Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Oxford - Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2018
    Been said loads already, but that shirt should be Aribo's to lose after the past month or so he's had
  • Options
    Guess the issue with JFC is the fact he was part of our poor run in Nov / Dec yet was one of the few not injured so isnt much he could really do to get us winning
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

ross1 said:

Today’s match has been dedicated to tackling homophobia & promoting the message of Football For All as part of @FvHtweets’ month of action

Very cool. The game has come a long way in a short amount of time. And I am always proud that Charlton are usually at the forefront of making everyone feel welcome in a football ground.
    Give it a few years of us doing this and the Premier League will decide to make it an annual fixture with all clubs doing something.

We'll probably be in the Prem by then but it'll be frustrating as no doubt the media will turn around and say how good they are for doing something, yet fail to realise clubs have been doing for years.

Racism: Kick it Out Day was something I swear we were arcitects of, yet seems forgotten in the Football world now
  • Options

Guess the issue with JFC is the fact he was part of our poor run in Nov / Dec yet was one of the few not injured so isnt much he could really do to get us winning

Good point, though I think it's worth noting the couple games with him in the midfield with Aribo were his and Aribo's worst.

I've not seen them in training, and that would inform my decision a lot, but if I were in Robinson's shoes I think I'd just pick JFC today. But it would be a really, really thin margin and would probably just come down to JFC's experience and tactical acumen.

But this is what having a squad with quality in depth is about. Hopefully from now until the end of the season we'll be having a lot of debates about who is the better player for the first XI. Having a debate like this now feels so foreign because it's not since the end of the 2016 season did it feel like we were debating who was a *better* player, as opposed to who is less shit.
  • Options
    Jake is definitely the better player... Do wonder if Robinson's looking at Oxford with his selection, i.e. if this were Bury then Aribo may have started

As I mentioned in my preview, I really think Oxford could be in a better position... Reckon we'll get three points but people shouldnt be shocked if we dont
  • Options
    edited February 2018

SDAddick said:

ross1 said:

Today’s match has been dedicated to tackling homophobia & promoting the message of Football For All as part of @FvHtweets’ month of action

Very cool. The game has come a long way in a short amount of time. And I am always proud that Charlton are usually at the forefront of making everyone feel welcome in a football ground.
    Give it a few years of us doing this and the Premier League will decide to make it an annual fixture with all clubs doing something.

We'll probably be in the Prem by then but it'll be frustrating as no doubt the media will turn around and say how good they are for doing something, yet fail to realise clubs have been doing for years.

Racism: Kick it Out Day was something I swear we were arcitects of, yet seems forgotten in the Football world now
    To be fair I think the Premier League had a match like that earlier this season.

I've got a lot of time for Kompany for many reasons.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

ross1 said:

Shame Aribo has been dropped... I'm old style and think it sends the wrong message by dropping him.

Be interesting if its 442 or 4231

Surprised Lennon has kept his spot although guess its to do with the preference of having a Left and Right footed CB pairing
    I think it will be 4-2-3-1 but hopefully there will be a lot of interchange especially with Josh dropping deep and letting Mav run behind him, Fosu cutting in from the left, and I expect Fosu will go 10 and Mav will go wide at some points as well. Plus either of them (or even Josh) could go over to the right allowing Marshall to go to the left where he's looked far better in recent weeks.

It's certainly harsh on Aribo, but it was going to be harsh on whoever wasn't picked. I know what you mean about wanting to keep players in the team who play well, but there's been two weeks of training between our last game and now. And this is hopefully a reminder that you really, really have to work hard in training to keep your place in this team. JFC's all around game and positional sense is better than Aribo's at the moment, and against a team who have a lot of good attacking threat on the counter, I understand wanting someone who is more tactically disciplined. No doubt it's harsh on Aribo, but football is harsh sometimes. I hope this makes him a stronger player and he does enough in this game if he has a part to play, and in training that forces Robinson to pick him next week.

Robinson can't stand on sentimentality and pick someone because they were good in the last match, he has to pick the player who is best for the match today. I thought earlier in the season he didn't rotate enough (though it was hard because we kept having players in the same position get injured). He's going to need to do that with this team, and I hope he's willing to.

Now, how Lennon has kept his place is beyond me. I know Bauer is less comfortable on the left, and Thomas and Buckley-Ricketts have pace that could trouble him, and that Oxford don't have a big, strong physical forward that can bully Lennon and dominate him in the air, but still. The only strong explanation I can think of is not wanting to rush Bauer back after last time when it seems he definitely came back too soon.

All-in-all, good team, good bench. Let's hope the run in starts today.
    He's picked Magennis all season , despite being garbage. I'd always find a spot for Aribo
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    wmcf123 said:

SDAddick said:

ross1 said:

Shame Aribo has been dropped... I'm old style and think it sends the wrong message by dropping him.

Be interesting if its 442 or 4231

Surprised Lennon has kept his spot although guess its to do with the preference of having a Left and Right footed CB pairing
    I think it will be 4-2-3-1 but hopefully there will be a lot of interchange especially with Josh dropping deep and letting Mav run behind him, Fosu cutting in from the left, and I expect Fosu will go 10 and Mav will go wide at some points as well. Plus either of them (or even Josh) could go over to the right allowing Marshall to go to the left where he's looked far better in recent weeks.

It's certainly harsh on Aribo, but it was going to be harsh on whoever wasn't picked. I know what you mean about wanting to keep players in the team who play well, but there's been two weeks of training between our last game and now. And this is hopefully a reminder that you really, really have to work hard in training to keep your place in this team. JFC's all around game and positional sense is better than Aribo's at the moment, and against a team who have a lot of good attacking threat on the counter, I understand wanting someone who is more tactically disciplined. No doubt it's harsh on Aribo, but football is harsh sometimes. I hope this makes him a stronger player and he does enough in this game if he has a part to play, and in training that forces Robinson to pick him next week.

Robinson can't stand on sentimentality and pick someone because they were good in the last match, he has to pick the player who is best for the match today. I thought earlier in the season he didn't rotate enough (though it was hard because we kept having players in the same position get injured). He's going to need to do that with this team, and I hope he's willing to.

Now, how Lennon has kept his place is beyond me. I know Bauer is less comfortable on the left, and Thomas and Buckley-Ricketts have pace that could trouble him, and that Oxford don't have a big, strong physical forward that can bully Lennon and dominate him in the air, but still. The only strong explanation I can think of is not wanting to rush Bauer back after last time when it seems he definitely came back too soon.

All-in-all, good team, good bench. Let's hope the run in starts today.
    He's picked Magennis all season , despite being garbage. I'd always find a spot for Aribo
    For most of the season up until literally today, who else was he supposed to pick? Also, Mag hasn't been garbage all season. He started pretty well, had something like 4 in his first 7, and then went off the boil including looking absolutely shattered for a couple months.

I thought Mag looked much better last weekend and I think he is a good foil for the other three attackers in our team today.
  • Options
    Aribo has banged in a few goals too.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
  • Options
    GAME TIME! Come on you Addicksssss! #cafc

• Options
    Here come the two sides....LET'S GO! #cafc
  • Options
    Oxford United FC

Verified account

@OUFCOfficial
    3m3 minutes ago
    More
    LATE CHANGE to #OUFC starting line-up sees Jon Obika replace Wes Thomas.
  • Options
    United have lost the toss and start the game with the magnificent @YellowArmyOUFC at their backs in the first half. #CAFC 0-0 #OUFC
  • Options
    KICK-OFF | 1' Oxford get the action underway. COYA! #cafc
  • Options
    1' Mavididi earns the Addicks an early corner... #cafc
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    2' Forster-Caskey's delivery is cleared near post. #cafc
  • Options
    1' Charlton go up the other end and win a corner but Obika heads clear. #CAFC 0-0 #OUFC
  • Options
    2' Obika skips past a challenge and bears down on goal but Ben Amos comes out of his area to clear. #CAFC 0-0 #OUFC
  • Options
    3' Great noise from the Covered End in the early minutes here
  • Options
    Lively start from both teams game kicked off 3.02
  • Options
    Just seen who the ref is (I hadn't looked at the preview thread).

I'm expecting plenty of fcukwittery from the biggest cockwomble curretly on the referees list.
  • Options
    3'
    Foul by Harry Lennon (Charlton Athletic).

Posted at
    3'
    Aaron Martin (Oxford United) wins a free kick in the defensive half.
  • Options
    For anybody trying to watch via Ifollow on Edge - apparently there has been an update this week which prevents the player from working - use Firefox.
  • Options
    Posted at
    7'
    Foul by Jonathan Obika (Oxford United).

Posted at
    7'
    Stephy Mavididi (Charlton Athletic) wins a free kick in the defensive half.
  • Options
    Could go up to 5th if everything goes our way.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!