Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Linesman "Celebrating" Spurs' Penalty Award

This ain't a very good clip of it, but all I could find on YouTube. In the better version of the clip, it looks pretty convincing to me.

Thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvL9t5QgA1k

Comments

• I remember when Mike Dean celebrated a Spurs goal,

Didnt he say it was something to do with him being happy he played a good advantage
  • edited February 2018
    The ref said no pen but the lino said yes. The ref changed his mind and the lino was proved right. He was happy he's done his job well. Professional pride. I remember a ref a few years ago, maybe Mike Reed punching the air (below waist height!) after Liverpool scored after he played advantage.
    Edit - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sport/football/fa_carling_premiership/633889.stm
  • It was a good decision
  • Riviera said:

The ref said no pen but the lino said yes. The ref changed his mind and the lino was proved right. He was happy he's done his job well. Professional pride. I remember a ref a few years ago, maybe Mark Halsey punching the air (below waist height!) after Liverpool scored after he played advantage.

Yeah thats what I took from it.
  • Fair enough, but not a good very sensible thing to do so noticeably
  • wmcf123 said:

It was a good decision

Never a pen!
  • Macronate said:

Spurs season ticket holder since the age of 5.

His dog is called Harry K.

Only drinks Holsten.

Draw your own conclusions.

That’s. Pretty impressive dog?

• Macronate said:

Only drinks Holsten.

That’s. Pretty impressive dog?

The dog's not won any trophies for years....
  • I caught up with this game on MOTD 2 and to be honest I was disgusted with Spurs. Ali would have taken a pen all day long for his dive and was rightly booked.

People in the crowd should have held up cards with 10 on them for Kane's dive, the keeper never touched him.

And for the last pen that has to be the softest decision you will ever see and the spurs player clearly jumped in front of the swinging leg to get kicked on purpose.

Cheating fucks, I hope they miss out on Europe.
  • Sponsored links:

• Despite the fact Kane dived, surely that must be offside. When the Spurs player passed it Kane was a yard offside, it should be irrelevant whether the defender touched it or not. And if the linesman's interpretation of the law is correct then the law is an ass.
  • Macronate said:

Only drinks Holsten.

doesn't like ham sandwiches
  • CAFCsayer said:

wmcf123 said:

It was a good decision

Never a pen!

I caught up with this game on MOTD 2 and to be honest I was disgusted with Spurs. Ali would have taken a pen all day long for his dive and was rightly booked.

People in the crowd should have held up cards with 10 on them for Kane's dive, the keeper never touched him.

And for the last pen that has to be the softest decision you will ever see and the spurs player clearly jumped in front of the swinging leg to get kicked on purpose.

Specsavers appointments for you two. Learn the rules, watch them again and then come on here and admit your errors.
  • wmcf123 said:

It was a good decision

CAFCsayer said:

wmcf123 said:

It was a good decision

Never a pen!
    With the Kane decision I initially thought it was a dive... Watching the replays the way Karius' turns his body, his shoulder coming round is the part that appears to trip Kane's trailing leg as he's running

The second decision definitely wasnt a penalty... Again though, the first replays make it look as though Lamela has been knee'd in the back, when you watch on a different angle, the knee has simply gone parallel with his body
  • Despite the fact Kane dived, surely that must be offside. When the Spurs player passed it Kane was a yard offside, it should be irrelevant whether the defender touched it or not. And if the linesman's interpretation of the law is correct then the law is an ass.

Saw it being explained by Dermot Gallagher on SSN. Apparently as Lovren made a genuine attempt to play the ball (ie wasn't just a deflection) it started a new phase of play.
    The law is indeed an ass.
  • Talal said:

Despite the fact Kane dived, surely that must be offside. When the Spurs player passed it Kane was a yard offside, it should be irrelevant whether the defender touched it or not. And if the linesman's interpretation of the law is correct then the law is an ass.

Saw it being explained by Dermot Gallagher on SSN. Apparently as Lovren made a genuine attempt to play the ball (ie wasn't just a deflection) it started a new phase of play.
    If we start arguing the Kane offside and whether he was interfering with play then whats the difference between him being offside and Vardy being offside when we scored the equaliser against Wales @ Euro 2016?

Lovren shouldn't even care about Kane being there...

If he left the ball then Kane was offside, if Kane had tried to challenge Lovren for that ball then he was offside, in which case Liverpool would have been given a free-kick and no penalty would have occurred

Football needs to be in favour of the attacker more

There are too many rules these days that favour Defence and 0-0 games (Just look at the increase to 24-teams for Euro 2016, we got turgid games and nearly every team sitting behind the ball) - thats not the direction the game should be going in.
  • CAFCsayer said:

wmcf123 said:

It was a good decision

Never a pen!

I caught up with this game on MOTD 2 and to be honest I was disgusted with Spurs. Ali would have taken a pen all day long for his dive and was rightly booked.

Specsavers appointments for you two. Learn the rules, watch them again and then come on here and admit your errors.
    Laws dear boy, laws. Not rules.
  • Riviera said:

CAFCsayer said:

wmcf123 said:

It was a good decision

Never a pen!

Laws dear boy, laws. Not rules.
    Laws rule, okay!!
  • Talal said:

Despite the fact Kane dived, surely that must be offside. When the Spurs player passed it Kane was a yard offside, it should be irrelevant whether the defender touched it or not. And if the linesman's interpretation of the law is correct then the law is an ass.

That exact rule has lead to to goals for us in the past
  • Sponsored links:

• CAFCsayer said:

wmcf123 said:

It was a good decision

Never a pen!

Even Jamie Carragher said they were both pens. On a different point, Emre Can't was standing in the penalty area for the first (and second, I think) penalty. Kane should have been allowed to retake it. So, if the Liverpool manager wants to "blast" someone for something it should be that.
  • edited February 2018
    Klopp and the Bin Dippers got what they deserved when he went steaming down the touchline celebrating as if they won the world cup FFS.

And for anyone doubting the 2nd pen, watch this angle and tell me it isn't a penalty?

And anyway...

For the first pen, two of their defenders were in the box and the keeper was off his line. Thats a retake isn't it???
    They're lucky they got a point out of it, we could and should have won had Kane buried the first pen.

The outpouring of grief from the Bin Dippers has been outrageous last 24hours.

Riviera said:

The ref said no pen but the lino said yes. The ref changed his mind and the lino was proved right. He was happy he's done his job well. Professional pride. I remember a ref a few years ago, maybe Mark Halsey punching the air (below waist height!) after Liverpool scored after he played advantage.

Yeah thats what I took from it.
    Exactly, any normal person would, except the Bin Dippers being the chronic grief merchants they are, want to blame someone else for their own failures.
    They should be pointing the finger at Klopp's inability to hold onto a lead and their new £75m defender who doesnt know the difference between a ball and Lamela's leg.

• Croydon said:

Talal said:

That exact rule has lead to to goals for us in the past
    Really, I'm surprised league one refs even know of the law.
  • CAFCsayer said:

wmcf123 said:

It was a good decision

Never a pen!

I never disputed the second one was not a kick on the player, as you say the rules are the rules. However if you look at the clip johnboy has posted below you can clearly see the Spurs player look at the defender and then put himself in between the kicking leg and the ball to gain a penalty. So no glasses need for me, the Spurs player conned the ref and cheated.

I notice we are lacking clips of the Kane dive, funny that.
  • CAFCsayer said:

wmcf123 said:

It was a good decision

Never a pen!

I never disputed the second one was not a kick on the player, as you say the rules are the rules. However if you look at the clip johnboy has posted below you can clearly see the Spurs player look at the defender and then put himself in between the kicking leg and the ball to gain a penalty. So no glasses need for me, the Spurs player conned the ref and cheated.

Why is that cheating? You are allowed to put yourself between a man and the ball. It's called shielding the ball.

If he was booted in the leg anywhere else on the pitch it'd be a free kick, so why in your opinion is it not a penalty?

The linesmans interpretation was 100% right - well done to him. I have lifted the following verbatim interpretation from The Laws of the Game "Interfering with play means playing or touching the ball passed or touched by a team mate". The last touch, in this instance, was by a defender, so the linesman was correct.
  • CAFCsayer said:

wmcf123 said:

It was a good decision

Never a pen!

Kane got caught by his shoulder. You only have to look at the guilt written all over the keepers face as he goes down to know that he touched him.

Back to Lamela, what was he supposed to do? He had to get himself in between the defender and the ball to stop the defender getting near the ball. Its called shielding. It puts the onus on the defender to defend. There's no cheating going on. If it happens anywhere else on the pitch, its a free kick. Anyway, its irrelevant, as soon as he kicks him, its a pen, simple as that.

• the most annoying thing to come out of that game was when Ali dived (yet again) he gets a yellow card but no ban. if he had not received the yellow card he would of got a 2 match ban. why not both?
  • the most annoying thing to come out of that game was when Ali dived (yet again) he gets a yellow card but no ban. if he had not received the yellow card he would of got a 2 match ban. why not both?

Agreed. He really has got to cut that out of his game.
    Probably the main reason the ref didn't award a penalty when he went down against Man Utd, reputation went before him!
  • edited February 2018

the most annoying thing to come out of that game was when Ali dived (yet again) he gets a yellow card but no ban. if he had not received the yellow card he would of got a 2 match ban. why not both?

Also the commentator's not really saying anything about it just because he's English. No player has received more bookings for diving than he has in the past 2 seasons (although Zaha also has 3 and should have plenty more). If Alli was foreign he'd get slaughtered.