Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Good books, badly adapted for the screen.

124»

Comments

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    I can’t watch these films as they are horrifically miscast. James Patterson’s Kiss the Girls. Morgan Freeman just isn’t Alex Cross. He is more of a Denzel Washington character in the book. The Jack Reacher film. Anyone who has read the books would have been aghast at Tom Cruise playing the 6 foot 4 ex military policeman. In my mind Reacher is a Lawrence Dallaglio type. These
    LBND would have been my choice to play Reacher as well.  Just finished the last, can wait for the next one already.  The one shot film was surprisingly close to the book, apart from his hight. 

The worst film to book ratio must be Captain Corelli's Mandolin one of if not the best book I have ever read and with out doubt one of the worst films I have ever seen. 
  • Options
    Can't remember if I've mentioned them before, but World War Z and The Beach are two of my favourite books and both are bang average films.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    agim said:
    Every Dan Brown adaptation. Has anyone seen Stephen Kings 11/22/63?
    Dan Brown books all contain a total lack of characterisation and thus empathy. It is almost impossible for a film to be worse. The Da Vinci Code certainly wasn't.

On Bond, his tour de force was The Spy Who Loved Me. No film could better it, least of all by Mr Eyebrow's acting.

Then there is one of my favourite book series, Reacher , a 6'6" hard-arse played by Cruise who is smaller than Solly.
  • Options
    I Am Legend....though i enjoyed the film, the book is 10x better & completely different in terms of there plots!
    There was a version of this years back with Charlton Heston, called The Omega Man? 
    That wasn’t much cop either compared to the book.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    MrOneLung said:
    I can’t watch these films as they are horrifically miscast. James Patterson’s Kiss the Girls. Morgan Freeman just isn’t Alex Cross. He is more of a Denzel Washington character in the book. The Jack Reacher film. Anyone who has read the books would have been aghast at Tom Cruise playing the 6 foot 4 ex military policeman. In my mind Reacher is a Lawrence Dallaglio type. These
    LBND would have been my choice to play Reacher as well.  Just finished the last, can wait for the next one already.  The one shot film was surprisingly close to the book, apart from his hight. 

The worst film to book ratio must be Captain Corelli's Mandolin one of if not the best book I have ever read and with out doubt one of the worst films I have ever seen. 
    Erm...I’m guessing I might’ve been whooshed, but you’re not really suggesting Lawrence Dallaglio should’ve been cast as Reacher just because he has the right build are you? Has he ever even acted?
    i agree with the fact that Tom Cruise is miscast, but there are plenty of forty-something actors who are big strong lads. You don’t need an English rugby player!
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    MrOneLung said:

Erm...I’m guessing I might’ve been whooshed, but you’re not really suggesting Lawrence Dallaglio should’ve been cast as Reacher just because he has the right build are you? Has he ever even acted?
    i agree with the fact that Tom Cruise is miscast, but there are plenty of forty-something actors who are big strong lads. You don’t need an English rugby player!
    I'm confident he wasn't suggesting big Lawrence was given the lead role more that the picture of Jack Reacher created by the author is of someone more akin to Dallaglio than Cruise who is a dwarf 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    MrOneLung said:

Do you not understand the difference between Lawrence Dallagio and "a Lawrence Dallagio type"? Is that why you chose not to use  quote button. I hate people that criticise others for something they didn't actually say. Right wing media tactics.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Cafc43v3r said:
    MrOneLung said:

Do you not understand the difference between Lawrence Dallagio and "a Lawrence Dallagio type"? Is that why you chose not to use  quote button. I hate people that criticise others for something they didn't actually say. Right wing media tactics.
    Someone allegedly makes a mistake (even though they didn't) and it's right wing media tactics.
    My God the far right & far left really do have mental issues.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    MrOneLung said:

Oh dear. Did you get really angry without reading it properly? I guess you hate yourself now?

For clarity, MrOneLung said “Lawrence Dallaglio type”.
    Cafc43v3r said “LBND would have been my choice to play Reacher as well.”
    Note, this last bit was the bit I put in bold - often used on CL to indicate the part being referenced.
    Note also, Cafc43v3r didn’t say “An LBND type”. He said LBND.

I do recognise that’s probably what they meant, hence I prefaced with the acknowledgement that I was probably being whooshed, but it’s not what they said.
    Oh, and I did use the quote button, that’s why all the comments are there in the quote boxes.

Try to read the whole thing before losing your head next time.  :)
  • Options
    Day of the Triffids... deserves better than Hammer version and better than sterile CGI.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Carter said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    MrOneLung said:

I'm confident he wasn't suggesting big Lawrence was given the lead role more that the picture of Jack Reacher created by the author is of someone more akin to Dallaglio than Cruise who is a dwarf 

I am nearly the same height as Tom Cruise, I feel very Grumpy now
  • Options
    3blokes said:
    I Am Legend....though i enjoyed the film, the book is 10x better & completely different in terms of there plots!
    There was a version of this years back with Charlton Heston, called The Omega Man? 
    That wasn’t much cop either compared to the book.
    The Omega Man was a great film, albeit looks very dated now.
    I Am Legend wasn't.
  • Options
    THE FIRM.

Loved the book. Absolutely despised the movie from the very first scene when they interview Cruise to join the firm.
  • Options
    THE FIRM.

Loved the book. Absolutely despised the movie from the very first scene when they interview Cruise to join the firm.
    The ending was completely different too. 
  • Options
    Not quite the thread title but just finished reading The Shining, which was dreadful- but the film is excellent. Kubrick made some masterful changes to story.
  • Options
    Another opposite case (average book, great film adaptation) is Atonement.

I watched the film first and absolutely loved it. Read the book a couple of years later and thought it was flat and boring. The film is one of my all-time favourites and the score is one of the most beautiful/saddest scores ever written I think. The original book was a big disappointment.
  • Options
    Football factory is a great shout. The John King books are brilliant observations of the life of a single working class man, headhunters, England away, human punk, white trash and skinheads all feature stuff that a lot of us can relate to 

The film of the football factory was fun but it completely missed the point and the hook of the book 

Kill your friends was an ok film but the book was never going to be an easy thing to even get past censors let alone audiences unfamiliar with the book. 

I'm glad most of the scene where Stelfox killed Roger was kept faithful and the dialogue of that was almost verbatim from the book 
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Cafc43v3r said:
    MrOneLung said:

Oh dear. Did you get really angry without reading it properly? I guess you hate yourself now?

For clarity, MrOneLung said “Lawrence Dallaglio type”.
    Cafc43v3r said “LBND would have been my choice to play Reacher as well.”
    Note, this last bit was the bit I put in bold - often used on CL to indicate the part being referenced.
    Note also, Cafc43v3r didn’t say “An LBND type”. He said LBND.

I do recognise that’s probably what they meant, hence I prefaced with the acknowledgement that I was probably being whooshed, but it’s not what they said.
    Oh, and I did use the quote button, that’s why all the comments are there in the quote boxes.

Try to read the whole thing before losing your head next time.  :)
    For the record I ment I would cast him as that's what I think reacher looks like.  It was not a serious suggestion that they should put a rugby player, with no acting experience in a Hollywood film.  But doesn't look like I am the only one that thinks that 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.rugbypass.com/news/the-rugby-star-that-inspired-22-books-and-a-blockbuster-film-series/
  • Options
    Clan of the Cave Bear, the book is fantastic. The film is utter tripe
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Starship Troopers 

Ok it's a guilty pleasure film, but next to nothing like it's source material with a lot of the actual points being completely missed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not quite the thread title but just finished reading The Shining, which was dreadful- but the film is excellent. Kubrick made some masterful changes to story.

I liked The Shining, both book and film
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest was a great book......but the film was even better.
    Strangely enough, back in the 70’s I lived in the house on Perry Lane in Menlo Park where Ken Kesey and Timothy Leary resided at one time......though that was a bit before my time.
    Another coincidence, I actually saw the film at The Stanford Theatre in Palo Alto (just a few minutes drive away), shortly after it was released. The entire audience stood and cheered and applauded at the end of the film, never seen that happen in a movie theatre before or since......quite incredible!
    It remains (and will for ever be), my favourite film of all time.

• Options
    edited April 2019
    If you just want a big geezer to play a part, I'd say Gillinghams keeper on saturday would be a good shout.

• Options
    Anything by Alan Moore bar V for Vendetta which isn’t bad.
    Good interview with Alan Moore here https://www.gq.com/story/alan-moore-interview where he confirms his disowning of all his work-for-hire comics and the spin-offs thereof.  I suspect he wouldn't like the film of V for Vendetta were he to ever watch it but I still maintain it's OK.