Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Weirdest thing a colleague has done

Comments

• Options
    Although my story is not a weird thing that a colleague done, it is a great story about a colleague. In 1983 I was sharing an office with an Irish guy who was married and living in the ground floor flat at 23 Cranley Gardens, Muswell Hill, North London. For a couple of weeks he had been coming into work and complaining about the drains in the building. The problem was that there were three flats in the block and no resident was taking responsibility for the problem. A week or so later his wife rang him at work and told him that raw sewage and foul smelling water was lifting the inspection cover on the drain down their side path, directly underneath their window. Jim told her to get Dyno Rod or a plumber out to sort the problem, and he would speak to the other residents that evening regarding the bill. His wife rang him back that a plumber would be coming, but it wouldn’t be to the end of the day. As it was winter and it got dark by 4.30pm the plumber told her he might not be able to clear the blockage until the next day. The next day Jim comes in to work to tell me that the drains were still blocked, and the plumbers were coming back that morning to sort the problem, however something really weird happened last night. About 1.30am he heard a noise down his side path and he could hear the Inspection Cover of the drain being lifted. He said that Dennis a guy living in the top floor flat had gone out in middle of the night and had looked down the manhole with a torch. Is that bizarre or what? The next day was unbelievable. The first phone call from his wife, she says that the plumbers had arrived. They started clearing the blockage and that they had found some strange items down the drain. Remember this was before mobile phones, the plumber asks Jim’s wife to call the police and ask for a police car to be sent to the property. Jim asked what strange items have they found and his wife say’s the plumbers think they are human remains. The second phone call. The police arrive; they also believe the items are probably human. The third phone call. The police have arrived on mass. They have cordoned off the house and are searching all three properties within the building. The fourth phone call. The police searched Jim’s flat, and the flat on the middle floor. The police then told Jim’s wife that when they searched Dennis Nilsen’s flat on the top floor they found human remains stored in the flat. That evening when I left work it was headlines in the Evening News and Standard, and the main item on the BBC and ITV News. My colleague had been friends and a neighbour of Dennis Nielsen. The serial killer who killed between 12 and 18 men. There were a couple of footnotes to this story. As I have already mentioned this was before mobile phones. The following day Jim is back at work and he says, that evening there had been a knock on the door from an American TV News company. They had offered Jim and his wife £1,000 to allow them to be based in their flat, to let them have use of their telephone, and for Jim’s wife to keep them supplied with hot drinks and sandwiches throughout the day. We were both earning about £175 per week at the time so this was a lot of money. Jim turned this offer down and said that he wasn’t interested. The house next door accepted the offer. Jim, and Dennis Nilsen both owned dogs. Some evening they would walk their dogs together. When the police broke into Nilsen’s flat they found his dog. Jim’s wife offered to look after the dog, which the police agreed to. After a couple of weeks the police turned up and removed the dog. They told them that Nilsen had been feeding the dog human flesh (presumably he admitted this) and Jim said that the dog was going to be put down.
    Anyone see Des on ITV last night?  Brought back memories of this post!
    One thing that stands out for me, having seen Des last night, was how did the guy from Dyno Rod know they were human bones...?  Do they get trained in identifying human bones from all the other crap they must come across on a daily basis....or was he a serial killer too..?
  • Options
    Although my story is not a weird thing that a colleague done, it is a great story about a colleague. In 1983 I was sharing an office with an Irish guy who was married and living in the ground floor flat at 23 Cranley Gardens, Muswell Hill, North London. For a couple of weeks he had been coming into work and complaining about the drains in the building. The problem was that there were three flats in the block and no resident was taking responsibility for the problem. A week or so later his wife rang him at work and told him that raw sewage and foul smelling water was lifting the inspection cover on the drain down their side path, directly underneath their window. Jim told her to get Dyno Rod or a plumber out to sort the problem, and he would speak to the other residents that evening regarding the bill. His wife rang him back that a plumber would be coming, but it wouldn’t be to the end of the day. As it was winter and it got dark by 4.30pm the plumber told her he might not be able to clear the blockage until the next day. The next day Jim comes in to work to tell me that the drains were still blocked, and the plumbers were coming back that morning to sort the problem, however something really weird happened last night. About 1.30am he heard a noise down his side path and he could hear the Inspection Cover of the drain being lifted. He said that Dennis a guy living in the top floor flat had gone out in middle of the night and had looked down the manhole with a torch. Is that bizarre or what? The next day was unbelievable. The first phone call from his wife, she says that the plumbers had arrived. They started clearing the blockage and that they had found some strange items down the drain. Remember this was before mobile phones, the plumber asks Jim’s wife to call the police and ask for a police car to be sent to the property. Jim asked what strange items have they found and his wife say’s the plumbers think they are human remains. The second phone call. The police arrive; they also believe the items are probably human. The third phone call. The police have arrived on mass. They have cordoned off the house and are searching all three properties within the building. The fourth phone call. The police searched Jim’s flat, and the flat on the middle floor. The police then told Jim’s wife that when they searched Dennis Nilsen’s flat on the top floor they found human remains stored in the flat. That evening when I left work it was headlines in the Evening News and Standard, and the main item on the BBC and ITV News. My colleague had been friends and a neighbour of Dennis Nielsen. The serial killer who killed between 12 and 18 men. There were a couple of footnotes to this story. As I have already mentioned this was before mobile phones. The following day Jim is back at work and he says, that evening there had been a knock on the door from an American TV News company. They had offered Jim and his wife £1,000 to allow them to be based in their flat, to let them have use of their telephone, and for Jim’s wife to keep them supplied with hot drinks and sandwiches throughout the day. We were both earning about £175 per week at the time so this was a lot of money. Jim turned this offer down and said that he wasn’t interested. The house next door accepted the offer. Jim, and Dennis Nilsen both owned dogs. Some evening they would walk their dogs together. When the police broke into Nilsen’s flat they found his dog. Jim’s wife offered to look after the dog, which the police agreed to. After a couple of weeks the police turned up and removed the dog. They told them that Nilsen had been feeding the dog human flesh (presumably he admitted this) and Jim said that the dog was going to be put down.
    This is what I posted on this discussion page in January 2018
  • Options
    Rhaphanidosis
  • Options
    limeygent said:
    I worked for a guy here in the U.S. who was English, and who acted like a Sergeant Major and talked gruffly to all of his employees. (about 40 of them) He always went to New York to buy his shoes, and spent a lot of money on them, he wouldn't however "break them in" himself, he'd have one of the salesmen who wore the same size wear them until they were acceptably softened up for him to wear himself. 
    One rainy day I was in a meeting in his office with a bunch of other people, when he stopped what he was saying mid-sentence, got up and ran out of his office. We all watched him through his office window confront a salesman who was outside in the rain talking to a client, make the salesman take off his shoes right where he was standing, leave him standing talking to the client in his socks, and then come back into his office with his shoes in his hand and proceed to dry them off with a handkerchief. Then he carried on the meeting as if nothing had happened.
    Isn’t this thread meant to be about weird experiences? That’s what we do in England, you’ve been gone too long
    The same guy swore he'd played cricket professionally for Hampshire. Could never find his name anywhere on any of their rosters.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    limeygent said:
    I worked for a guy here in the U.S. who was English, and who acted like a Sergeant Major and talked gruffly to all of his employees. (about 40 of them) He always went to New York to buy his shoes, and spent a lot of money on them, he wouldn't however "break them in" himself, he'd have one of the salesmen who wore the same size wear them until they were acceptably softened up for him to wear himself. 
    One rainy day I was in a meeting in his office with a bunch of other people, when he stopped what he was saying mid-sentence, got up and ran out of his office. We all watched him through his office window confront a salesman who was outside in the rain talking to a client, make the salesman take off his shoes right where he was standing, leave him standing talking to the client in his socks, and then come back into his office with his shoes in his hand and proceed to dry them off with a handkerchief. Then he carried on the meeting as if nothing had happened.
    Isn’t this thread meant to be about weird experiences? That’s what we do in England, you’ve been gone too long
    I do try to keep up by coming over every other year, unfortunately covid stopped me from coming over this year.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Huskaris said:
    Did your mate ever get Nilsen's share of the dyno rod bill?
    No I don’t think he ever did.
    I don’t think that Jim fancied giving Dennis Nilsen a hard time trying to recover his money. In fact I don’t think I would have either.

All joking aside, Nilsen knew about the problems with the drains, because they had been overflowing and causing problems for the previous two weeks. It was surprising that he never tried to rod them out himself and stop the plumbers coming out.
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    I don’t think that Jim fancied giving Dennis Nilsen a hard time trying to recover his money. In fact I don’t think I would have either.

All joking aside, Nilsen knew about the problems with the drains, because they had been overflowing and causing problems for the previous two weeks. It was surprising that he never tried to rod them out himself and stop the plumbers coming out.
    Yeah, really creepy where in retrospect your friend must have realised the sound of the inspection chamber lifting would have been Nilsen trying to cover his tracks. Imagine what he was thinking when he first saw the plumbers...

Surprised he was still there the next day. 
  • Options
    Me and a work colleague were working away in Nottingham back in the early 80's and sharing a room. We had been on a right session and came back from a club bladdered. I woke up from my drunken stupor to find my mate stood on the end of my bed pissing all over me
    At least your gimp mask kept your face dry
    My weird sense of humour thinks this deserves a promote
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Me too. one of the funniest lines I've read for a while.  Still making me chuckle now... 

While listening to the football obviously. 
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Huskaris said:
    Huskaris said:

Yeah, really creepy where in retrospect your friend must have realised the sound of the inspection chamber lifting would have been Nilsen trying to cover his tracks. Imagine what he was thinking when he first saw the plumbers...

Surprised he was still there the next day. 
    Watching the drama last night it seemed that he wanted to get caught. He was very matter of fact & not like someone who wanted to cover anything up. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can’t believe it’s taken me three and a half years to come across that Nielsen post. 
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    sam3110 said:
    Working in cocktail bars and nightclubby places the past few years means I've seen a lot of weird shit from customers and also colleagues. 

Worst thing I ever saw was walking in on 2 of my colleagues who had a thing for eachother, they had snuck off at the end of shift when everyone else was upstairs smoking, I came back down to grab something from the office for the briefing, and as I opened the office door I am met with the sight of my head bartender having blow snorted off his erect todger by the waitress we had hired 3 weeks beforehand. Needless to say I had 2 vacancies by the end of that night!

Also had a colleague who would frequently come to work with no underwear on, she blamed it on being in a flatshare with no washing machine and no time to go to the laundromat, but we discovered it was actually because she'd be sleeping with customers on a regular basis post shift, and leave them behind as a parting "gift"
    Are you recruiting? Asking for a friend
    All you have to do to get the job is smoke and go commando - preferably with a boner. Also if you don’t have a washing machine you could be on for promotion.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Working in cocktail bars and nightclubby places the past few years means I've seen a lot of weird shit from customers and also colleagues. 

Worst thing I ever saw was walking in on 2 of my colleagues who had a thing for eachother, they had snuck off at the end of shift when everyone else was upstairs smoking, I came back down to grab something from the office for the briefing, and as I opened the office door I am met with the sight of my head bartender having blow snorted off his erect todger by the waitress we had hired 3 weeks beforehand. Needless to say I had 2 vacancies by the end of that night!

Also had a colleague who would frequently come to work with no underwear on, she blamed it on being in a flatshare with no washing machine and no time to go to the laundromat, but we discovered it was actually because she'd be sleeping with customers on a regular basis post shift, and leave them behind as a parting "gift"
    I don’t quite understand why you sacked the waitress? Surely it should have been a promotion? 
  • Options
    Not really weird but a good few years ago @DaveMehmet and I worked at channel 4 (the fucker now works for my current company as well - can’t get away from him). Anyway I walked in to the bogs for a leak, on his way out was another colleague and he said “you don’t wanna go in there, some body is in the cubicle, not only has he stunk the place out but some of the noises…I think he is wanking”
    Anyway curious to know who it was I waited (whilst not breathing in) to see who it was - who walked out of the cubicle? Mehmet. 
    Good story mate but we both know it’s bullshit! My shit doesn’t stink
  • Options
    We still waiting for @MuttleyCAFC story ?