Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

DNA Testing for genealogy

124»

Comments

• Options
    LenGlover said:

LenGlover said:

Call me paranoid if you like but what becomes of the samples?

They are all sent to the secret dna storage facility located under the EU building in Brussels.

You jest but it's a valid question....
    Yes I was poking fun but in actuality I think that AncestryDNA remain the owners of your dna sample potentially for ever.

I have to say it doesn’t particularly bother me. What can they really do that harms me. I suspect that before too much longer a database of dna will be collected at birth from everyone.

I’ll be dead in 25 years and as far as I know my dna contains nothing that is of interest to me or that could also not be easily obtained by collecting a strand of my hair or from a Cup I have sipped from.

Simple and nieve perhaps but I’m not giving it any thought other than in this response.

What do you think the potential problems really are ? That not a snotty comment btw. It’s a serious question.

• Options
    edited September 2018
    Are AncestoryDNA not owned by facebook?

If so, their entire business model is based on collecting data, their desire to have your DNA will not be for your benefit, of that I'm sure.
  • Options

If so, their entire business model is based on collecting data, their desire to have your DNA will not be for your benefit, of that I'm sure.

How do you think it will be used to my detriment?
  • Options
    How secure and private is AncestryDNA?
    Your privacy is important to us. We use industry standard security practices to store your DNA sample, your DNA test results, and other personal data you provide to us. In addition, we store your DNA test results and DNA sample without your name or other common identifying information. You own your DNA data. At any time, you can choose to download raw DNA data, have us delete your DNA test results as described in the AncestryDNA Privacy Statement, or have us destroy your physical DNA saliva sample. We do not share with third parties your name or other common identifying information linked to your genetic data, except as legally required or with your explicit consent.

This is on Ancestry website so it appears you own your own DNA data.
  • Options

I didn't say it would, I said it wouldn't be to your benefit, targeted advertising may not be able to use DNA right now, but who knows what the future might bring.
  • Options
    edited September 2018

Insurance quotes for starters (potentially).
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Yeah I do get that but as I posted earlier. I think going forward that eg insurance companies will require dna before your policy is granted. It’s going to happen one way or another. As for ancestry dna. Your dna is private and cannot be accessed by external agencies. Will it affect me ? I doubt that. Will dna have an effect on the lives of my grandchildren? Probably but I also doubt that it will be as a consequence of my finding out that I’m 4% Norwegian.

• Options
    Did mine with MyHeritage DNA. Sent off the swab to the States and six weeks later got my results. They knew nothing about me and little can be deduced from my name. I was born in Scotland of Scottish parents and Scottish grand-parents. One of my great-grandfathers came from a long line of Orcadians so I was expecting a trace of 'Scandinavian." The results were 76% Irish/Scots, 20 Scandinavian, 3% Estonia/Lativa/Belarus and 1% Ashkenazy Jewish. Based on my experience it's a bit more than snake oil.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    All of you saying you can't see what harm it does are not seeing the bigger picture.

Firstly, it's bad enough that we've sleepwalked into a situation where your entire life can be ruined by identity fraud committed by someone who has access to your personal, private data because some company you don't know hasn't secured their database properly.

Far worse than that is the fact that all this data and dna collection is going on with our tacit acceptance, and will one day inevitably be used by insurance companies to raise premiums for those they define as 'high risk' (eg: higher pots tial for specific conditions as they get older)

Finally, the nightmare scenario of 'scope creep' - whereby a more authoritan regime gets into power (think that can't happen? Anyone taken more than a cursory glance at the sort of shit Rees-Mogg comes out with?) and already has access to all of your DNA and personal data.

Do the maths - it isn't good
  • Options

bobmunro said:

Your dna is private and cannot be accessed by external agencies.

If you believe that, you'll believe anything.

• Options
    Addickted said:

I'm worried now.

Will Moss Bros still hold my inside leg measurement from a tail suit I hired from them in 1994?

And if so, what fiendish plans could they have for this raw data?

Work with Ancestry to create clones of you with one leg shorter than the other.
  • Options

Got my results this morning.

100 % Irish or Scot

It has also come back with a cousin who I don't know about, so this could be my aunt's son (dad’s side) I've been looking for or a family story that I don't know about. It has also come back with a 2nd cousins and this show me the results are good, as I know this is the case.

I’ve done a bit of digging this morning and it’s on my mum’s side. I know this as I’ve got a cousin of my mum’s side married to a 2nd cousin on my dad’s side. He has done a test on this person is not on his results.

Thinking about it could be either my mum’s parents had a child that we don’t know about and it’s their child.

So, it seems that my maternal granddad had a daughter when he was 18, in 1912. She had 8 children, all still alive, so that's 8 extra cousins, I didn't know about!
  • Options

bobmunro said:

Your dna is private and cannot be accessed by external agencies.

If you believe that, you'll believe anything.

I genuinely don’t care. Really can’t see how this has a detrimental effect on me.

• Options
    I

Got my results this morning.

100 % Irish or Scot

It has also come back with a cousin who I don't know about, so this could be my aunt's son (dad’s side) I've been looking for or a family story that I don't know about. It has also come back with a 2nd cousins and this show me the results are good, as I know this is the case.

I’ve done a bit of digging this morning and it’s on my mum’s side. I know this as I’ve got a cousin of my mum’s side married to a 2nd cousin on my dad’s side. He has done a test on this person is not on his results.

Thinking about it could be either my mum’s parents had a child that we don’t know about and it’s their child.

So, it seems that my maternal granddad had a daughter when he was 18, in 1912. She had 8 children, all still alive, so that's 8 extra cousins, I didn't know about!
    Going to cost you a fortune in backdated christmas and birthday presents...
  • Options
    The next step in DNA testing - testing stamps, envelopes etc for saliva samples of dead relatives - thoughts?

https://www.legalgenealogist.com/2018/11/04/artifact-testing-on-its-way/
  • Options
    Scoham said:

The next step in DNA testing - testing stamps, envelopes etc for saliva samples of dead relatives - thoughts?

https://www.legalgenealogist.com/2018/11/04/artifact-testing-on-its-way/

when it comes to science of all disciplines, Pandora's box is wide open and what is there to be analysed and/or discovered will be so .. I never ceased to be amazed at what scientists can now manufacture and invent .. 99% for the good, it's the 1% that might well be a worry
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Mrs got this for her dad as he never knew who his real dad was. Turns out his dad was an American Servicesman and he's now found out he has a load of family over in Texas, leterally overnight. Mrs is now in contact with her cousin
  • Options
    Mrs got this for her dad as he never knew who his real dad was. Turns out his dad was an American Servicesman and he's now found out he has a load of family over in Texas, leterally overnight. Mrs is now in contact with her cousin
    Labelled with love by Squeeze.

” During the wartime and American pilot
    Made every air-raid a time of excitement
    She moved to his prairie and married a Texan”

• Options
    Labelled with love by Squeeze.

” During the wartime and American pilot
    Made every air-raid a time of excitement
    She moved to his prairie and married a Texan”

......and then it kind of went downhill. 
  • Options
    Is it weird that I don't really care what previous generations of my family did or where they came from etc? The way I see it, it makes no difference to me now.
    I agree to a point. I only did my family tree recently because I was curious to find out whether my grandfather had served in WW1. I found out he had and that he had been injured on the Somme in 1917. I then traced my relatives back as far as the 1700’s but I’m not really interested much further than that. I’m also not interested in contacting the many aunts, uncles, cousins, second cousins etc I have dotted around south east England with whom I’ve not had contact before. If I haven’t met them before and I’m 57 now then I don’t see how I’d want them in my life now, they’re strangers after all.

Still, think I may do a DNA test one day. Traced my Dad’s side of the family back to Portsmouth in the late 1700’s but believe they may have come over from France as our surname is fairly common in Brittany. It would infuriate my Dad to find out he was of French descent.
  • Options
    Up until the early hours taling to and looking at photos of my Mrs new uncles and cousins. Crazy, really is