Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Coroners Court jury service.

I've been picked for Coroners Court jury service.
Anyone done this? If so can you let me know what to expect.
Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Didn't even know Coroners Courts had a jury. Expect that will be interesting.
  • Options
    Likely to be a death in custody or at work (health and safety related etc).
  • Options
    Thanks all.
  • Options
    Groan
  • Options
    It’s dead boring...
  • Options
    ...sorry, that’s necrophilia.
  • Options
    On a related note, can anyone shed some light on what to expect from an Inquest?

I've done a bit of reading, but haven't really been able to grasp the process - at least as far as a seemingly "run of the mill" death goes?

I'm preparing for news this week from one, but not entirely sure what to expect; no suspicious circumstances, no police involvement, no witnesses... the lad literally went to bed and never woke up. A few irregularities with his blood, and a slight abnormality with his heart - neither of which seem to account for the death though. (Hence the Inquest?)

Am I right in saying it's most likely going to be a doctor delivering a report in to those abnormalities, and perhaps the statements from the emergency services who arrived on scene? In which case, an hour long affair? And perhaps a verdict in the form of "Natural Causes" vs "Suicide"? (Albeit, with the potential for inconclusive?)

Lastly, whilst I'm here, does anyone know how much they'll delve in to his personal life should there be a question mark over the circumstances? i.e finances, mood, etc

Just curious, as I'm wondering on the effect on the family and the lads partner.
  • Options
    Had to attend a hearing at the coroners court for my grandmothers passing, routine check up turned into her asophygus being damaged and the trauma caused her oxygen on the brain, leading to her death the doctor was in question for his professionalism
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Was doing jury service and our case ended early so they wanted some of us to be on a jury at a Coroners Court near Borough.

Guy had hung himself in prison, it involved looking at his physical and mental state at the time and whether he meant to do it or it was a cry for help.

People giving evidence/opinion were doctors, psychologist and family.

They had pictures but thankfully just the ligatures he used rather than seeing him dead.

Think our decision was that it was an accident not suicide which I think helped his family deal with the issue.

• Options
    I had to represent my company at a coroners court following the death of a young lady in a fire. All parties were represented I.e. companies who had worked in the building, emergency services and the young ladies father. All of the above had a turn in the witness box including myself.

The staff at these places including the judge do not work long hours so expect it to take a few days. We were lucky if the court sat before 10.30, lunch was at 12.30 for two hours and we were always wrapped up before 4pm.

I hope you get a good area, I was at Poplar and it is grim around there to say the least. Nowhere to walk out too to get a decent bite to eat unless you like halal.