Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton women news - 2023-24 fixtures (p56)

Comments

• Options
    For the benefit of those who live further from London and may be more interested in away games, here are the current dates and venues for the away fixtures (pending one or two additional cup fixtures). There's a handy FA website giving links to each club's ticketing site, for those who like to buy in advance. 

12 Sep 2021 (12 noon) Durham at Maiden Castle sports ground, DH1 3SE

29 Sep 2021 (Weds, 7pm) Brighton & Hove Albion at Crawley Town FC, RH11 9RX (Last year's FA Cup QF)

Sat 2 Oct 2021 Watford at Watford FC, WD18 0ER

7 Nov 2021 Sheffield United at Chesterfield FC, S41 8NZ

14 Nov 2021 Crystal Palace at Bromley FC, BR2 9EF

19 Dec 2021 Liverpool at Tranmere Rovers FC, CH42 9PY

23 Jan 2022 Bristol City at "Robins High Performance Centre", BS8 3TN

13 Feb 2022 Coventry United at Coventry United FC / Coventry Rugby, Butts Park, CV1 3GE

6 Mar 2022 Sunderland at former Eppleton Colliery Welfare, Hetton, DH5 9NA

3 Apr 2022 London City Lionesses at Dartford FC, DA1 1RT

24 Apr 2022 Blackburn Rovers at Bamber Bridge FC, PR5 6UT 

Lewes at Lewes FC, BN7 2XA, date to be confirmed

We don't generally take many to away games (nor does anyone else outside the WSL, to be fair) so don't expect huge numbers of fellow Addicks, but it would be great if we had a few locals at each. I'm planning to do the Bristol one.
  • Options
    Is today’s game available to watch online? And if so, is it on the YouTube channel again?
  • Options
    I think it has just kicked off and was wondering the same. Can't find it on you tube.

• Options
    That’s a shame. I’m still not sure why they don’t put it on Charlton tv
  • Options
    Just seen on Twitter - 1-0 down already.
    😕
  • Options
    Seeing as fans won't be travelling to Durham, it ought to be a no brainer to show it and promote the product. 
  • Options
    We are losing 1-0
  • Options
    2-0
  • Options
    Ended in a two nil defeat, maybe just as well we couldn't watch it! 
  • Options
    Is there a reason they don’t show all the games online? Is it a licensing issue? Or just money?
    Genuine question.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Seeing as fans won't be travelling to Durham, it ought to be a no brainer to show it and promote the product. 
    I don't know if the problem is that it would be down to the home side. It would be a lot to ask Charlton to take all the equipment and personell up there. 
  • Options
    No game this weekend as it's a women's international break. Brief highlights of last week's defeat at Durham are on the YouTube channel if you can bear it.

Upcoming games are Sunday 26th (Blackburn at Crayford, NB 12 noon not the usual 2pm) and Weds 29th (Brighton in last season's FA Cup, 7pm, played at Crawley Town if you fancy going).
  • Options
    The Blackburn home game (12 noon kickoff) will be streamed on Charlton TV and on YouTube for the benefit of those who can't make it to Crayford.
  • Options
    1-0 up. 40 minutes gone. 👍🏼
  • Options
    Missing some good chances here. Hopefully we can get the second soon. 
  • Options
    There does seem to be a bit of a pattern with the goals:
    Against Coventry, both teams scored straight from a corner and today our goal was a cross that drifted over the goalkeeper and in.

It appears there’s a common weakness in the goalkeeping when it comes to defending against drifting balls from wide.
  • Options
    2-0! 
  • Options
    Against Coventry, both teams scored straight from a corner and today our goal was a cross that drifted over the goalkeeper and in.

It appears there’s a common weakness in the goalkeeping when it comes to defending against drifting balls from wide.
    Got it in one.
  • Options
    A decent performance and a good reaction from last week.
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:

Got it in one.
    No, I qualified it with a specific circumstance. I could easily have said there’s a common weakness in the outfield players when it comes to some specific too. It wasn’t an anti-women’s-football dig, just an observation.

I don’t know how coaches might address the issue with drifting crosses, but I was in no way intending to suggest that women goalkeepers aren’t any good, just that there seems to be a potential area of common focus for goalkeeping coaches.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dave Rudd said:

Got it in one.
    No, I qualified it with a specific circumstance. I could easily have said there’s a common weakness in the outfield players when it comes to some specific too. It wasn’t an anti-women’s-football dig, just an observation.

I don’t know how coaches might address the issue with drifting crosses, but I was in no way intending to suggest that women goalkeepers aren’t any good, just that there seems to be a potential area of common focus for goalkeeping coaches.

And I am broadening your qualified comment.  I think that women goalkeepers are generally not very good.

A high percentage of shots on target will go in.  Even at top level, it's a basic tactic ... make the keeper work ... and it will reap dividends. 
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    Dave Rudd said:

Got it in one.

And I am broadening your qualified comment.  I think that women goalkeepers are generally not very good.

A high percentage of shots on target will go in.  Even at top level, it's a basic tactic ... make the keeper work ... and it will reap dividends. 
    And you’re entitled to your opinion. But your comment implied that I was saying something I wasn’t. That’s all.
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    Dave Rudd said:

Got it in one.

Goalkeeping in the womens game is improving massively with full time coaching, in the same way amateur goalkeepers in the mens game are shit in the main.

it’s a technical position, and you improve with the right coaching, WSL keepers who are full time are pretty decent. Carly Telford for example is a good keeper
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    Dave Rudd said:

Got it in one.

Goalkeeping in the womens game is improving massively with full time coaching, in the same way amateur goalkeepers in the mens game are shit in the main.

it’s a technical position, and you improve with the right coaching, WSL keepers who are full time are pretty decent. Carly Telford for example is a good keeper
    Yes, agreed.  Coaching will help.

But your list of 'good' keepers is painfully short.  And this is top-level professional womens football that we are talking about ... not amateur Sunday league stuff.

I'll say it again ... in general (note ... in general) ... women goalkeepers are not very good.  There are some good keepers.  My favourite is Hedvig Lindahl out of Sweden.

But the fact remains that, if you put the ball on target, it will often go in.  Check out the WSL highlights on any weekend and ask yourself, how many of those goals would have beaten an average male goalkeeper.

Sorry if this is not woke ... just a statement of fact.  I'll redress the balance by pointing out that I thought Megan Wynne played very well today.

Straight swap for Jaiyesimi?

:-)
  • Options
     :) 
  • Options
    No I just didnt feel the need to type out a list of keepers in the WSL or internationally who are decent. Telford's name is the one which came to mind as an example. 

The sport has been moving to pro for what, 5 years at most in England, and previously only been taken seriously by the FA since the early 90s, when they got over their ridiculous attitude to women playing football.

There were still semi pro team's in the WSL last year. It'll take time for keeping to improve, but it's a lot better than it was even 2 years ago.

• Options
    You have to put it in the context of the talent pool.

How many girls have any structured football coaching in school? How many girls football leagues are there? It will take a decade at least to expand the game at that level.

We heard comparable comments with the Women’s Cricket Hundred for exactly the same reason. How many of those players grew up with strength and conditioning coaches? A few did because they played other sports or were trained athletes. 

You are only now beginning to see the naturally talented athletes among girls being able to gravitate to both male dominated sports. You don’t think there are young female gymnasts who outgrow the optimum size to progress at that sport who could develop the ball skills and bring strength and athleticism to Women’s goalkeeping.

The option to play organised football or cricket for far too many girls has never existed. The facilities and infrastructure are simply not there yet.

When I went out for a meal at the weekend In Dallas any given week any numbers of girls clad in soccer kit would been there with their families having not long played their games in the early evening to avoid the heat of the day.

It is illegal in the States for a school or college to offer one sporting opportunity to one sex and not the other. It is why the US Women’s Soccer Collegiate program is so strong. Indeed for many young girls it is an educational scholarship opportunity. The game at a professional level is still I believe a bit of a mess but the infrastructure is significantly stronger.

I worked with a South African who coached any number of programs. Indeed my 4yr old granddaughter In New York goes to « soccer coaching » every week. She loves it.

Beyond that even the level of physical demands in men’s football and cricket has changed exponentially over 20 - 30yrs. Look at the quality of fielding in one day cricket today. It has been transformed from even a decade ago let alone the eras of people like Cowdrey, Boycott etc., They we’re great players but the whole dynamic of the game has changed.

So need to disrespect those at the top of the UK Women’s game today. They have been instrumental in getting the woman’s game to this point (with very limited support) but a) you can only compete with those around you b) you rarely recover those lost early skills development years.

There are times you just need to put the right infrastructure in place and let things develop at a natural pace.
  • Options
    You have to put it in the context of the talent pool.

How many girls have any structured football coaching in school? How many girls football leagues are there? It will take a decade at least to expand the game at that level.

We heard comparable comments with the Women’s Cricket Hundred for exactly the same reason. How many of those players grew up with strength and conditioning coaches? A few did because they played other sports or were trained athletes. 

You are only now beginning to see the naturally talented athletes among girls being able to gravitate to both male dominated sports. You don’t think there are young female gymnasts who outgrow the optimum size to progress at that sport who could develop the ball skills and bring strength and athleticism to Women’s goalkeeping.

The option to play organised football or cricket for far too many girls has never existed. The facilities and infrastructure are simply not there yet.

When I went out for a meal at the weekend In Dallas any given week any numbers of girls clad in soccer kit would been there with their families having not long played their games in the early evening to avoid the heat of the day.

It is illegal in the States for a school or college to offer one sporting opportunity to one sex and not the other. It is why the US Women’s Soccer Collegiate program is so strong. Indeed for many young girls it is an educational scholarship opportunity. The game at a professional level is still I believe a bit of a mess but the infrastructure is significantly stronger.

I worked with a South African who coached any number of programs. Indeed my 4yr old granddaughter In New York goes to « soccer coaching » every week. She loves it.

Beyond that even the level of physical demands in men’s football and cricket has changed exponentially over 20 - 30yrs. Look at the quality of fielding in one day cricket today. It has been transformed from even a decade ago let alone the eras of people like Cowdrey, Boycott etc., They we’re great players but the whole dynamic of the game has changed.

So need to disrespect those at the top of the UK Women’s game today. They have been instrumental in getting the woman’s game to this point (with very limited support) but a) you can only compete with those around you b) you rarely recover those lost early skills development years.

There are times you just need to put the right infrastructure in place and let things develop at a natural pace.
    Yes, nice explanation.

But no-one is asking for an explanation.  The fact is, women goalkeepers (in general) are not very good.  Maybe they will be (in general) in a few years.

And it's not disrespect.  Just an accurate observation.

For the record, I coached (very successfully) in women's football many years ago.  I am part of that group who you describe as 'instrumental'.

And, for what it's worth, I don't think that the game has progressed half as much as you would expect after such a long time. 

I hope that changes.

• Options
    edited September 2021
    I think the women's game has progressed a great deal. Goalkeeping is a position that will take longer but they will get there. It is a very technical position and the opportunities for coaching are lesser for it. There will always be a physicality difference but you can see well coached women keepers like Christiane Endler who is technically strong. With the game growing in professionalisim, there will be more and more but because it is so technical it is going to take a few years to feed through. 

I do wonder if Cummings has access to the men's team coaches as I think she has a lot of the attributes to have a great future. There are some weaknesses but also a good amount of strengths.