Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sky and BT win Premier League TV rights

Sky and BT Sport have agreed to pay £4.464bn for live Premier League TV rights for three seasons from 2019-20.

Five of seven live packages have been awarded, with bidding for the remaining two ongoing.

There is interest from "multiple bidders" for these packages, the Premier League said.

Comments

• I wish Sky would just fuck off.
  • Bt has only one package so far.
  • Bt has only one package so far.

They want to sort out our f#cking pensions first !!!!
  • Just in time for when we return to the Premier League...
  • Sky will have first choice of every weekend match and will also show Saturday night fixtures (19:45) for the first time.

• BT sport only have the Saturday lunchtime KO's, sky increase share and cost per game goes down c£2m whilst BT lose games and their cost per game increases....

Sky the winner here, but overall - clubs get less money I believe (although the overseas TV deal(s) will prop that up sadly)
  • Be interesting to see where those two final categories end up... With Facebook and Amazon sniffing around

Of course BT could still win those and thus get more matches
  • Won’t the “content sharing” between BT and Sky be in place by the start of the 2019 season?
  • Will MOTD still be on Saturday/Sunday morning?
  • Will MOTD still be on Saturday/Sunday morning?

Yeah BBC have kept the highlights package for a few more years... Is a completely different thing

https://ft.com/content/a7f2c2b6-05c5-11e8-9650-9c0ad2d7c5b5
  • Sponsored links:

• The remaining 2 packages seem to be just 2 fixture weeks each.

"One package of 20 matches covers an entire bank holiday weekend in the Premier League and one entire midweek programme of matches. The other covers two entire midweek programmes."

So they have all 10 matches from 1 Tuesday/Wednesday to show.

So say Facebook win 1 package they will only have 2 weeks of games the whole season, where as the other packages are for 1 game a week, every week etc.
  • Sky will have first choice of every weekend match and will also show Saturday night fixtures (19:45) for the first time.

Great KO time for travelling fans that...farcical
  • CHG said:

Won’t the “content sharing” between BT and Sky be in place by the start of the 2019 season?

“Early 2019” was the timeline given I believe.
  • Croydon said:

Sky will have first choice of every weekend match and will also show Saturday night fixtures (19:45) for the first time.

Not good for train journey's home or policing but certainly good for pubs for all day pre-match drinking.

Given that we already have early and late Saturday games, 2-3 sunday games, a Monday night game and sometimes a friday night game, plus teams having to play on Sunday because of the Europa league, i'd imagine it won't be too long before we have a weekend where there is no 3pm Saturday game
  • BT got less games 32 v 42 for 8% less money = 9.2m per game a 20% rise per game.
    Sky secured exclusive live rights to show 128 matches per season between 2019 and 2022 for GBP1.2 billion ($1.7 billion), 14% less than it paid for the last deal.
  • Daisy moonlighting as lead negotiator for BT?
  • Croydon said:

Sky will have first choice of every weekend match and will also show Saturday night fixtures (19:45) for the first time.

Not good for train journey's home or policing but certainly good for pubs for all day pre-match drinking.

Given that we already have early and late Saturday games, 2-3 sunday games, a Monday night game and sometimes a friday night game, plus teams having to play on Sunday because of the Europa league, i'd imagine it won't be too long before we have a weekend where there is no 3pm Saturday game
    If that happens, I'm cancelling my kodi subscription.
    Regards
    Angry of Minster ;)
  • Croydon said:

True, but no different to a mid week 19.45 KO.
  • Croydon said:

True, but no different to a mid week 19.45 KO.
    better if anything as no work the next day
  • Final 2 packages that were still up for bids have been confirmed.

BT and Amazon took one each
  • Sponsored links:

• starting August 2019 BT will have 52 games per year, Sky 128 and Amazon 20
  • The remaining 2 packages seem to be just 2 fixture weeks each.

"One package of 20 matches covers an entire bank holiday weekend in the Premier League and one entire midweek programme of matches. The other covers two entire midweek programmes."

This is the package Amazon won. So they will have 2 gameweeks showing all 10 matches in that week/weekend
  • Is that just Prem games? So that means 200 of the 380 games will now be shown live? The 3pm Saturday kick off will soon be a thing of the past.
  • https://www.theguardian.com/media/2018/jun/07/amazon-breaks-premier-league-hold-of-sky-and-bt-with-streaming-deal

The US web retail company will exclusively livestream all 10 matches over one bank holiday of Premier League games and another 10 during one midweek fixture programme, for three seasons from 2019.
  • Yay three subscriptions that people need to have now!!

And they wonder why more people are being pushed towards streaming

This, anyone that pays for that lot wants their bumps felt.

Madness
  • Will be interesting to see what that does to attendances... Wonder which Bank Holiday it'll be, presume Easter Monday
  • Well done Amazon. Bargain for my Prime membership - they do a great job with the NFL.
  • Also wonder who'll present the coverage for the Amazon games
  • edited June 2018

Yay three subscriptions that people need to have now!!

And they wonder why more people are being pushed towards streaming

This, anyone that pays for that lot wants their bumps felt.

Madness
    BT Sport comes as part of the Virgin TV package, which is a cheaper subscription to have than the one Sky managed to con people in to buying for years.

Amazon Prime seems to be the subscription that most people, that I know of anyway, have out of the 3.

Agreed, though, that streaming is becoming an ever more popular choice, and one that I'd encourage as many people as possible to make.