Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Steve Avory “very proud” after Sarmiento’s England U16s call-up

Charlton youngster Jeremy Sarmiento has been away with England U16s at the International Development Tournament, representing the country in games against Denmark, Scotland and Spain.

The 15-year-old winger has represented England on three previous occasions and Charlton Academy Manager Steve Avory said the club are “very proud we have got an U16 into the national set-up”.

Sarmiento’s achievement means he is the latest in a long list of Addicks youngsters to represent their country at youth level and most recently follows the success of academy graduates Ademola Lookman and Ezri Konsa winning the World Cup with the U20 national team this summer.

Speaking about Sarmiento, Avory said: “I certainly feel Jeremy is an exciting player, who I would describe as a wide forward, rather than a winger.

“He likes to play out on that right-hand side but loves to come in off the line and get into little pockets of space, which is what we encourage in our system of play.

“He can also play the No 10 role. He is excellent at his age at manipulating the ball in tight areas, can go past players, which is very exciting, he can do that at pace and is a goalscorer.”

Saturday’s Football For A Fiver game against Shrewsbury is also Academy Day, meaning Sarmiento is set to be amongst the 150 Academy players parading the pitch at half-time.

Comments

• Options
    Sounds like he could be the next youngster sold off to play reserve football in the Prem.
  • Options
    Anyone seen him play ? How good do you think he is ?
  • Options
    Is this the 'new Ronaldo' kid?

He'll probably be on loan to someone from Chelsea within 2 years.
  • Options
    ross1 said:

Charlton youngster Jeremy Sarmiento has been away with England U16s at the International Development Tournament, representing the country in games against Denmark, Scotland and Spain.

The 15-year-old winger has represented England on three previous occasions and Charlton Academy Manager Steve Avory said the club are “very proud we have got an U16 into the national set-up”.

Sarmiento’s achievement means he is the latest in a long list of Addicks youngsters to represent their country at youth level and most recently follows the success of academy graduates Ademola Lookman and Ezri Konsa winning the World Cup with the U20 national team this summer.

Speaking about Sarmiento, Avory said: “I certainly feel Jeremy is an exciting player, who I would describe as a wide forward, rather than a winger.

“He likes to play out on that right-hand side but loves to come in off the line and get into little pockets of space, which is what we encourage in our system of play.

“He can also play the No 10 role. He is excellent at his age at manipulating the ball in tight areas, can go past players, which is very exciting, he can do that at pace and is a goalscorer.”

Saturday’s Football For A Fiver game against Shrewsbury is also Academy Day, meaning Sarmiento is set to be amongst the 150 Academy players parading the pitch at half-time.

Can't wait to see him at Liverpool
  • Options
    He sounds like a typical modern attacking wide player, not a hug the touchline winger, but someone who cuts inside. You could imagine him in Robinson 4-2-3-1 formation or in a 4-3-3
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Swisdom said:

There was a thread about him a while ago. I'm told he's the real deal. Very special and already highly sought after.

Also his family are very happy for him to be at Charlton too

Until Chelsea offer him 4-5k a week.

If we're still in league as he approaches his 17th birthday, he's never going to sign a pro deal for us.
  • Options

Swisdom said:

There was a thread about him a while ago. I'm told he's the real deal. Very special and already highly sought after.

Until Chelsea offer him 4-5k a week.

If we're still in league as he approaches his 17th birthday, he's never going to sign a pro deal for us.
    Couldn’t bring myself to Like your post but sadly have to agree with it. Hope I/we are wrong but more and more often this is the outcome... Kasey Palmer / Ryan Huddart / Charlie Colcett etc. Still under EPPP we get something like £30K for each year he has been with us.
  • Options
    Anyone seen him play?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Very briefly on bits of Valley Pass.
    He likes the ball, and likes to take people on.
    It is however way too ear!y to have a confident judgement about him.
    However it is possible to judge him against his peers, and for that reason getting recognition is good.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    So shouldnt be the latest 16 year old to get a First Team appearance like Konchesky or Shelvey etc.?

Edit... Just seen he's only 15
  • Options
    That explains his tweet the other day
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

Great, now Roland will up his price by £5M. See you in 2020!