Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

If you had to name one Charlton icon, who would it be?

Comments

• Options
    Kish.
  • Options
    KP for me for all the reasons stated by others.
  • Options
    Killer. When strikers were strikers & beards were beards.
  • Options
    Derek Hales and Eddie Firmani.
  • Options
    Killer
  • Options
    Derek Hales. Some of my earliest memories of Charlton were chanting his nickname.
  • Options
    Yohann Thuram-Ulien
  • Options
    Kim Grant/David Whyte for me.
  • Options
    First name I thought when I saw the thread title............. Killer.

I even painted a beard on my No. 8 Charlton Subutteo team.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Player - Bartram

Manager - Seed

Non-footballing staff - until he blotted his copybook under Roland, it would have been Richard Murray.
  • Options
    Killer
  • Options
    Mick Everett
  • Options
    Solidgone said:

Dick Tydeman

Heard shouted from the East Terrace: "Stretch your legs, Tiddman"!!
  • Options
    The Peanut Salesman "Tanner a bag"
  • Options
    Leaburn (Sorry Tracey, not you!)
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    So many posts yet no-one has mentioned Stuart Leary.

Alf Ramsey famously defended his selecting Martin Peters by saying he was "ten years ahead of his time". The same was true of Leary.

A fabulous footballer badly treated by Charlton at the end, as several of our heroes have been. And snubbed by England. He was English enough to star for the u23s and to do National Service in the RAF, but not to be picked for the full team.

However, looking at the bigger picture, Jimmy Seed and Alan Curbishley probably did the most to shape our club. On the other side, we have had some awful owners.
  • Options
    Leary was a footballer, not a football. Why does this board not allow edits, at least for a short time after posting?
  • Options

Leary was a footballer, not a football. Why does this board not allow edits, at least for a short time after posting?

It does!

Hover over your post and a little icon appears top right of your post - click and it says Edit with the number of hours left - you can edit for up to 24 hours after you post.
  • Options
    Easy one for me, Kinsella. Was a very good player who stepped up every level he played. Was everything you wanted in a captain too.

Mendonca isn’t far behind but didn’t really get a chance to prove it at the top level.

Powell, Brown and Rufus complete the top 5
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sir Derek of Hales. When I was introduced to football on a Saturday, he was probably the reason I enjoyed it so much, I got hooked.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Sam Bartram who lost 6 years of his career and yet still played 579 over 22 years.

Jimmy Seed 23 years manager, finish 2nd, 4th and 3rd in top division before war and 2 finals after WW2. Lack of ambition by owners stopped Jimmy emulating Herbert Chapman etc.

Clive Mendonca, short stay because of injuries but gave Cafc supporters the best feeling they will ever have following the Addicks. Super Clive scored the best quality hat trick ever seen at Wembley.

Perm any one from 3.

I will go for Jimmy Seed.

• Options
    Difficult question because what are the criteria to decide?

In my view longevity and /or lasting impact.

With that premise in mind and in approximate chronological order my suggested 10 candidates are:

E Heath the original secretary of the Club who, I believe, saw us through from foundation into the football league.

David Clark of Humphreys builders and subsequent director and caretaker manager whose presence saved us going down the pan from entry to the league until takeover by the Glikstens.

Jimmy Seed arguably our most successful manager.

Sam Bartram our longest serving player.

Keith Peacock player, scout, coach, assistant manager, caretaker manager, ambassador

Lennie Lawrence manager who somehow held the Club together in a foreign country and in the top tier for most of that time.

Roger Alwen Instrumental in getting us back from that foreign country

Richard Murray Helped out Alwen in the early days and provided the impetus to get and keep us in the Premiership.

Alan Curbishley player and manager. As manager sustained us as competitive n the top tier with a budget far inferior to most of his competitors.

Last but not necessarily least Charlie Hall Trainer from the thirties to the eighties.

• Options
    The real Len Glover was my hero as a lad. Now the current posting of “ LenGlover” is one I totally agree with.
  • Options
    After JS, SCP.

Future icon - Mr Zyro.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

After JS, SCP.

Future icon - Mr Zyro.

He could be the new Yann but I'd rather he became the first Żyro.
  • Options
    Kp, curbs and scp.
  • Options
    Roger Johnson
  • Options
    Heston. Screen icon.