Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Glenn Murray arrested over £1.1m tax fraud

2»

Comments

• Options
    cafcfan said:

Oggy Red said:

Small fry. Big headlines.

When are they going to deal with corporate fraud?

What information have you heard that suggests this matter isn't of that nature? There's a couple of clues: the mention of VAT and the HMRC spokesperson saying business records were seized.

Meanwhile, the answer to your question is that they are and are continuing to do so. Read more here: https://accountancylive.com/hmrc-raises-extra-ps26bn-corporation-tax-investigations
    The UK government is keen to be seen to be leading the way in the fight against tax avoidance by multinationals and is implementing proposals made by the OECD sooner than most countries. HMRC and the Treasury are therefore likely to be under pressure to show that they are taking a tough line with big corporates.’

So has UKG reversed Osborne's swinging HR cuts at HMRC? have they worked out how to recruit top people with at least half the skill and cunning of all those tax advisers coining it at the big consultancies?

Excuse my scepticism
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

Oggy Red said:

What information have you heard that suggests this matter isn't of that nature? There's a couple of clues: the mention of VAT and the HMRC spokesperson saying business records were seized.

Meanwhile, the answer to your question is that they are and are continuing to do so. Read more here: https://accountancylive.com/hmrc-raises-extra-ps26bn-corporation-tax-investigations
    That's great news but what has the Government done with this newly acquired £2.6bn?
  • Options

cafcfan said:

Oggy Red said:

The UK government is keen to be seen to be leading the way in the fight against tax avoidance by multinationals and is implementing proposals made by the OECD sooner than most countries. HMRC and the Treasury are therefore likely to be under pressure to show that they are taking a tough line with big corporates.’

So has UKG reversed Osborne's swinging HR cuts at HMRC? have they worked out how to recruit top people with at least half the skill and cunning of all those tax advisers coining it at the big consultancies?

Excuse my scepticism
    Since the triggering of Article 50, yes HMRC staff numbers have increased by almost 3% according to ONS
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Addickted said:

cafcfan said:

Oggy Red said:

Excuse my scepticism
    Since the triggering of Article 50, yes HMRC staff numbers have increased by almost 3% according to ONS
    The clue to that might be in the “customs” bit of the title, though.
  • Options
    He might even get off with this. Depends on how he defends his self.
    If I was him I'd go down the Harry route and claim thickness of mind.
  • Options

He might even get off with this. Depends on how he defends his self.
    If I was him I'd go down the Harry route and claim thickness of mind.

You could pull that off ;0)

• Options
    clive said:
    Interesting. The VAT aspect of Murray's arrest presumably has to concern his business investments, and it seems odd that he could be the only person involved in a VAT fraud here, and not the other investors.

Unless he has another business he's invested in!
  • Options
  • Options
    clive said:
    Ok it's the Mail - however, you read that article and the whole thing has a terrible smell about it - slowly but surely the professional game - premier league in particular - is going to alienate so many people in this country
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I love the way the Mail over and over again stresses that there is no suggestion that anyone mentioned in the article has anything to do with anything untoward and is keen not to state that Dexter Blackstock is one of the Directors:

"It is unclear if Anthony Titus is in fact Dexter Blackstock – the former Southampton and England under 21 forward now acting as an agent who has close links with Salthouse – but Anthony and Titus are Blackstock’s middle names"

That's one amazing coincidence!
  • Options
    edited January 2018

clive said:
    Interesting. The VAT aspect of Murray's arrest presumably has to concern his business investments, and it seems odd that he could be the only person involved in a VAT fraud here, and not the other investors.

Unless he has another business he's invested in!
    A quick look on Companies House suggests a jewellery business he set up with his missus - the only company they're both linked too as far as I know - but it was short-lived, and the turnover way way below the VAT threshold for the year they were trading IIRC.

Obviously you can register for VAT anyway, even if you're under the threshold, but that's a ballache every 3 months IMO.

Edit: just read the daily mail article.