Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Munich Air Disaster 1958

Tomorrow, 6th February, is the 60th Anniversary of this tragedy.
Tonight on BBC Radio 5Live is a fascinating documentary. It is not the story and memories of the crash; that has been covered many times. This is about the way Manchester Utd rebuilt themselves in the ensuing weeks, months and years.
It is an emotional and thought provoking listen.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09rzqtp

Comments

• I was at Highbury on the previous Saturday when they beat Arsenal 5-4 in a classic.
    What I found strange at the time was that Jeff Whitefoot who had been sold to Forest declined the opportunity to return .
  • I was at Highbury on the previous Saturday when they beat Arsenal 5-4 in a classic.
    What I found strange at the time was that Jeff Whitefoot who had been sold to Forest declined the opportunity to return .

Many fans were haunted by the disaster and didn’t return to Old Trafford, he may have felt similarly.

Like Zambia, Torino and Chapecoense very sad.

What was Duncan Edwards like as a player?
  • quite a few manchester united fans over in munich for it a lot of global supporters clubs.

What was Duncan Edwards like as a player?
    Exceptional and still a young man . Bobby Charlton rated him very highly.
  • Had he lived and recovered Duncan Edwards would have been 29 when we won the World Cup and at the peak of his powers.
  • Good article here. I went to Dudley in December and saw the memorial, the stained glass windows at St. Francis' Church and his grave. https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/duncan-edwards-the-genius-who-could-have-won-england-three-world-cups-3gjz63jbb?shareToken=7496cf87347108c2305dc29866aed840
  • Have been reading about this and saw that the former Man City goalkeeper Frank Swift also sadly died in the crash, he was a journalist at the time. On his Wiki page shows him making a guest appearance for Charlton Athletic.
  • Last weekend, we were in Turin. We went to the Superga Basilica on a hill outside town where there's a memorial to the Torino team of 1949 that crashed in to that hill on the way back from a friendly in Lisbon. The whole team, who'd just won five Scudettas on the trot, was wiped out.

Torino as a team never recovered their preeminent position in their home city, let alone the country, and now play second fiddle to Juventus.

I visited that a few years ago. Very moving.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2018

Have been reading about this and saw that the former Man City goalkeeper Frank Swift also sadly died in the crash, he was a journalist at the time. On his Wiki page shows him making a guest appearance for Charlton Athletic.

My father was adamant that had it not been for Frank Swift and Bert Williams of Wolves, Sam Bartram would have been England's number one.
  • RedChaser said:

Have been reading about this and saw that the former Man City goalkeeper Frank Swift also sadly died in the crash, he was a journalist at the time. On his Wiki page shows him making a guest appearance for Charlton Athletic.

My father was adamant that had it not been for Frank Swift and Bert Williams of Wolves, Sam Bartram would have been England's number one.
    They also picked Gil Merrick and Ted Ditchburn in front of him . Sam deserved better.
    Amazing that he was runner up to the great Tom Finney for Footballer of the year in 1954 at 40 years of age .