Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ryan Mason forced to retire

Comments

• That's a shame but probably best thing for him.
  • That's very sad for him. Wish him all the best with the next chapter of his life.
  • That's sad but not surprising,that was a sickening injury. All the best to him for his future career.
  • Very sad. I assume the option of a Petr Cech style scull cap wasn't feasible, indeed I assume outfield players wouldn't be allowed to wear such a device?
  • edited February 2018

Very sad. I assume the option of a Petr Cech style scull cap wasn't feasible, indeed I assume outfield players wouldn't be allowed to wear such a device?

If Cech is allowed to wear one after his injury the FA/UEFA would be on very sticky ground banning an outfield player doing the same. Regardless of Mason's case I wouldn't be surprised to see all players wearing some kind of padded headwear in the near future.
  • PC* gone mad

*Protected Craniums
  • Terrible shame, to work that hard to become a Premier League footballer only to have it all taken away at the age of 26 will take some getting over - hopefully he has plenty of support.
  • Really gutted to hear this sad news. Have just finished reading Poch's book and Ryan really was one of his favourites and really wanted him to stay around when he was looking to move clubs. I have absolutely no doubt Poch would have already been on the phone to him this morning for a chat.

With a bit of luck, Levy and Poch can get him integrated into the Spurs set up in some kind of capacity.
  • Very sad to hear - but of course it could have been much worse.

He is young enough to rebuild his life in a different direction, maybe by staying in the game on the coaching side.

I wish him well whatever he decides to do.
  • Sponsored links:

• Real shame but not unexpected. CP recently left Spurs so there should be a gap to fill ,probably with the youngsters. Wish him all the best for the future .
  • bobmunro said:

Very sad to hear - but of course it could have been much worse.

He is young enough to rebuild his life in a different direction, maybe by staying in the game on the coaching side.

I wish him well whatever he decides to do.

exactly. really feel for him and hope he bounces back (i'm sure he will). Much better this than brain damage or something more fatal, and I'm pleased to hear he's taken the advice of experts and retired
  • Very sad. I assume the option of a Petr Cech style scull cap wasn't feasible, indeed I assume outfield players wouldn't be allowed to wear such a device?

I heard the other day the Cech no longer needs to where it, but he chooses to now,
    His injury no doubt caused some psychological damage and he is scared to play without it.

Seeing the image of Masons scar on the BBC article shows how bad it was
  • http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43045432 .....that's one heck of a scar.....don't open this link if your at all queasy.
  • No comment from Cahill.
  • Sad news for Ryan with playing the sport he loves but just like James Taylor who had to retire from cricket with a heart problem also at 26 the risks in continuing their careers were untenable.
  • Dazzler21 said:

No comment from Cahill.

He is probably devasted that it came to this
  • Feel sorry for him , such a shame , would be a good coach
  • uie2 said:

Feel sorry for him , such a shame , would be a good coach

Wonder if Spurs will take him on in some capacity

They've got history of doing that sort of thing haven't they with Ugo Ehiogu and Scott Parker
  • Sponsored links:

• Mentioned by me already in a different context on his own thread but compare and contrast with Tony Watt.

Sad and annoying.
  • edited February 2018
    I don't see that there's a comparison to be made. Watt is a bit of a wasteman, Mason had his career ended. Shit happens.
  • Leuth said:

Yeah its like why?? :cry: why cdnt this hav happnd 2 Tony Watt instead :cry::cry: god is so crule :scream:

That's hardly what LG meant at all. Silly comment that.

• https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/ryan-mason-i-have-14-metal-plates-my-skull-28-screws-holding-them-place-and-45-staples-and

Ryan Mason: “I have 14 metal plates in my skull, with 28 screws holding them in place, and 45 staples. And I was a lucky boy”

I watched a video interview with him a couple of months ago. Was shocked how bad the injury was and felt very sorry for him. This article is worth a read. Truly hope he'll have a great coaching (or media) career in future.
  • Its a great read. I read the article a couple of days ago but didnt know what the source was so thanks for posting this.

Cant help but think he would have been great at Spurs had he decided to stay. It stinks of more Daniel Levy meddling when he decided to go!
  • just shows how fragile the career of a pro sportsman can be .. shame for Ryan but life goes on