Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

London to Paris Cycle - HEEEEELP!! :o)

Posted on the "lycra" thread but think it's gone into hibernation until the sun comes out. Bit of advice needed from some of the well-peddled on here as sure a few have done this ride already and I am riding solo so need all the help I can get:

This Summer, to get away from the wife and kids, I've decided to do a three-day ride from Tower Bridge to Eiffel Tower (London - Newhaven, Dieppe - Paris), and will be following Donald Hirsch's route on the French side.

Just wondered if anyone's done this particular journey as would appreciate any views / tips, especially on which route to take to Newhaven, accom. recommendations for stopover in Dieppe (end of Day 1), and somewhere to stay 80-odd miles into the French route!?!?!?

Hopefully by the time I get back we'll be owned by a Pan-ArabIndoAsiaYank consortium and signed Messi, Ronaldo and Zheng Zhi!?!?!?

Comments

• I rode London to Paris in 2012, went via Dover/Calais, Arras and Compiegne over 3 days in a group of about 20 of us, supported by a van carrying out luggage.

Eat and drink regularly, slap on the chamois cream and make sure there’s someone to take a photo of you with your bike aloft at the end.
  • Done it twice, both times got the overnight ferry from Newhaven so can't help with the first accommodation question. First time stayed in Gisors on the way to Paris and on the second just went straight through to Paris - had a beer and cycled back.

I'll dig out our route from London to Newhaven last year as that was pretty good. The French side was a bit pants for last 100k, but the first bit with Avenue Vert is great.
  • I once went from Eltham to Crystal Palace park on Grifter if that helps?!?

Used to love my Grifter!
  • There's got to be easier ways to get away from the wife and kids. Couldn't you have just...gone down the pub or something?
  • edited March 2018
    JohnBoyUK said:

I rode London to Paris in 2012, went via Dover/Calais, Arras and Compiegne over 3 days in a group of about 20 of us, supported by a van carrying out luggage.

Eat and drink regularly, slap on the chamois cream and make sure there’s someone to take a photo of you with your bike aloft at the end.

Did it last year as an absolute rookie who hadn't ridden a bike in 6+ months... would echo that chamois made it bearable, I also 'underfuelled' (i.e. turned up late with a hangover and no time for breakfast) - legs had gone by Guildford and was close to packing up and going home by Portsmouth at ~100 miles.

It's a bit different so may not help, but our route was:
    Day 1: London to Portsmouth (real slog)
    overnight ferry to La Havre
    Day 2: La Havre to Evreaux (absolutely stunning cycle)
    airbnb
    Day 3: Evreaux to Paris (actually really struggled to find a 'good' way into Paris)

Worst bit was the way into Paris, I think we perhaps made a pigs ear of it as it was a horrible cycle and actually jumped on a commuter train for the very last 10+ miles as the roads we hit got a bit unsafe (basically motorways/fast dual carriageways with no hard shoulder). So I'd make sure you get that approach right.

Edit: Just asked, and the app our 'leader' was using was Garmin Connect and was good, can download maps etc.
  • edited March 2018
    Real Charlton would just nail it in one hit.
  • Real Charlton would just nail it in one hit.

Done it twice. The long way round. In 24 hours.

That sounds mental, but it really isn't. We've got a poster here who has done far, far more insane rides than that... Like crossing Europe in about 12 days. Now THAT'S real Charlton :lol:
  • Sponsored links:

• Redrobo said:

That sounds mental, but it really isn't. We've got a poster here who has done far, far more insane rides than that... Like crossing Europe in about 12 days. Now THAT'S real Charlton :lol:
    Nah, proper Charlton would go by train.
    And then moan about the train being cancelled...
  • Thanks, so I'll change bike to a grifter, only ride to the local pub, then train it rest of way......sorted!!!!!

@Oh_Yoni_Boy Paris is mental, so can see why you ditched the roads. Will check out Garmin Connect.

@olster that's a helluva ride, chapeau!!!

@JohnBoyUK chamois all the way for sure, and looking forward to celebratory pic under the Tour......then pub.
  • Real Charlton would just nail it in one hit.

15 ;-)
  • olster said:

15 ;-)
    Still mental :lol: