Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

what's the biggest football crowd you've been in

I got along to a few cup finals in days gone by so I know i've been in crowds of 100k...but in recent years probably 65k (i think) for england v france in portugal is the biggest crowd for me...& as for charlton, the ot cup match with 10k of us in attendance was nearly 45k (i think) beaten by around 55k (?) for the 68/69 arsenal fa cup match at highbury but i've not seen us in a bigger gate during our pl days as i've not been to ot or highbury of late...biggest gate at the valley is definitely more than the current capacity but will never be known because none of us ever believed the 'official gates' given out in the 70's when there were times when we were packed in like sardines and only twenty something thousand supposedly inside the ground...

Comments

• Options
    Playoff Final
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: CharltonDan[/cite]Playoff Final

bloody 'ell, how did i forget that ???...
  • Options
    Old Trafford - 67k I think?
  • Options
    prob brazil v oz at the world cup last year. it was sold out and was in the allianz arena, munic. so whatever the capacity of that was.
    unless the playoff final was more.
  • Options
    play off final was 77k, which i think even beats the two england games i went to at wembley in euro '96
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]prob brazil v oz at the world cup last year. it was sold out and was in the allianz arena, munic. so whatever the capacity of that was.
    unless the playoff final was more.

Play off final was more.

Biggest was Spain v Poland in the Olympics gold medal game in 1992 in Barcelona, 102,000 in the Nou Camp. After that, 88,800 at Wembley on Friday.
  • Options
    Play off final. Other than that Chelski v Spuds 1971/2 approx 64,000
  • Options
    88,800 England V Brazil, sadly it was quantity and not quality...

Been to a 70k+ cricket match as well!
  • Options
    Play off final for me too I think.

I did go to see Barcelona v Getafe at the Nou Camp a couple of weeks ago - it wasn't full so hard to say what the attendance was (I can't look it up as all sports sites are banned by my firewall (other than Charlton life thank God!).
  • Options
    ltgtr, around 55k (?) for the 68/69 arsenal fa cup match at highbury - I was there too, unluckily lost 2-0.

Our play off, OT,

In Italia '90 World Cup, I saw England beat Cameroon 3-2 in the quarter final in Napoli, anyone know what the crowd was?

At The Valley in the old terracing days, there was 30,000 + against Millwall in the late 60's, Spurs in '77 when we won
    4-1, and maybe a cup matches against West Ham. Good gate against Derby in '69, also.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    88k on Friday.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]ltgtr, around 55k (?) for the 68/69 arsenal fa cup match at highbury - I was there too, unluckily lost 2-0.

In Italia '90 World Cup, I saw England beat Cameroon 3-2 in the quarter final in Napoli, anyone know what the crowd was?

• Options
    Oggy said.....In Italia '90 World Cup, I saw England beat Cameroon 3-2 in the quarter final in Napoli, anyone know what the crowd was?

Oggy, I was at that one, but dont remember it even fully selling out to be honest, or the ground being that big, such was Englands rep then. Thought the locals were very accomodating to England fans, in stark contract to the turin locals for the game v Germany a few days later, which is prob the biggest crowd I have been in, if bigger than playn off final.
  • Options
    I was at the Wimbledon V Liverpool cup final in 88 ???.....still standing behind the goal then so must've been close on 100k
  • Options
    88K on Friday for me too
  • Options
    what was the total for play off final then?
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Steve dowman[/cite]Oggy said.....In Italia '90 World Cup, I saw England beat Cameroon 3-2 in the quarter final in Napoli, anyone know what the crowd was?

Oggy, I was at that one, but dont remember it even fully selling out to be honest, or the ground being that big, such was Englands rep then. Thought the locals were very accomodating to England fans, in stark contract to the turin locals for the game v Germany a few days later, which is prob the biggest crowd I have been in, if bigger than playn off final.[/quote]

just looked it up and actually 74k v Cameroon compared to 73k v germany, surprised at that.
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited June 2007
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]what was the total for play off final then?
  • Options
    The Old Wembley for England V Scotland over 90k I think.
  • Options
    Play Off History

Was looking down the list above and there are some names who have played and scored in these finals - interesting!

Well i found it interesting anyway!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Although it wasnt football related Carlton Vs Essedon (AFL football at the MCG (Melbourne Cricket Ground) they moaned about the attendance and it was virtually DOUBLE what we have at the Valley and they just couldn't understand that when I said for me that was the biggest crowd I have ever been in...