Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Iceland (The Country not the Shop)

2»

Comments

• Options
    Whats the currency in Iceland?
  • Options
    Did Iceland for my 30th and it was brilliant. Did all the usual stuff mentioned above and would recommend Blue Lagoon. Between airport and main city and has some pretty cool bars within the hot water pools.

Beer expensive but lots of bars have happy hours. Also have this wheel of fortune type game behind the bar which gives you a chance to win more free drinks. Pretty good fun.

We didn’t see the northern lights but a lot of the travel companies seemed to offer return trips for free if you missed out given they can’t guarantee it.

Highly recommended, not met anyone who has returned disappointed despite the cost.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Must admit, my boys rave about Iceland, saying its like nowhere else theyve ever been.
  • Options

Icelandic Krona - ISK. Monopoly money (ca. 170 ISK per pound last time I checked - so expect beers to cost 15k a pop)
  • Options
    It is an amazing place.

I found driving around the south of the country with not many others on the road so peaceful. I felt quite isolated there, especially driving in the dark but I really loved that about it.
  • Options

Anyone been to attempt to see the Northern Lights here and other sights etc? I'm off there in a few weeks for a long weekend and just wondering if there's any tips anyone could share? I know it's meant to be really expensive to drink and I was debating renting a car to move about as opposed to organised trips, not sure if that's a good idea or not? Are there any hints that might save a few quid?

Any help much appreciated.

I was there for the Reagan - Gorbachev summit back in '86. Loved the place and the people.

Me and the rest of our crew shared a cab to the airport, but I was so knackered I slept the whole way.
    Was less than pleased when I was told that I'd missed a great display of the lights on the journey.

The Icelandics love to drink, and their governments have tried all sorts of schemes to discourage boozing, including banning beer. So to replace beer they sold alcohol free beer and poured tons of vodka into it.

I think people use hip flasks quite a bit.
  • Options

Must admit, my boys rave about Iceland, saying its like nowhere else theyve ever been.

That's exactly it. The landscape is just bizarre. You feel like you're on a different planet once you're away from Reykjavik.
  • Options
    edited January 2018

GBP. One will get you 2 frozen fish fillets.

Oh come on someone had to do it.
  • Options
    Iceland is definitely on our list but we are vegetarians. Will we starve to death
  • Options
    kimbo said:

Iceland is definitely on our list but we are vegetarians. Will we starve to death

You would struggle.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2018
    Uboat said:

kimbo said:

You would struggle.
    Suitcase full of cheese or peanut butter sandwiches?
  • Options
    I'm going to Reykjavik on Tuesday for a couple of days with some mates. Hoping to see the northern lights but not counting on it. The weather forecast seems to be OK but I've heard that the wind chill factor can make about 20 degrees difference so I'm definitely taking thermals, woollen socks etc. I'll be using the trip to Blackpool on Saturday to acclimatise to the northern temperatures. Bless, bless!
  • Options
    kimbo said:

My fiancee is vegetarian and was fine. You may not get much choice but main hotels will cater for you. In my experience just ask ahead if not sure!
  • Options
    Got back from my trip last week.

Just wanted to say thanks to the Lifers who recommending things.

The Einstock Ale with Orange in was lovely if a bit pricey (but I expected that).

The Grill Market was amazing for food, again pricey but really nice.

The country itself is amazing, like being on another planet once you get out of Reykjavik. We hired a car so managed to get to all of the places we wanted to at our own pace which was great, also meant we could stop and take in the views as and when we wanted which was brilliant.

Managed to see the Northern Lights on my first night which was a stroke of luck! They really are quite something!

Also saw the Northern Lights whilst in the Blue Lagoon which was pretty incredible.

I'd highly recommend a trip there if anyone is debating it. Fantastic place, I'd like to go back in the summer to see how the landscape changes when it's not covered in snow. Mad place.

Thanks again.
  • Options
    Glad you enjoyed your trip @RedArmySE7. If anyone else is going out there for orange Einstock, or the porter for that matter, you can get it in Sevenoaks though.
  • Options
    Never been to Iceland but I'm impressed that a country of circa 300k has 12 Chess grandmasters, the highest per a population in the world. They also over achieve in strongman and football.

What's your excuse Scotland?