Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton women news - 2023-24 fixtures (p56)

Comments

• Options
    Blackburn beating Southampton is good for us. Sunderland winning but are only 1 point ahead of us having played a game more as it stands. 
  • Options
    Usually, if there isn't a stream, you don't get anything,but today it is displaying the live score and teamsheets.
  • Options
    Late equaliser, even later winner for LCL

What will undo is this season is the lack of an out and out goalscorer
  • Options
    3 of our last 4 matches are against top sides too, so we'll need to now beat the best to be the best
  • Options
    That was a very MA Charlton performance from the girls…🫣☹️
  • Options
    Bloody Millwall.

They beat us be it male or female.
  • Options
    Very frustrating. The girls must be devasted. had chances to go 2 up which I'm sure would have won the game.
  • Options
    Substitutes should have gone on earlier. Several of the players were dead on their feet.
  • Options
    Disappointing result and the performance just didn’t click today. Big shame, as a record crowd and really lovely to see so many kids from all sorts of backgrounds- lots in CAFC shirts but also a few princesses in sparkly clothes! 
  • Options
    Disappointing result and the performance just didn’t click today. Big shame, as a record crowd and really lovely to see so many kids from all sorts of backgrounds- lots in CAFC shirts but also a few princesses in sparkly clothes! 
    There was a young girl sat behind me who spent most of the game asking her dad to explain what had just happened. Clearly she'd never watched football before, which is exactly what we want from these big events. 

Palace and Sunderland have a bit of a gap now. If we can win the next two the trip to Sunderland will be crucial. If not, next season it looks like we get to go to Newcastle. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 24
    Really annoyed about that performance to be honest. Got the early goal and then were content to sit back, completely lose the midfield and pray that the back four kept them at bay. To be fair, they were untroubled for most of the game but Not Millwall were always going to turn the screw in the last ten and we didn't react. McKenna dealt poorly with a routine clearance for their first and after that we just completely lost our heads. Longhurst was abject in the middle and Filis didn't impose herself enough. Humphrey had some fleeting moments but wasted two really good chances with stupid decisions on the final pass. We spent far too much time trying to flick balls round the corner and create the perfect goal when we just needed to drive at a pretty weak defence and shaky looking keeper. McGowan was lively when she came on and if she'd finished her chance we would have seen that out comfortably but in the end we really brought that result on ourselves.
    Hills in particular disappointed me today. For some reason she just didn't look interested, barely seemed to be engaged with the game and made the changes far too late. Barton should have come off for Johnson ages before she did but we basically just sat waiting to lose. Very disappointing day.
    I too was there today and think that is a good summing up
  • Options
    So the Nigel’s are the favs for the league championship then? 
  • Options
    There will be more twists and turns before the end of the season so I’m not giving up hope of promotion. 
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    So the Nigel’s are the favs for the league championship then? 
    It's worse than that - if Palace and Sunderland win their other games from here on, they play each other on the last day with Palace needing a draw. Which means when we play at Sunderland on the second last weekend a win for us could well be what hands Palace the title. Having just saved Lionesses from relegation danger yesterday.

On the other hand, everyone's been losing games and we're only 3 points and a lot of goals behind Palace. So there's still a route to the title if we win all 4 and Palace lose or draw one of their next three and then draw with Sunderland. It's not likely, but it's not impossible either.
  • Options

Hills in particular disappointed me today. For some reason she just didn't look interested, barely seemed to be engaged with the game and made the changes far too late. 
    Think you are being very unfair on the bit about Hills. She's never one to spend her time on the edge of the box shouting out during play. That is often left to her assistant. In fact a couple of games at the Valley she has spent the first half in the directors box. 
    Whenever there was a break a play she always called players over to discuss the game, particularly Longhurst and Filis, which presumes she wasn't happy with certain things. 
  • Options
    redman said:

Hills in particular disappointed me today. For some reason she just didn't look interested, barely seemed to be engaged with the game and made the changes far too late. 
    Think you are being very unfair on the bit about Hills. She's never one to spend her time on the edge of the box shouting out during play. That is often left to her assistant. In fact a couple of games at the Valley she has spent the first half in the directors box. 
    Whenever there was a break a play she always called players over to discuss the game, particularly Longhurst and Filis, which presumes she wasn't happy with certain things. 
    The thing is, I'm aware that she's not a touchline shouter, but she's normally more animated and involved than she was today. When we're playing badly you can usually see her get agitated, start talking more on the bench and planning changes. Yesterday she looked like she wasn't really engaged anywhere near as much as usual and she waited far too long to make her subs. I've no doubt she wasn't happy, how could she be, but it was clear that the midfield needed shaking up 5 minutes after we came back out after half time and played the exact same way. Longhurst staying on for 79 minutes and Barton for 92 was absolutely crazy when we needed someone to actually get hold of the ball in midfield and someone to make the ball stick up front.
  • Options
    Really annoyed about that performance to be honest. Got the early goal and then were content to sit back, completely lose the midfield and pray that the back four kept them at bay. To be fair, they were untroubled for most of the game but Not Millwall were always going to turn the screw in the last ten and we didn't react. McKenna dealt poorly with a routine clearance for their first and after that we just completely lost our heads. Longhurst was abject in the middle and Filis didn't impose herself enough. Humphrey had some fleeting moments but wasted two really good chances with stupid decisions on the final pass. We spent far too much time trying to flick balls round the corner and create the perfect goal when we just needed to drive at a pretty weak defence and shaky looking keeper. McGowan was lively when she came on and if she'd finished her chance we would have seen that out comfortably but in the end we really brought that result on ourselves.
    Hills in particular disappointed me today. For some reason she just didn't look interested, barely seemed to be engaged with the game and made the changes far too late. Barton should have come off for Johnson ages before she did but we basically just sat waiting to lose. Very disappointing day.
    Yes, I think this is fair. During the game I wondered if we had some players not fully fit as the reluctance to make substitutions didn't seem to make much sense. I thought for the first half hour or so the forwards were causing no end of problems to Lionesses with the pressing and it looked really good, but once Lionesses worked out how to defend it we didn't have a plan B that would work with the players we had on the pitch. 

Unless Lewes somehow pick up a few points from their remaining games, our last two matches have saved two sets of opponents from their relegation problems while pretty much taking us out of the fight for promotion.
  • Options
    Hopefully yesterday was the wake up call and that performance is now out of the sytem
    With games against 3 of the teams around us plus one against rock bottom Watford, plenty of Charlton's destiny is in our own hands
    Winning them all won't guarantee anything but palarse couldn't afford two slip ups
    Nice to be looking at the upper echelons of a table 
  • Options
    Why have the post match interviews with Karen ceased?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    LordDofB said:
    Why have the post match interviews with Karen ceased?
    She only ever said "The girls did very well".

The media person for the women's team left a while ago. Replacement being advertised.
  • Options
    I thought after tge goal which was well worked they were bullied out of the game by the Lionesses. 
  • Options
    Sorry to see that Ella Rutherford sustained a knee injury that required surgery.

Out for the rest of the season.
  • Options
    edited March 27
    I did see her in a knee brace on Sunday. Poor Ella, she's had some bad luck with injuries
  • Options
    2-0 up at halftime against a very strong Birmingham. Unfortunately Palarse tonked Durham 5-1 and are at least 3 points ahead of us having played the same amount of games
  • Options
    I’m afraid we bottled it against London and Reading. Too many draws and haven’t scored enough goals this season. The squad I think never believed they could go up. Palace have a decent run in and will go up. Big changes needed in the summer with players and manager.
  • Options
    Won 3-1 in the end, after Birmingham getting a penalty we could have looked shaky but a belting long range effort put the cherry on top. 

3 games left, Watford and Sunderland away and Southampton at home. Winning all 3 is our only chance as that's beating 2 teams right at the top with us. We need Palarse to lose to one of Birmingham, Sunderland or Lewes, and even then their goal difference is far superior to ours 
  • Options
    Not after we win our last three games by many goals 🤗
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Not after we win our last three games by many goals 🤗
    23 goals needed with Palace not scoring in 3 games.

• Options
    Jobbers said:
    I’m afraid we bottled it against London and Reading. Too many draws and haven’t scored enough goals this season. The squad I think never believed they could go up. Palace have a decent run in and will go up. Big changes needed in the summer with players and manager.
    Interesting people want Hills gone, where I think she’s done a good job with what’s available