Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Village of the Year Channel 4 8pm Saturday, featuring..?

edited January 2018 in Not Sports Related
For those of you that love those quintessentially English villages a new series on Channel 4 featuring no less than Charlton.

Charlton Horethorn that is..

:)

Also however featuring the village where my place in Norfolk is is called Happisburgh which made the long list, and was in heats this week to be decided each Saturday 8pm, judged by a panel of experts.

They missed out the cricket pitch, local pub, shop, lifeboat station, and array of very old thatched buildings, but do feature the iconic lighthouse, 10,000 year old footprints, beach, and crab burger stall. That's TV for you of course.

Comments

• T_C_E said:

If they've lost an idiot, they can have the run that owns our football club. ;)

Reminds me of a quote I saw by a manager on one of his team's annual appraisal form:

This man is depriving a village somewhere of an idiot.
  • You want to go and post that on one of the Labour/politics threads, you'll go down well owning a holiday residence and depriving someone of a home. :wink:
  • I was about to say that you managed to post about your village without posting a link to your rental.. didn't spot it at first.

• Looks nice. Why didn’t you mention it before?
  • and I didn't even mention we have plenty of availability for Feb and Easter school hols, discount for CL members too..
  • Do you allow dogs, they are only small breed? ;)image
  • For you, no...
  • Sponsored links:

• I wonder what the qualification criteria is, I see that Coxheath is representing Kent which whilst I am not knocking I can think of a lot more attractive villages in Kent than Coxheath.
  • T_C_E said:

Do you allow dogs, they are only small breed? ;)image

Is that picture taken with a one of those 'special' lenses?
  • edited January 2018

I wonder what the qualification criteria is, I see that Coxheath is representing Kent which whilst I am not knocking I can think of a lot more attractive villages in Kent than Coxheath.

Not sure, think they were nominated by the public then whittled down to 100 or so. Then the panelists judge them in heats through to a final.

Happisburgh seems to have caught the eye due to the community spirit brought about by the erosion issues, my place is outside the 100 year zone thankfully, but the large proportion of the village isn't.

Another contestant is Mundesley, which is up the coast, I haven't explored it yet but it looks like a nice un touristy beach, I know the pub there which has a good menu and is right on the sea front, only been there in the evening though.

I go as often as I can to the cottage including the whole of the Christmas period, I'm also active in a couple of local campaigns including the sea defences thing which we are hoping to resurrect soon.
  • caught up with the one including Happisburgh. Shame they didn't get through but they were beaten by a pretty extraordinary village. Looking forward to visiting Happisburgh in May, climbing the lighthouse, having a crab burger and letting the dogs go mad on the beach. Looks a lovely place.
  • caught up with the one including Happisburgh. Shame they didn't get through but they were beaten by a pretty extraordinary village. Looking forward to visiting Happisburgh in May, climbing the lighthouse, having a crab burger and letting the dogs go mad on the beach. Looks a lovely place.

And having a wild party chez @razil?

Wasn't it a programme about lovely villages that caused much hilarity in the BBC spoof W1A? Sounds remarkably similar.

Don't think our heat final is til episode 12 Large, unless I've missed something. Where did you book in the end?
  • razil said:

caught up with the one including Happisburgh. Shame they didn't get through but they were beaten by a pretty extraordinary village. Looking forward to visiting Happisburgh in May, climbing the lighthouse, having a crab burger and letting the dogs go mad on the beach. Looks a lovely place.

Don't think our heat final is til episode 12 Large, unless I've missed something. Where did you book in the end?
    each day there have been four villages competing against each other. at the end the panel vote and select a winner from those four to go on to the next round. Unfortunately Happisburgh didn't win and so were eliminated from the competition. Sorry. Booked Fieldfare Cottage at Boundary Stables which has a wet room for my mother in law.

• lol, I couldn't bare to watch the episode all the way through to the end.. he he he. be sure to visit SmallSticks cafe which is good for access, and there is a ramp down to the sea there too, and check out our website for other tips.