Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Darron Gibson

In August 2015, Gibson was charged with driving without due care and attention, driving with excess alcohol and failing to stop after a road traffic collision in Altrincham, Greater Manchester.

In September 2015 he admitted to drink driving, careless driving and failing to stop at the scene of an accident and was sentenced to a 12-month community order and banned from driving for 20 months.

Today?

Comments

• Apparently already in a ban according to a Mackem fan
  • Swisdom said:

Apparently already in a ban according to a Mackem fan

...and the original post!
  • Chizz said:

Swisdom said:

Original post said 20 months from September 2015 didn’t it?
  • Lock him up and throw away the key. Job done
  • buckshee said:

Chizz said:

Swisdom said:

Original post said 20 months from September 2015 didn’t it?
    Yes his previous ban would surely be over. This time, a bigger ban plus a custodial sentence?
  • Think his 'problem' would pale into insignificance compared with the 'problems' he'd have caused the parents of an eight year old girl I knew (killed by a drunk driver). Sympathy for alcoholics is one thing. Sympathy for drunk drivers is something completely different.

Agree. I haven't compared the 'problems'.

Just think it's a bit rich when the morality men pick and choose who is ripe for condemnation and who should be understood, supported and deemed to have a problem worthy of their attention.
  • Sponsored links:

• Sad to see someone potentially struggling with an alcohol problem and/or mental health issues.

Would expect a bit more empathy from those that are quick to pull others up for such transgressions.

Don't buy this at all - if he has an alcohol problem he shouldn't drive. Lots of people have mental health/alcohol issues who don't jump in a car and endanger other people's lives.

Selfish, irresponsible and dangerous - the twat coulď easily have killed someone.
    You're right, some of them kill themselves, blow people up, maim innocent members of the public and the like. Plenty of people play the 'understanding' and 'let's wait for all the facts' cards on those occasions but are the first out with the knives on this one.
  • Sad to see someone potentially struggling with an alcohol problem and/or mental health issues.

Would expect a bit more empathy from those that are quick to pull others up for such transgressions.

Don't buy this at all - if he has an alcohol problem he shouldn't drive. Lots of people have mental health/alcohol issues who don't jump in a car and endanger other people's lives.

Selfish, irresponsible and dangerous - the twat coulď easily have killed someone.
    You're right, some of them kill themselves, blow people up, maim innocent members of the public and the like. Plenty of people play the 'understanding' and 'let's wait for all the facts' cards on those occasions but are the first out with the knives on this one.
    I don't think anyone's "out with the knives". Reckless and dangerous behaviour deserves to be called out for vilification at any time, especially when it's repeated.

You don't have to condemn someone for doing this. But anyone who does so, doesn't really deserve criticism.
  • Chizz said:

Sad to see someone potentially struggling with an alcohol problem and/or mental health issues.

I don't think anyone's "out with the knives". Reckless and dangerous behaviour deserves to be called out for vilification at any time, especially when it's repeated.

You don't have to condemn someone for doing this. But anyone who does so, doesn't really deserve criticism.
    I'll stick that one in my back pocket as I feel it won't be long before it makes an appearance again.

We'll see how the double standards play out.
  • Chizz said:

Sad to see someone potentially struggling with an alcohol problem and/or mental health issues.

I'll stick that one in my back pocket as I feel it won't be long before it makes an appearance again.

There are two sides to this story, as there are with many others. In this instance, someone with a terrible record of behaviour has repeated it, endangering himself and many others. He deserves criticism. That criticism may well be mitigated if more facts come to light: there may be reasons for his selfish, dangerous, illegal and stupid behaviour.

But if you'd prefer to spend your time criticising people for criticising him, fill your boots.
  • Chizz said:

Chizz said:

There are two sides to this story, as there are with many others. In this instance, someone with a terrible record of behaviour has repeated it, endangering himself and many others. He deserves criticism. That criticism may well be mitigated if more facts come to light: there may be reasons for his selfish, dangerous, illegal and stupid behaviour.

But if you'd prefer to spend your time criticising people for criticising him, fill your boots.
    Nice try. I'm criticising the lack of 'trying to understand' that is usually wheeled out.

Is this actually news? I was going to start a thread on the never to be spoken about Telford happenings but fear I'd be told that the Gibson and Carragher stories are far more newsworthy and debatable.

Funny old times we live in.
  • se9addick said:

Chizz said:

Yeah, criticising a bloke with multiple drink driving offences after he does the same again - PC gone mad
    Not what I've said though, is it?
  • Chizz said:

clive said:
    Good!
    It's not that good, he'll still be paid until they hold an enquiry.

Makes you wonder just how many times he's done the same thing and got away with it, if he’s been caught 3 times in the space of a few years.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2018

Chizz said:

clive said:
    Good!
    It's not that good, he'll still be paid until they hold an enquiry.

Makes you wonder just how many times he's done the same thing and got away with it, if he’s been caught 3 times in the space of a few years.
    Well, its good that they've at least done something. But I don't think he should be very confident that he will be picking up all his wages during the rest of the season.
  • The biggest mystery is why Sunderland signed an alcoholic with two drink driving bans who was always pretty rubbish anyway.

Ah, David Moyes you say?
  • Well, he is Irish and it was the day to celebrate the death of some christian geezer around 1,557 years ago.
  • Pissed on Paddies day, bloke is a walking car crash, if that makes sense, and should be locked up, no excuse whatsoever.
  • He was either under the influence again or he is a rubbish driver.
    If found guilty for the second time he should lose his licence for at least 10 years as next time it won't just be cars that are wrecked.
    Gibson is still on a premier wage even thou Sunderland will be playing CAFC next season.
    He is lucky that he can afford taxis if traveling on public transport is beneath him.
    Luke McCormack's madness at driving in the early hours in a dangerous way when still twice the legal limit cost the lives of two young boys. Darron Gibson's drinking habits should have been sorted out long ago. Let's not feel sorry for a wealthy young feller but the protential victims in the future of over the limit drivers.

• Gibson's contract expires in June - by the time he serves his sentence he'll be 30+ and unwanted in the professional game.

Just another player who pissed his future away, only positive thing is that he has managed to avoid hurting anyone else.

I don't really understand your line of argument? We have a thread about drink driving which we're condemning yet you drag in stuff which is completely unrelated.

It's not a one-off with Gibson so I think any right he had to sympathy disappeared a long time ago. People who drink or use phones when driving are endangering others and need to be punished.

If you're over the limit get a taxi. He made the choice to drive as far as I understand - if he was in the grip of a terrible mental health condition he would have been sectioned.

• I expect the public at large will far more sympathy for Ant McPartlin (if you spell it that way) as society does seem to enjoy hating footballers.

I don't really understand your line of argument? We have a thread about drink driving which we're condemning yet you drag in stuff which is completely unrelated.

It's not a one-off with Gibson so I think any right he had to sympathy disappeared a long time ago. People who drink or use phones when driving are endangering others and need to be punished.

If you're over the limit get a taxi. He made the choice to drive as far as I understand - if he was in the grip of a terrible mental health condition he would have been sectioned.

There are times when crimes are committed whereby people clamour to claim that the individual was mentally ill, usually to try and ward off the uncomfortable truth as to why people do things they shouldn't, yet you say that if someone is in the grips of a mental illness (I didn't use the term 'terrible mental health condition', but we'll go with it) then they would have been sectioned. That essentially means that no crime can be committed by a mentally ill person as they'd have been sectioned before the crime had been committed.

That rubbishes plenty of former claims that mentally ill people carried out some rather nasty stuff. Why did this never come to light before? Because people pick and choose what mental illnessesthey deem to be worthy of their sympathy.

I see that the big forheaded one from Ant & Dec has been arrested on suspicion of drink driving. Really looking forward to the court of CL reconvening on that one.