Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Roger Federer

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Riviera said:
    Riviera said:
    Just won his 100th ATP singles title. Only one man has won more...
    Federer was a serial racket abuser as a teenager but managed to channel those energies into what he has become - the greatest tennis player of all time. Physically and mentally to still want to do it at the age of 37 is absolutely incredible.

So many youngsters across every sport could learn so much from studying him. Someone like Nick Kyrgios for example.

Maybe he has, just won the Mexico Open and beat Nadal en routé
    I'm not a fan of Feds, but tbf you couldn't accuse him of influencing Kyrios.
    I'm not, it was a humorous reply to my friends ridiculous suggestion. 
  • Options
    Riviera said:
    Just won his 100th ATP singles title. Only one man has won more...
    Federer was a serial racket abuser as a teenager but managed to channel those energies into what he has become - the greatest tennis player of all time. Physically and mentally to still want to do it at the age of 37 is absolutely incredible.

So many youngsters across every sport could learn so much from studying him. Someone like Nick Kyrgios for example.

Federer has announced his retirement. Still the greatest tennis player of all time to me. And three years on from this comment Kyrgios hasn't changed. Still the biggest arsehole of all time.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    I feel blessed to have been around in the McEnroe/Connors/Becker/Sampras and Nadal/Djokovic/Federer golden eras of tennis. Seen some incredible matches over the past 40 years. Thanks Roger for many magic moments and wonderful competitiveness. A true role model for youngsters in every sense of the word. 
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    End of an era. What a player. With hindsight, Djokovic and Nadal were probably the better rounded players and often had the better of him. Were they the same age they’d have stopped him racking up quite so many trophies earlier in his career, but he was so elegant to watch on court. The purist’s choice. 

That period with the three of them going head to head grand slam after grand slam (with Murray also keeping them honest) was one of the most golden of golden ages in any sport.

Happy retirement Roger. 
  • Options
    Thanks for the memories.  You were a pleasure to watch.
  • Options
    For me, the greatest of all time 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    My favourite of the big 3 

Roger remembers that the backhand is a one handed shot. 
    A quarter of an hour of one of the most elegant things in all of sport:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jLcocKwUSc&ab_channel=RazOls
  • Options
    His backhand was frankly ridiculous, overblown, hilariously good. This, one thought, watching that thing – the flex of the knee, the flourish of the wrist – is a kind of artefact, a European cultural treasure, like a Bach cantata or a complete acorn-fed Iberian ham, the kind of backhand a power-crazed Bond super villain might try to steal from its laser-guarded case and transport to the moon.”

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Definitely the best on grass, but overall is certainly a debate.

Nadal and Djokovic have both won more grand slams, and from less tournament appearances. Djokovic has reached more finals and is 6 years younger.

Both Nadal and Djokovic also have a winning H2H record v him.

24-16 Nadal
    27-23 Djokovic
  • Options
    not the record number of grand slams winner, but very close to it and for me, the most elegant and exciting player to watch .. a great career Roger, now I expect to see and hear you as a regular pundit
  • Options
    Not my favourite player but he set the bar high.
    Would Djokovic and Nadal have been as good without Federer? I'm not so sure. At his peak he owned Wimbledon.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Years from now, the stats will show that both Nadal and Djokovic were better players / won more slams. 

But for me, RF will always be the greatest player. His game had an effortless elegance that is unmatched.

The difference for me…
    Nadal and Djokovic got to where they are through talent and inhuman grit and determination.
    RF got to where he did through grit and determination, and inhuman talent.
    Both can be admired and appreciated in different ways.
  • Options
    Definitely the best on grass, but overall is certainly a debate.

Nadal and Djokovic have both won more grand slams, and from less tournament appearances. Djokovic has reached more finals and is 6 years younger.

Both Nadal and Djokovic also have a winning H2H record v him.

24-16 Nadal
    27-23 Djokovic
    Federer is 6-7 years older when Nadal and Djokovic were at their peak,Roger was maybe a little beyond his.we will never know but I dont think that Roger at his best would have been beaten by Rafa or Novac so often. Nevertheless,we have been honoured to see such great players all competing at this level.Also it must be remembered that Rafa won half of his slamas at one tournament.
  • Options
    Hate tennis but he has always struck me as a nice boy!
  • Options
    What an extraordinary era in tennis, when Federer will end up 3rd of the Big 3.

Greatness in sport to me is only achieved by beating fellow greats, hence why Borg McEnroe is still talked about. Murray was ridiculously unlucky to be around in this era.
  • Options
    Djokovic will end with the most Grand Slam titles of the three, but he's my least favourite to watch of the three. Federer will end with the least Grand Slam titles, but is the best to watch, imo.
    Exactly, he'll always be my favourite of the three by a mile, so fantastic to watch.

It's the equivalent of preferring watching a great passer in midfield over an all-action type - the latter is effective, but the former is better to watch.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    In terms of the amount of slams won,it is quite possible that Rod Laver ,would have been up there had he not chose to play pofessional for a few years.He won Wimbledon,turned pro and then 4 years later when the game became open he won it again.Rod was so quick around the court,great to see him attending matches and looking so well.
  • Options
    What a bizarre way to end your career at half past midnight in Greenwich with only Morley’s open for food after a tiring match, with Ellie Goulding blaring out at you and the TV camera fixed on you and your mate sobbing your eyes out for half an hour. Nice.

I think he deserves better than that.
  • Options
    I thought it was pretty emotional when he was explaining to his kids he wasn’t sad (when he was crying) it was happy tears .

• Options
    edited September 2022
    It was very emotional, just very badly judged and a bit sad that he’s not saying goodbye in Wimbledon but instead at an Ellie Goulding concert (no disrespect to her, don’t mind her voice) where he can’t have a moments privacy with his emotions 
  • Options
    I watched the first set and he was a shadow of his former self. Best player ever imo, but McEnroe will always be my favourite.
  • Options
    Plenty of vintage Roger shots to remind us of how good he as.Alas plenty of play to show he has made the right decision,lovely to see all the laughing and joking between him and Rafa,sincerley hope some one can tempt Roger to play some exhibitions or perhaps play in the veterans events.
  • Options
    edited June 2023