Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

***Protest Fund - Update and Appeal for Donations***

Background

About one month ago I drafted and agreed with @Curb_It a “final report” on the Protest Fund. We intended to issue this when the takeover was confirmed - which at the time we believed to be very close. We even advised those still paying into the Protest Fund each month to cease their contributions.

We had also given some thought to what we might do, on behalf of all our contributors, with the leftover funds. These would principally have been donated to good causes and initiatives aimed at rebuilding the lost and fractured fan base.

Sadly now, there appears to be considerable doubt over the timing and actual completion of a takeover and a new wave of protests has been announced.

Current Financial Position

A full report on income and expenditure will be provided, as usual, in the end of season report - or in the final report issued when a takeover is completed, if that (hopefully) is sooner.

The balance on hand is currently just over £4,000.

Appeal

This is a reasonably healthy sum but not enough to fully support the kind of protests CARD are proposing to stage between now and the end of the season, which we hope will put further pressure on Duchatelet to bring the takeover saga to a satisfactory conclusion.

Typically, the cost of staging a significant protest in the UK ranges between £3,000 (e.g. Sheffield United) and £5,500 (e.g. Brighton, Coventry), whilst the Unity Protest in Belgium cost close to £7,500.

Prices of materials will have generally increased over the past year, not least as a result of currency exchange rates deteriorating as markets responded to the Brexit vote.

We are therefore now making a special appeal for donations to help this final push to rid Charlton of the Duchatelet regime for ever.

Please, if you can, donate on-line to:

Protest Fund
Sort code 20-68-04
Account number 50661678

Or you can pay by Paypal: protestfund@gmail.com

Thank you.

Davo55 and Curb_It

Comments

• stonemuse said:

Done

Fantastic quick response. Thanks so much @stonemuse
  • I’ll put in shortly, may I recommend when the day does come that the deal is concluded, if there is any surplus whatsoever that some of it could go here to help this family and fellow charlton fans

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/helpjackcafcbeatcancer
  • As this appeal seems to follow on from a previous thread where this protest fund was linked with giving financial support to ROT, I think that it should be made clear that ROT, have not received any monies whatsoever from this fund.
  • Mametz said:

As this appeal seems to follow on from a previous thread where this protest fund was linked with giving financial support to ROT, I think that it should be made clear that ROT, have not received any monies whatsoever from this fund.

Timely to repeat here then what I said in the other thread, that the protest fund exists for the benefit of all protest groups/individuals, not just CARD. I only mentioned CARD in the OP because they have made an application for funding.

If ROT want to apply for funding (which they have not yet done), we will consider the case on it's merits.
  • Done
  • Sponsored links:

• Davo55 said:

Mametz said:

As this appeal seems to follow on from a previous thread where this protest fund was linked with giving financial support to ROT, I think that it should be made clear that ROT, have not received any monies whatsoever from this fund.

Timely to repeat here then what I said in the other thread, that the protest fund exists for the benefit of all protest groups/individuals, not just CARD. I only mentioned CARD in the OP because they have made an application for funding.

If ROT want to apply for funding (which they have not yet done), we will consider the case on it's merits.</

My post was intended to be a one off statement of fact in order to correct any misunderstanding arising from another post.

However I feel that you are being more than a little disingenuous in your reply. You and I were both present when an embryonic ROT pitched the concept of a political party. Following this, one of the founders of ROT asked if they could be considered for some funding. You left him a voicemail saying no. Therefore he didn't put in any official application.

In short it appears that the Fund said " don't bother applying because you're not getting anything" but when someone says the fund has not contributed to this project, the Fund says " Ah, but you haven't applied"!
  • edited March 2018
    I dont know all the ins and outs of all this but I'd imagine the ROT plans were maybe too embryonic at that stage? Also imagine the answer was more a "not right now" rather than "never"?
  • edited March 2018
    This beggars belief it really does. It's a fact that the protest fund has said yes to various non-CARD initiatives and no to some CARD has proposed. Each on its merits, perhaps ROT's request lacked something that I'm quite sure Davo explained when turning whatever request down.

To be frank, it seems to me there is one group anxious for self-promotion when all the others are anxious for change. Interesting that CARD has all the media skills and none of the clamour for individual attention / recognition.

Ed: probably worth adding that CARD has no input whatsoever into funding decisions. Requests for funding are, however, usually well reasoned and the benefits to the cause well considered and articulated. The advantage to CARD of Davo and Curb_it seeing the journey first hand is also a disadvantage in that all the negatives are equally exposed. Get a grip people.
  • I dont know all the ins and outs of all this but I'd imagine the ROT plans were maybe too embryonic at that stage? Also imagine the answer was more a "not right now" rather than "never"?

You may possibly be right about timing. However the implication of the initial response was not that the ROT plan was wrong or not thought through, but that ROT hadn't made any request for funding.
  • edited March 2018
    Addickted said:

Please dont take this response as a sllght on any of the Protest activities thus far, however, I do have some concerns and note that these are my personal concerns, not those of any group(s) that I might be associated with….

In Davos own words….-‘The Protest Fund remains available for any individuals or groups who want to stage a protest’.....

If you look at CL, I think its fairly unanimously agreed that protesting in Belgium is the way to annoy him…. Which group is eponymously linked to that approach? yet has received very little funding despite frequently pitching for financial support from the Fund?
    I know that the B20 for example has got so disenchanted with the fund mechanism that we don’t bother asking any more – everything is funded by the individuals themselves- and a heck of a lot of money has been spent, as you will no doubt understand.
    I believe that ROT has received the same reception- could be wrong- I’m not involved with ROT.
    40k in the fund at one point ? – that’s a lot of Rosettes and foam pigs and taxis – but I can say that ,joking apart, Foam taxis, Rosettes ARE accepted and funded. Whereas the B20 leaflets,stunts,equipment generally are not – so we fund it all ourselves.

As I said, Its to the point now where the B20 don’t even bother asking. They just fund it themselves,Some individuals to the estimate of 3k over the past 2 years. Other groups I know to be the same. I know Davo will bring out the rhetoric (and its not a personal dig at him) and say that funding was there , but in our experience, anything CARD related has typically been funded, whereas B20 related there were several hoops, obstacles and provisos placed in our way. We are just fortunate that we are a group prepared to get off our arses and put some of our own money towards something we have a passionate belief in.
    In my experience over the past 2 years, CARD has become a clique, mostly full of self-appointed members obsessed with their own self-importance along with an obvious self-appointed leader.
    Donate if you want to- please don’t stop the fight to RD – but I feel the (very) obvious association of CARD with the Protest Fund needs to be looked at.

This is not true.

The first B20 visit was partially funded by both the protest fund and the Spell it Out group.

SiO paid for the B20's match tickets for us to protest in the Satyen and the Protest fund paid for the printing of the English/Dutch leaflets. They also did the design/layout.

Edit: I paid for my own bail :blush:

Thanks for confirming that @Addickted

Never been part of CARD but was happy to support their protests as well as being part of the original Belgium 20.

Very poor post by the President
  • Sponsored links:

• Genius but now totally confused here @LoOkOuT! Please clarify which group has to write "Roland out" in Latin 100 times on the back wall of the Covered End?
  • @Weegie Addick Another common misconception: it was along Floyd Road, it was "Roland go home", and it was done by a very naughty boy.

• Nice one Centurion.
  • It goes without saying what a great job WAR has done and is doing so I didn't say it :)