Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Options
    Well at least one Charlton side may be seeing Championship football next season then
  • Options
    One of the many bad decisions made in our recent past. We had 4 England players when Murray pulled the plug.
  • Options

One of the many bad decisions made in our recent past. We had 4 England players when Murray pulled the plug.

Yes it was a very short sighted decision. I can't imagine it cots much more to run than the salary of one or two first team players at the time.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Hate to be the cynical old sod, but you do know this is an FA decision?

Some FA fart will turn up, look at the facilities, and go for a 5 course meal at The Valley. Half way through the meal, FA bigwig will show those running the presentation an empty briefcase. Because I have the utmost faith in CACT, they will look slightly bemused, and NOT put a brown envelope, full of used fivers, into it...

It will then be announced that Billericay Ladies are being allowed into the new league, as although they have no facilities, play in whatever kit they can dig up, play on the local park (complete with dog turds), and lost their last game against Chadwell Heath Girl's School 2nd eleven 27-0, the FA could "see the great potential of this up and coming Ladies side..."
  • Options
    Looks like Manchester United are forming a Ladies team at long last which annoyingly will go straight into this Women's Championship - Its a bit of an insult really, other sides are applying yet despite being in existence for longer, will be rejected!!
  • Options

Looks like Manchester United are forming a Ladies team at long last which annoyingly will go straight into this Women's Championship - Its a bit of an insult really, other sides are applying yet despite being in existence for longer, will be rejected!!

I believe Man Utd have to apply just like everyone else but I agree that they will probably get it.

I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing though, an insult for other sides who have been at it longer yes, but you could argue that it'll be good for the womens game if there is a big club with more support to draw crowds from.
  • Options

I believe Man Utd have to apply just like everyone else but I agree that they will probably get it.

I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing though, an insult for other sides who have been at it longer yes, but you could argue that it'll be good for the womens game if there is a big club with more support to draw crowds from.
    Can they guarantee the large crowds though... There is the joke that Man Utd draws its fans from anywhere but Manchester so if thats the case, majority of Womens Football supporters in that area will be @ Man City.

Hate to say but people talk about Women's Football being a joke and I tend to agree over this (not the style of football but how its ran) - Other than MK Dons, if a new team wants to form in the Men's game it should start at the bottom, why not here!!
  • Options

Annoying when they get the nod over us...though we did rather lose the high ground with the way we dissolved the former PL club we had (especially it was one we had taken over, rather than building up from scratch)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Southampton are also looking into forming a Ladies team as well.
  • Options
    Can kiss goodbye to our hopes of getting in the Championship then.
  • Options

Can kiss goodbye to our hopes of getting in the Championship then.

Let’s stick with the Ladies Football please.
  • Options
    There are 9 spaces available for the new Women's football set up, 4 in the WSL and 5 in the Championship and as far as I am aware there are 15 clubs applying for these places.

We are applying for the Championship with, amongst others Coventry, Sheff Utd, Derby, Sunderland, palace and now of course Man Utd.

Man Utd were actually affiliated with their Women's team which grew from a club set up by supporters and then officially recognised by the club in the early 2000's. In 2005 Man Utd having financed them for those four years, decided it didn't want to anymore and pulled the plug.

They have now decided to reverse this and that in itself is commendable. Man Utd have actually through their foundation, supported Girls football up to the age of 16 by which time players who want to go further have to seek other clubs, so it would not be true to say that they have ignored the Women's game, but just not seen it as important enough to set up and invest in any senior levels, until now.

Of course our history in dealing with our Women's team is controversial to say the least, but importantly as with all of the sides attempting to reach the upper echelons of the Women's game, there has been a lot of hard work by a lot of good people, in our case over the last 11 years, (and before 2000 of course), but for the others there is a combined 160 years plus in developing the game at the grass roots of the game.

So objections to the almost certain inclusion for Man Utd in the new set up, without having to work their way through the league system should perhaps be looked at through the eyes of one of the other 5 clubs mentioned who will be overlooked because they are not backed by one of the richest clubs in the world and their brand image, doesn't match up.

Finally Man Utd will suddenly need to find a squad of talented players to compete in the league and unless they plan to throw in 20 or so 16 year olds from their Foundation academy, they will have to bring players in. They could do this from overseas clubs or they will poach existing players in the top leagues, thereby damaging the clubs that lose those players.

Either way many will lose out on what I am sure is a commercially sound decision, but one which still leaves a bad taste for me.