Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

National Anthems

2»

Comments

• Options
    Davo55 said:

1. Russia
    2. Germany
    3. France

1,683 Great Britain

Agree but in wrong order ;0)

1. Russia
    2. France
    3. Germany

• Options
    Or...perhaps the right album Henry, but this song instead??
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YuaZcylk_o
  • Options
    The Saffa one is great as it goes through the four languages of the country, always banged out as well at rugby games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdG7pEgzV5Q
  • Options

Pedro45 said:

I don't think Men of Harlech is an anthem, is it?

Surely you'd recognise the Italian and Spanish anthems, and Brazilian? What about the Russian...all are very familiar.

Don't the Welsh fans just sing Men of Harlech as made famous by Zulu?
    No, it's Land of my Fathers!
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:

Pedro45 said:

I don't think Men of Harlech is an anthem, is it?

Surely you'd recognise the Italian and Spanish anthems, and Brazilian? What about the Russian...all are very familiar.

Don't the Welsh fans just sing Men of Harlech as made famous by Zulu?
    No, it's Land of my Fathers!
    they all think they had more than one dad ?
  • Options

Or...perhaps the right album Henry, but this song instead??
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YuaZcylk_o

@rileyaddick67 meant to post "a case of you" not "California" D'Oh
  • Options
    LOL...
  • Options
    Croydon said:

French & Italian are pretty good.

French anthem at a packed Stade de France is phenomenal
    Agree....God Save The Queen....just isn't the same.
  • Options

Rothko said:

Italy is great, really like 'Advance Australia fair', but the best is the South African one.

Isn’t the Italian one where each line seems to about a hundred words long and sung so fast that nobody can keep up with it ?

Forgot about advance Australia fair and god defend New Zealand, i’d recognise those, though whether many others would I’m not so sure.

Can’t think of how the south African one goes...
    I've got a South African mug....it has four verses on it all in different languages.....The English verse and the last one of the four......Sounds the call to come together, And united we shall stand, Let us live and strive for freedom, In South Africa our land.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    redsek said:
    That's the best version.
  • Options
    Most National Anthems are stirring songs normally about the land or the people or both.
    But ours is just a dismal dirge, about the descendant of the biggest thugs of 400 years ago.
    Land of Hope and Glory is a much more apt and valid anthem. More so than our current dreadful attempt.
  • Options
    Nothing like the Thai National Anthem. What's more, if it is played in shopping centre, for example, everyone stands still.
  • Options

Most National Anthems are stirring songs normally about the land or the people or both.
    But ours is just a dismal dirge, about the descendant of the biggest thugs of 400 years ago.
    Land of Hope and Glory is a much more apt and valid anthem. More so than our current dreadful attempt.

Agree with all of that - except I would favour 'I Vow to Thee, My Country' as the National Anthem.

Gustav Holst could certainly bang out a good tune.

• Options

Russian. Nothing else comes close and the French

This
  • Options

Agreed. My vote would be Jerusalem though.
  • Options
    The Spanish one's got no words, which is always a bit weird when they play it at sporting events or other ceremonies. It's got a pretty decent tune though to be fair.
  • Options
    We've done this before. The correct answer is:
    Russia
    After heating that, all other anthems just sound trite. It makes ME well up and I don't have a Russian bone in me body!
  • Options

Rothko said:

Italy is great, really like 'Advance Australia fair', but the best is the South African one.

Isn’t the Italian one where each line seems to about a hundred words long and sung so fast that nobody can keep up with it ?

Forgot about advance Australia fair and god defend New Zealand, i’d recognise those, though whether many others would I’m not so sure.

Can’t think of how the south African one goes...
    I've got a South African mug....it has four verses on it all in different languages.....The English verse and the last one of the four......Sounds the call to come together, And united we shall stand, Let us live and strive for freedom, In South Africa our land.
    Yeah, but I've never met a nice South African .....
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Well in Canada we have now gone gender neutral, so we removed "in all thy sons command" and remade it to "in all of us command".

Next on the chopping block is the word God. As in "God keep our land glorious and free".

The world has gone mad, the left has won. Anything you say against them and you are deemed a racist or a bigot.

edit: spelling
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2018

Well in Canada we have now gone gender neutral, so we removed "in all thy sons command" and remade it to "in all of us command".

Next on the chopping block is the word God. As in "God keep our land glorious and free".

The world has gone mad, the left has won. Anything you say against them and you are deemed a racist or a bigot.

Bloody hell - be no good in France mate - i've just had a friendly conversation in my French class as to why Ankle (La Cheville) is feminine and Le Genou (Knee) is masculine !! Even the frigging rubbish bin is feminine- as is La Marseilleise.

It a making my 'ead 'urt.

Maybe @adrian could elaborate.
  • Options
    There is no place for sexism in a national anthem, as it would divide the nation.

What is called for in reality is the call to arms to destroy your most hated enemy, over an overblown and riotous classical piece.

If we took a nice English piece such as Jupiter by Holst, scrapped the "world in union" rugby nonsense and called it "destroy the French, cos we are wellard innit" it would be the best anthem ever. Actually, replace it with Holst's Mars, it would be badass.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

There was an urban myth that Taiwan's national Anthem Was Sousa's 'Liberty Bell' - would make a great anthem!

Welsh, Scottish, French and German are all great anthems. The EU's anthem is pretty damn fine as well - tricky to better a tune from Beethoven!! Probably a prime reason for Brexit!

I think Scotland officially doesn't have an anthem (but, to make up, it has two flags!)
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    se9addick said:

bobmunro said:

There was an urban myth that Taiwan's national Anthem Was Sousa's 'Liberty Bell' - would make a great anthem!

Welsh, Scottish, French and German are all great anthems. The EU's anthem is pretty damn fine as well - tricky to better a tune from Beethoven!! Probably a prime reason for Brexit!

I think Scotland officially doesn't have an anthem (but, to make up, it has two flags!)
    Well Flower of Scotland is played as a victory anthem when the Soltire is raised at the Commonwelth Games and before every football and rugby international. That’s good enough for me!
  • Options
    edited February 2018

Is it 'the left' who want to remove the word 'God'? I wouldn't have thought that would be a political thing - more a secular one?
  • Options

Russian. Nothing else comes close and the French

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sowpvuK-co8

• Options
    But which Russian anthem - I think you will find that a lot of Russians still sing it with the old Soviet words and haven't even bothered to learn the new ones.
  • Options

Hardly - I supsect most of the rest of the World cringes when they hear this

Wider still, and wider, shall thy bounds be set;
    God, who made thee mighty, make thee mightier yet!

Jerusalem any day.