Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

NME RIP

13»

Comments

• Options

Good blog article by former MM news editor, and consultant editor of Omnibus books, Chris Charlesworth and the demise of NME, and the weekly music press.
    http://justbackdated.blogspot.co.uk/2018/03/rip-nme-and-end-of-culture.html

That's a great piece Ken and a reminder to me that MM also had some great writers back in the day.
  • Options

I was always a Record Mirror man myself, used to love the R&B Top 20 chart every week in the 60s.

First time I ever saw records like Ride Your Pony and Harlem Shuffle mentioned in the UK.

In that case you should have been buying Home of the Blues which became Blues & Soul a year later:smile:

Anyway shame about NME even though I was never a regular reader, another bit of our history disappearing.
    I knew John E. Abbey when he ran things from an office in Hanway Street round the back of Oxford Street. Still have most of them including the first ever copy of Home of the Blues.

He later moved to the States and married Tamiko Jones.
    That's right I met Tamiko a couple of times upstairs in Hanway Street through John, lovely lady. (I think he was still married at the time) In the very early 70s I used to spend most of my lunch breaks up in Contempo listening to all the new imports. I used to ask them to put things by until Friday payday, time I settled up I'd spent half my wages,then Charlton saturday Home & away Fellowship Inn or Fox Under the Hill if we were home saturday night, Dutch House Sunday & tuesday or sometimes the Falcon midweek payday friday & do it all over again :smiley: How the hell I managed that on my wages I don't know !!! Actually my Mum used to loan me a bit :smiley: Sorry strayed way off topic