Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jim Davidson

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2019
    Well back in the day I found him very funny. 
    So did I but that was back in the day as you say. Davidson is still stuck there.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    He is now a bitter, spiteful and hateful man who, if he had a sell by date, is a long way past it. 

One of a growing number of ex celebs who are desperate for attention and the need  to remain current and decide the best way to do it is to be controversial.

Unfortunately it just comes across as nasty.
    Like him or loathe him, he still sells out gigs.
    I’m sure he does. There are some people who want to hear his brand of humour. The capacity of the venues he now performs in suggests such people are now fewer and farther between than a number of years ago, thankfully.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    shine166 said:
    shine166 said:
    He is now a bitter, spiteful and hateful man who, if he had a sell by date, is a long way past it. 

One of a growing number of ex celebs who are desperate for attention and the need  to remain current and decide the best way to do it is to be controversial.

Plenty of scumbags with the same opinions out there 
    A boring world if we were all made the same.
    Casual racism and xenophobia definitely brightens up the world 
    This. There are plenty of other things in life that can give us each an individual identity and make the world less 'boring' that don't involve racist/homophobic/sexist remarks, and now statements mocking those who rely on food banks. 
  • Options
    shine166 said:

Imagine calling someone a scumbag over something as subjective as comedy. 
  • Options
    He is dated no doubt - and not really my cup of tea - but it does make a change to have a comedian who is not afraid to punch down sometimes.....and one who has a non liberal / left outlook. There’s not many of them about. 
    Yes not enough comedians mock the poor and hungry. 
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Croydon said:
    shine166 said:

Imagine being offended by someone calling hypothetical people scumbags because of what they find funny. 

The best comedy is clever, not aimed at others for a cheap giggle.

• Options

I’m sure he does. There are some people who want to hear his brand of humour. The capacity of the venues he now performs in suggests such people are now fewer and farther between than a number of years ago, thankfully.
    He sold out the Albert Hall recently.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He's a man that should've crawled back into his hole 30 odd years ago where his outdated stuff belongs. 

Though saying that; anyone that actually listens to what Jim Davidson thinks about the world in 2019 needs their head examining. 
  • Options

What, the bar? 
  • Options

Did he? Blimey. 
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Comedy can be offensive. Watch Ricky Gervais live. I find that kind of comedy funny because deep down I know it isn't his view. It is satire. That is where Davidson's comedy fails for me. Rightly or wrongly, It feels like it is his view.

Some people will not differentiate between the offence caused by one over the other, but comedy can be offensive and work. I suppose if you go to watch Jim nowadays you  ought to know what to expect. My wife bought me tickets a few years back when he performed in Stevenage (which is a very small venue and he didn't even have the main part of that and he moaned about it!) and my overiding disapointment was the lack of rude jokes. I thought the warm up act was funnier. It certainly wasn't what I expected.

She bought me tickets because I have always been complimentary of him for his charity work, and I genuinely admire his presentation skills. And I do like the odd politically incorrect dirty joke.

Mind you I was never going to find him telling me how great Margaret Thatcher was for the working classes and making out Greenham Common type Lesbians run the country all that funny. The Nigel Farage types around me seemed to lap it up. When you are lost in a future you don't understand, maybe it is an escape. Let's say I found the experience thought provoking rather than entertaining and I did naively go there expecting to be entertained. The warm up act told more gags and was funny though.
  • Options
    shine166 said:

What, the bar? 
    That was afterwards.
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    Croydon said:
    shine166 said:

Imagine being offended by someone calling hypothetical people scumbags because of what they find funny. 

So why be offended? 

The World is full of cheap giggles, just look at the takeover thread. No point getting offended by it. Do you never laugh at yourself?
  • Options
    A sociologist (bearded & wearing sandals or not) would have a field day on this thread :-)
  • Options
    Most decent comedy tends to be offensive and insulting... A bit of observational comedy out there as well.difference is,most comics either take the piss out of themselves or they punch up and insult the politicians, establishment, and celebrity who puts themselves in a pedestal. So much comedy by the likes of Davidson punches down, and mocks the less well of and marginalized groups. I don't even know if there's a moral distinction, but I've always preferred the self deprecating/punching up humour
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Addickted said:
    shine166 said:
    Croydon said:
    shine166 said:

So why be offended? 

The World is full of cheap giggles, just look at the takeover thread. No point getting offended by it. Do you never laugh at yourself?
    I'm expressing an opinion on someone's comedy, which I'm allowed to do. If he was a British landlord type character, that has an onstage 'act' but seems like a well educated nice guy off stage then it might be different. 

But JD seems more like he is just sharing his thoughts. I laugh at myself, just hopefully not those worse off than me. 
  • Options
    Has anybody seen Love thy Neighbour?

Jimbo is a choirboy in comparison.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It would be very interesting to jump forward 25/30 years and see what is the currently ‘acceptable’ and ‘fashionable’ main stream comedy.....I think many will be (or if still alive would be), very surprised.....it may be totally different.
    I am sick to death of people telling me what I should or should not have found funny 30/40/50 years ago and into the bargain having the fucking impudence to try and make me feel guilty about it.....fuck you lot, times were different and a lot funnier too I have to say, with comedians not having to run scared of the material they chose to deliver.
    100%
  • Options
    Nobody is arguing that he/your taste wasnt acceptable 50 years ago, just that it's generally not now !
  • Options
    It would be very interesting to jump forward 25/30 years and see what is the currently ‘acceptable’ and ‘fashionable’ main stream comedy.....I think many will be (or if still alive would be), very surprised.....it may be totally different.
    I am sick to death of people telling me what I should or should not have found funny 30/40/50 years ago and into the bargain having the fucking impudence to try and make me feel guilty about it.....fuck you lot, times were different and a lot funnier too I have to say, with comedians not having to run scared of the material they chose to deliver.
    Bernard Manning was another funny fella.
  • Options
    shine166 said:

A boring world if we were all made the same.
    Or, conversely, a much better world if there was a greater propensity of tolerant people who also had a modicum of emotional intelligence. 
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    Nobody is arguing that he/your taste wasnt acceptable 50 years ago, just that it's generally not now !
    It is if you’re 71 fucking years old!
    Or 53.
  • Options
    More an Alf Garnett fan meself 
  • Options
    More an Alf Garnett fan meself 
    His only fault was supporting Tottenham.