Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Heartbreaking

I have just watched this on BBC.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-43507747/mummy-s-not-got-money-the-children-in-poverty-in-oldham

Watching it breaks my heart, the poor children have no control over what is happening to them or understanding on how it is potentially setting out their future without them knowing.

I am very lucky, I am not rich, far from it, but very thankful that I have not had to worry about feeding my kids or having to decide whether we can have the heating on.

Comments

• Options
    Just watched it myself and reduced to tears. This can't be GB in 2018! So sad to see honest, hardworking families struggling. Universal credit has been a nightmare for so many people and should never have been rolled out until it was perfected. Working families should not be worse off!
    I don't care about the politics of it but food, heating and a home should be a right in this country that every child is entitled to have.
    Whilst I gladly donate to our local food bank at the supermarket every week, I hadn't realised how dependent some families and individuals are on these donations. But the food is only the tip of the iceberg for them.
    How can these children concentrate in school or aspire to higher education to better their lives? Made me so sad and very angry watching it.
  • Options
    A while back I spoke at length to a schoolteacher from a school in New Addington. I won’t post the details on here, but believe me, the details would shock anybody. From poverty to day to day abuse. The teachers are helpless and can do nothing. Sad world we live in.
  • Options
    i know its really easy to just blame the government, but for example the other week there was program on overweight and on benefits, there was a women who weighed something like 39 stone, her her husband and son sat around the house all day eating and drinking shit all paid for by benefits can someone explain how that's theresa may or how that is any part of tory ideololgy?, i pointed out a few other factors which do add to the reasons of poverty in this country.
  • Options
    masicat said:

This is why I get so frustrated at the amount of aid that goes overseas 0.7% ( not saying it’s not worthy ) but get our own house in order, also the amount of benefit scroungers contributes massively to why we see this sort of thing becoming a constant, will probably get flagged for this but isn't that amount of immigration also a factor?.

Dear oh Dear.
    whats up too much almond milk on your corn flakes?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    There is such a thing as 'Tory ideology'?
    In my over 60 years I am yet to suss out what that is.
  • Options

This is why I get so frustrated at the amount of aid that goes overseas 0.7% ( not saying it’s not worthy ) but get our own house in order, also the amount of benefit scroungers contributes massively to why we see this sort of thing becoming a constant, will probably get flagged for this but isn't that amount of immigration also a factor?.

Hard to find exact figures, but found numbers for 2014. After you strip out money reclaimed, fraudulent benefits paid came in at around £2billion. Total benefits to EU immigrants came in at around £0.5billion, meaning that EU immigrants were a net £3billion to the UK economy.

Meanwhile HMRC estimates tax evasion cost the UK economy £34billion.

This vilification of the poor and immigrants needs to stop. Vodafone have stolen more from the UK economy than all the benefit cheats combined!
    i wasn't vilifying anyone, so please lets not go down that route.
    and i didn't mention just eu immigrants - i clearly said immigration
    again lets not change it to suit the argument.

as per my opening post on this thread i said these were factors? not the only factors - but they are issues that add to the mess this country is in.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

There is such a thing as 'Tory ideology'?
    In my over 60 years I am yet to suss out what that is.

I think it’s based on opportunism. Whatever policy works for the rich and privileged at any one time is Tory ideology.

• Options

i know its really easy to just blame the government, but for example the other week there was program on overweight and on benefits, there was a women who weighed something like 39 stone, her her husband and son sat around the house all day eating and drinking shit all paid for by benefits can someone explain how that's theresa may or how that is any part of tory ideololgy?, i pointed out a few other factors which do add to the reasons of poverty in this country.

You are the problem, pick on one extreme example that the suck up media feeds you, and trot it out as the norm...

• Options
    edited March 2018
    The problem is, the scroungers and cheats - no matter how few of them are - make it difficult for those who are really in need by giving the perception that everyone on benefits is somehow screwing the system.

I do think all those featured in that item would hugely benefit from some sound financial and household budgetary advice. There are many, many more families in similar circumstances who manage to cope on the same level of support

They were all living in nice homes - though the single dad's was a tip, not sure why he cannot at least keep it tidy, especially as he knew the cameras were going to be there - and all the children were well clothed. I'm pretty sure a few tweaks in their lifestyle would benefit them - even if it only makes them better off by 2 or 3 quid a week. Could make all the difference.

No way should we touch our overseas aid budget. It is exactly what this Country should ring fence and it's something I'm proud of, despite the clamour to reduce it. I'm really pleased the Tories have decided to leave it as a percentage of our GDP.

Just because you live in one cosy room of a house, doesn't mean you can forget about all the other rooms.

• Options
    There is no straightforward solution as poverty rates are relatively similar across most of the developed world, each of which have gone through varying degrees of Left or Right governments and have various approaches to taxation and welfare etc..

It's clearly no comfort from those below the poverty line in the UK nor is it an impact to belittle their suffering, but as a frequent visitor to (and former resident of) the USA, the deprivation over there is quite extraordinary.
  • Options
    Will watch this later, but highly reccomend season 3-4 of the wire which is the best explanation of how these kids get trapped in poverty for their whole lives in the western world I’ve ever seen.
  • Options

That example is nothing to do with foreign aid or immigration either.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Addickted said:

The problem is, the scroungers and cheats - no matter how few of them are - make it difficult for those who are really in need by giving the perception that everyone on benefits is somehow screwing the system.

I do think all those featured in that item would hugely benefit from some sound financial and household budgetary advice. There are many, many more families in similar circumstances who manage to cope on the same level of support

They were all living in nice homes - though the single dad's was a tip, not sure why he cannot at least keep it tidy, especially as he knew the cameras were going to be there - and all the children were well clothed. I pretty sure a few tweaks in their lifestyle would benefit them - even if it only makes them better off by 2 or 3 quid a week. Could make all the difference.

No way should we touch our overseas aid budget. It is exactly what this Country should ring fence and it's something I'm proud of, despite the clamour to reduce it, I really pleased the Tories have decided to leave it as a percentage of our GDP.

Just because you love in one cosy room of a house, doesn't mean you can forget about all the other rooms.

Foreign aid also helps with our security, like it or not.
  • Options
    I feel like that when I walk round Woolwich. I wonder how some of the people survive, in what is becoming a very expensive area to live. I find myself worrying more and more about it as I get older and am thankful for what I have, which isn't a lot, but enough.

I received my yearly tax statement this week. On the back page it lists exactly what my tax went on down to the pound. Overseas aid was second to bottom I think. I need to check it again.

It's an interesting read - is that a new thing as I've never noticed it before?
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

I feel like that when I walk round Woolwich. I wonder how some of the people survive, in what is becoming a very expensive area to live. I find myself worrying more and more about it as I get older and am thankful for what I have, which isn't a lot, but enough.

I received my yearly tax statement this week. On the back page it lists exactly what my tax went on down to the pound. Overseas aid was second to bottom I think. I need to check it again.

5th to bottom was "Aid to the victims of headlocks"
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

I often think the same. I don't see the solutions being banded around by left or right wing ideologues actually working and it feels like the problem is just getting worse.
  • Options
    I will probably be shouted down on here, but I do think the word "poverty" is entirely wrong for the UK. I know the Rowntree Organisation has a definition of the word, but I think its plain wrong. There are plenty of places in the world where people live in poverty, but if you have a roof over your head, electricity, all mod cons (oven, microwave, tv etc) then I don't think you live in poverty.

The man with FOUR kids had his benefits capped at £20,000 !!! and they said that he would get more if he worked 16 hours a week. I can't believe he can't work 3.5 hours a day whilst his kids are at school - they didn't look like babes-in-arms & even the youngest would get free nursery place for that amount of time. Of course, no mention of where his wife his & why he has FOUR kids.

• Options
    edited March 2018
    Addickted said:

The media provide "the perception that everyone on benefits is somehow screwing the system".
    Gutter rags like The Sun and the Daily Mail, just a couple of examples. And it's part of their agenda.

People read this stuff and believe it to be true.

It's like saying all football fans are hooligans.
    There might be a percentage, but it only will be a tiny percentage of true fans.

Likewise, those on benefits.
    A tiny percentage may be shysters - but then, most of those couldn't get past the interview process, let alone keep a job.

Others are disabled, sick or have hit hard times which they cannot mentally cope with.
    But the biggest number of claimants are those working, with young children.

I'll say that again, the biggest number of claimants are those working, with young children.

• Options

Curb_It said:

I often think the same. I don't see the solutions being banded around by left or right wing ideologues actually working and it feels like the problem is just getting worse.
    That's because the solutions are very complicated, very expensive and very time consuming (and take a generation or two for the effects to be seen). The money would have to come from somewhere, and would be a tough sell for the government, particularly one that likes to blame people rather than help them.

aside from providing affordable social housing, there would need to be some incentive to provide jobs, for a workforce that is unskilled, possibly poorly motivated ad educated, and try to bring about cultural change to cause a long term beak in the poverty cycle. This will involve joined up efforts amongst government sectors, employers, and the charity sector. It can be done I reckon.
  • Options
    edited March 2018

i pointed out a few other factors which do add to the reasons of poverty in this country.

And that's the point. They may "add" to the poverty by making it worse but the poverty will still be there.

Cutting foreign aid and banning immigration won't be magic wands. The reasons behind the poverty, as Leroy listed above, are far more complex and deep rooted and so need long term solutions like more social housing, better transport, better schools, industry and jobs, better health care, price controls on essential items like gas and electric, properly managed benefits.

It will take more than the little extra money saved from foreign aid to achieve all that. It needs a long term plan and the political will to implement it but neither party has offered that while the both the mainstream and fringe parties just offer sound bites like "£350m a week for the NHS" "No magic money tree", etc etc or try to blame "them" for all the problems.

masicat said:

masicat said:

Dear oh Dear.
    whats up too much almond milk on your corn flakes?
    As you came to price my wardrobes but were too busy to get back to me with a proper price in a reasonable time due to ‘workload’, I wonder. 1. Did I strike you as a snowflake ? and 2. Maybe less time on here and more attending to work issues would be a good move?
    Wardrobes? never met you before in my life.
  • Options

That example is nothing to do with foreign aid or immigration either.
    It is to do with cheating the system and generally being a lazy slob