Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Generation Fat(ter)

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2018
    Of more immediate concern:

Britain on the booze: how a night of alcohol impacts the NHS - as it happened

https://www.theguardian.com/society/live/2016/jan/22/britain-on-the-booze-live?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

The Guardian had a whole series on the effects of binge drinking and alcoholism on the NHS.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Of more immediate concern:

The Guardian had a whole series on the effects of binge drinking and alcoholism in the NHS.

If doctors and nurses are getting smashed, whilst on duty, then I fully agree that it's of immediate concern.

• Options
    Think its a bit unfair to brand a (my - i'm 25) whole generation as overweight. Out of all my mates from uni, high school, and work, I would say 2 or 3 are a bit overweight or at most a bit chunky, only one of those I would say is obese or fat. At least half of them are very much into exercise, whether that be gym, running etc. I go training at least 4/5 times a week, and my sister has ran marathons (4 years older) and a lot of her mates are runners etc also. So of a group of 20/30 odd people aged between 20-30 probably only 1% is obese and only a handful aren't in good shape. Admittedly though, my group of friends probably aren't atypical of my generation and my judgement might be off from a medical point of view. I think as a whole most people my age are exercising in some form regularly, its big business for a reason and its the 'in' thing and is all over instagram etc because people care about being in shape it seems to me.

As others have said I think it is more of an income/class/societal problem more than a generation problem. Those who are overweight seem to (as others have said) have takeaway/fast food/microwave meals most nights a week so they can save up for a piss up at weekend. Diet is more of a factor than exercise imo.
  • Options

Think its a bit unfair to brand a (my - i'm 25) whole generation as overweight. Out of all my mates from uni, high school, and work, I would say 2 or 3 are a bit overweight or at most a bit chunky, only one of those I would say is obese or fat. At least half of them are very much into exercise, whether that be gym, running etc. I go training at least 4/5 times a week, and my sister has ran marathons (4 years older) and a lot of her mates are runners etc also. So of a group of 20/30 odd people aged between 20-30 probably only 1% is obese and only a handful aren't in good shape. Admittedly though, my group of friends probably aren't atypical of my generation and my judgement might be off from a medical point of view. I think as a whole most people my age are exercising in some form regularly, its big business for a reason and its the 'in' thing and is all over instagram etc because people care about being in shape it seems to me.

As others have said I think it is more of an income/class/societal problem more than a generation problem. Those who are overweight seem to (as others have said) have takeaway/fast food/microwave meals most nights a week so they can save up for a piss up at weekend. Diet is more of a factor than exercise imo.

The second paragraph doesn't make much sense though. Ready meals and fast food are more expensive than a homecooked meal. I think the real problem is time pressures. Most people I know work long hours, generally leaving home around 7, have long commutes and don't get home until after 6 or 7. Most are doing further qualifications which take up even more of their time. Then due to emerging social trends and social networking they also go out 2 or 3 times a week. Sometimes the last thing someone will want to do is cook a decent meal, even if you make enough to last a few evenings. And of course this means people need to fit in a regular shop into your routine and I find people are hopelessly bad planners or lack imagination to survive on a few staples that you can make a range of meals from. Also if you live in a city you don't have a nearby decent grocer so rely on convenience stores which tend to be expensive and don't really stock any decent fresh ingredients.
  • Options
    edited February 2018

sralan said:

It's the less well off that are affected. Having to eat the cheap crap at Farmfoods etc. No nutritional positives, just fills them up. 24 burgers for £1, just makes you wonder what the hell is in them. Not sure about the price but you get my meaning I hope.

The inability to cook (I assume) contributes as well. Fresh produce isn't that expensive.

I cooked dinner for 5 yesterday for a total cost of under £3. It's doable if you want to.
    No offence, but the quality of the ingredients at that price probably would mean either you dished up small portions or they had little nutrition left in them. Also can't have been any real meat in there...

:heart: meat :heart:
    (Yes VEGANS I KNOW! Meat is directly related to heart disease, increased cholesterol, body fat etc however this can be reduced by increasing the quality of meat and avoiding processed foods, now get back to your low protein diet and Oreo's and pretending to be healthier all round...)

p.s VEGANS -
    I have noticed a marked increase in the number of vegans lecturing meat eaters of late, it really pisses me off as I'm not telling you how to live, just to leave me to live my life. You can dig at the producers and butchers etc all you like... Cheers.
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

The second paragraph doesn't make much sense though. Ready meals and fast food are more expensive than a homecooked meal. I think the real problem is time pressures. Most people I know work long hours, generally leaving home around 7, have long commutes and don't get home until after 6 or 7. Most are doing further qualifications which take up even more of their time. Then due to emerging social trends and social networking they also go out 2 or 3 times a week. Sometimes the last thing someone will want to do is cook a decent meal, even if you make enough to last a few evenings. And of course this means people need to fit in a regular shop into your routine and I find people are hopelessly bad planners or lack imagination to survive on a few staples that you can make a range of meals from. Also if you live in a city you don't have a nearby decent grocer so rely on convenience stores which tend to be expensive and don't really stock any decent fresh ingredients.
    It's not hard/expensive/time consuming to throw a few ingredients in a slow cooker and leave it bubbling away whilst you're at work. You can eat well for peanuts if you're prepared to plan ahead for a few moments.
  • Options

Fiiish said:

It's not hard/expensive/time consuming to throw a few ingredients in a slow cooker and leave it bubbling away whilst you're at work. You can eat well for peanuts if you're prepared to plan ahead for a few moments.
    wasn't one of the main things at school never leave cooking unattended.
  • Options
    why is it an issue if people are overweight as long as they are happy about it? It doesn't bother me if people smoke, drink, take drugs or want gender transition surgery so why should it bother others if I'm overweight?
  • Options
    edited February 2018

Fiiish said:

wasn't one of the main things at school never leave cooking unattended.
    Dunno. I was probably bunking off for a fag during that lesson :-)
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

Agree with this. I also think that there are tremendous differences in families that make cooking more difficult now. In the past, 'mum' would stay at home and providing cooked meals would be considered a key part of 'her' role. In many working families now, that arrangement is no longer an option or is no longer considered desirable.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

why is it an issue if people are overweight as long as they are happy about it? It doesn't bother me if people smoke, drink, take drugs or want gender transition surgery so why should it bother others if I'm overweight?

I guess it’s because they are seen as more likely to be a burden on the NHS
  • Options

Bingo... I wouldn't judge someone for not being able to afford a healthier lifestyle, however it's the small decisions...

Bag of 6 apples £1.60

6 bars of chocolate £1.00

We all know which will be bought by the described generation...

60p for a weeks worth of healthier snacks, I won't be tempted to binge on.... I certainly know what I'd do.

bag of clementines £1.25

pack of Jaffa cakes £1.00

once again We all know which will be bought by the described generation...

25p extra for a weeks worth of healthier snacks, that I won't be tempted into bingeing the whole lot... I certainly know what I'd do again.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    @LonelyNorthernAddick

I'd suggest it's actually the generation directly before ours - late 30's to early 60's that are the fatter ones...

Children seem to start off fatter, but lean out more by their teens these days.

It's those that are meant to be working more and cooking for their families... Those that have a more convenient diet forced upon them by their own circumstance.

Of course this is assumptive work, but I did take a look at some data based on the UK as a whole.

Did you know SE London is actually the slimmest part of London?
  • Options
    Stig said:

Fiiish said:

Agree with this. I also think that there are tremendous differences in families that make cooking more difficult now. In the past, 'mum' would stay at home and providing cooked meals would be considered a key part of 'her' role. In many working families now, that arrangement is no longer an option or is no longer considered desirable.
    I was just thinking this too. Babyboomers certainly had the luxury of a society where the breadwinner went to work and the housekeeper made dinner. I honestly don't know a single millennial couple that can afford this arrangement. Even mothers are expected to get back to work as soon as possible and I don't know any of my friends who are parents who can even afford to have one of the two of them quitting work or even going part time.
  • Options
    edited February 2018

better stop people pot holing and mountaineering then as it's a burden on emergency services, or cooking full stop as that will cut down on house fires etc. Just because you are fuller figured it doesn't mean you are not healthy. Nothing wrong with my cholesterol, although my mate who is as skinny as a rake has his through the roof, nothing wrong with my blood pressure either. Get a bit fed up with fattism and fatties being a drain on the NHS, biggest drain is health tourists and the increase in immigration. Plus, watch a 24 hours Ambulance watch type programme and I don't see many call outs due to fat people but I see many, many cases where they are dealing with a pisshead or cokehead and getting abused into the bargain too. Drinking in it's many guises is a massive drain on the NHS but I don't see many calls to ban alcohol etc.

• Options
    edited February 2018
    Dazzler21 said:

Bingo... I wouldn't judge someone for not being able to afford a healthier lifestyle, however it's the small decisions...

Bag of 6 apples £1.60

60p for a weeks worth of healthier snacks, I won't be tempted to binge on.... I certainly know what I'd do.

bag of clementines £1.25

25p extra for a weeks worth of healthier snacks, that I won't be tempted into bingeing the whole lot... I certainly know what I'd do again.
    A sweeping generalisation.

Plenty of older people who eat more chocolate then fruit.

My 19 year old cooks his own food, doesn't touch pot noodles (unlike most of CL it seems : - ) ) and eats fruit like it's going out of fashion.

And as the various lifers who have met him will confirm he's slim and good looking (yes, he takes after his mum).
  • Options
    im a bit of fat fucker but then thats my own choice i dont sit and moan about it equally i smoke and drink more than i probably should be god forbid it doesnt and i have issues with my health because of it, its my fault, and i pay taxes for an nhs service imo
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:

sralan said:

It's the less well off that are affected. Having to eat the cheap crap at Farmfoods etc. No nutritional positives, just fills them up. 24 burgers for £1, just makes you wonder what the hell is in them. Not sure about the price but you get my meaning I hope.

The inability to cook (I assume) contributes as well. Fresh produce isn't that expensive.

I cooked dinner for 5 yesterday for a total cost of under £3. It's doable if you want to.
    No offence, but the quality of the ingredients at that price probably would mean either you dished up small portions or they had little nutrition left in them. Also can't have been any real meat in there...

There wasn't any meat in it, no. However, it was packed full of nutrition and was served in portions that were the right size.

I used to dish up huge portions and lived by the moto of 'rather have too much than not enough'. However, having kids sobered me up, foodwise, as the realisation dawned on me that they'd be likely to follow my lead.

I'm a raging meat eater (do your worst) but have toned it down massively and try to incorporate at least 3 complete vegetarian meals a week for the family. Sunday's are one such day and so we alternate that between fully veg and meat, as a good joint of beef or lamb can't be missed out on completely.

I guess I'm just a big advocate of buying fresh(er) and, preferably, in season food.
  • Options
    most middle aged people i meet are overweight.

Most millenials i know have a gym membership and have some kind of food obsession with veganism or some other superhealthy shit.
  • Options
    edited February 2018

Dazzler21 said:

Bag of 6 apples £1.60

bag of clementines £1.25

A sweeping generalisation.

Plenty of older people who eat more chocolate then fruit.

My 19 year old cooks his own food, doesn't touch pot noodles (unlike most of CL it seems : - ) ) and eats fruit like it's going out of fashion.

And as the various lifers who have met him will confirm he's slim and good looking (yes, he takes after his mum).
    Apologies I automatically typed generation, I was meaning those described as the overweight population... (as bolded now in Large's post)
  • Options

Most millenials i know have a gym membership and have some kind of food obsession with veganism or some other superhealthy shit.

Then go and get pissed up in Shoreditch on a Saturday night.
  • Options
    edited February 2018

I'm a baby boomer and I have a gym membership (the membership card is somewhere) and a food obsession for rare steak washed down with a good merlot. So the millenials and the baby boomers are not really that different.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Fiiish said:

Good point, time and/or laziness probably also plays a more significant part.

Edit: A few sweeping generalisations going on in the thread, I definitely don't think its fair to say most of the younger generations are fat, especially my/teen generations, especially when its trendy and cool to be going the gym and crossfit etc more and more nowadays. At the same time, although I agree with @Dazzler21 that its the generation above us who are on the bigger side, they're also hitting an age where they have to look after children, probably working longer hours, and generally struggle to be as active due to injuries and general old age (pardon me) than us whipper snappers.

That said child obesity is worrying and is undeniably a bigger issue than it was 30 years ago... but its whether that will change as they hit an age where they have to look after themselves. A lot of my friends cook all their own meals and generally eat pretty well...
  • Options
    aliwibble said:

better stop people pot holing and mountaineering then as it's a burden on emergency services, or cooking full stop as that will cut down on house fires etc. Just because you are fuller figured it doesn't mean you are not healthy. Nothing wrong with my cholesterol, although my mate who is as skinny as a rake has his through the roof, nothing wrong with my blood pressure either. Get a bit fed up with fattism and fatties being a drain on the NHS, biggest drain is health tourists and the increase in immigration. Plus, watch a 24 hours Ambulance watch type programme and I don't see many call outs due to fat people but I see many, many cases where they are dealing with a pisshead or cokehead and getting abused into the bargain too. Drinking in it's many guises is a massive drain on the NHS but I don't see many calls to ban alcohol etc.

No Large, it's not. It's the ageing population, with the increase in diseases of old age (dementia, certain cancers etc) and inadequate social care provision meaning that people who should be being discharged from hospital are having to stay there as they don't have the right care at home.
    But if that ageing population have paid their taxes and NI contribution 's all their life they are only getting what they are entitled to.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Maybe later I'll go into my own struggles with weight, which are long and complicated, but there are some things that I think need to be mentioned:

1) Genetics play a huge factor in your body size and metabolism, as they do with everything else from your height to your hair and eye color to chronic conditions.

2) BMI, Body Mass Index, is not a good indicator of health. It feels like there was supposed to be an article to go along with this thread, but I've not seen it. But if it's using BMI, be wary of it.

3) Economic and social conditions play a HUGE role in health, from weight to mental health.

Poverty blighting health of many UK children, paediatricians warn

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/may/11/poverty-blighting-health-of-many-uk-children-paediatricians-warn

4) being overweight can be a side effect of any number of other conditions.

5) Just because something is easy for you doesn't mean it's easy for other people. It ties into the above but it's also just how life works.