Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Interview with Johnnie Jackson

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/exclusive-flws-christy-malyan-speaks-to-charlton-athletic-icon-johnnie-jackson/

"When stuff comes on the pitch it delays the game so you have to react to that, especially when you’ve just kicked off and then you have to wait another ten minutes before restarting. You have to deal with that and keep warm but it’s not really a factor. You can’t let it be a factor in results or performances – I think you’re just looking for excuses if you do. It hasn’t happened for a while, but we were quite accustomed to it at one stage and we knew how to deal with it. So if the fans decide they want to protest again we’ll deal with it again – no problem.”

So yet again proof that the protest DON'T impact on the players or their performance. How many more times does this have to be said?

Rest of the interview is good too, coaching, next season and his guitars.

Comments

• Options
    Good quote. In my experience of almost all of the protests, the players were never targeted in any way and I think they recognised that.
  • Options
    Is Johnnie hinting for us to protest again.
  • Options

Thats how it reads to me. But then, I want it to.
  • Options

No, he's demanding it.
  • Options
    I think there is a bit of a message in that quote.
  • Options

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/exclusive-flws-christy-malyan-speaks-to-charlton-athletic-icon-johnnie-jackson/

"When stuff comes on the pitch it delays the game so you have to react to that, especially when you’ve just kicked off and then you have to wait another ten minutes before restarting. You have to deal with that and keep warm but it’s not really a factor. You can’t let it be a factor in results or performances – I think you’re just looking for excuses if you do. It hasn’t happened for a while, but we were quite accustomed to it at one stage and we knew how to deal with it. So if the fans decide they want to protest again we’ll deal with it again – no problem.”

So yet again proof that the protest DON'T impact on the players or their performance. How many more times does this have to be said?

Rest of the interview is good too, coaching, next season and his guitars.

Fantastic, that's one way of filling up the bench on saturday!
  • Options
    A lot of love for that guy.

I agree with the others too; my immediate reaction was "Blimey, he's not just understanding.. he seems to be pretty supportive." - as if he's frustrated and would like to see some more action from us.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    For me its all about how much really positive committed support can give extra impetus and strength to a teams belief and performance( for example the comeback versus Cardiff). People shouting abuse at players or anyone else for that matter does not do this.
  • Options
    LuckyReds said:

A lot of love for that guy.

I agree with the others too; my immediate reaction was "Blimey, he's not just understanding.. he seems to be pretty supportive." - as if he's frustrated and would like to see some more action from us.

I suspect he's had to put up with a lot of crazy, unprofessional shite behind the scenes thanks to our Belgian overlords, so I'm not surprised that's he sympathetic to the fans protesting. He's sort of in the same boat as the rest of us.

It's a credit to him that he's acted like a true captain in a dignified and professional manner while others have done their best to wreck and dismantle every thing that's good about Charlton.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    IdleHans said:

Thats how it reads to me. But then, I want it to.
    I read it as more neutral, i.e. he doesn't actively want the protests, but isn't bothered about them either
  • Options
    what a dude
  • Options
    Good interview. I don't think there is a player I've liked more since Robinson & SCP.

He deserves something very special at the end of this season, us fans owe him that and a lot lot more.
  • Options
    Along with Solly, Jackson is the only recent player fit to lace the boots of previous Curbs & Lawrence sides.

I hope he doesn’t leap in if the next owner asks him to replace Robinson - the rebuilding job that will be required will need an experienced manager.
  • Options
    Very good interview.
  • Options
    Didn't realise he was a guitarist, I rushed to read the interview to see if he had this vast collection but he only has two. Ah well. Maybe I'll loan him a couple of mine some day :wink:
  • Options

us???????

http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/72084/why/p1
    Wow really,
    You are like someone who has brought something up someone said in the past.
    It was 2 years ago alot has happened since then.

Also at the time people were talking about trying to get the game abandond and it annoyed me as i had spent £45 to watch a game not for it to be abandoned
  • Options
    Upsets me that this is his last year.
  • Options
    Good interview.

Been a great player
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Upsets me that this is his last year.

Me too. If we are in league 1 next year I'd still keep him registered as a player just in case.
  • Options

us???????

Wow really,

Also at the time people were talking about trying to get the game abandond and it annoyed me as i had spent £45 to watch a game not for it to be abandoned
    To be fair Paulie, you bump 3/4 year old threads all the time.
  • Options

Certainly how I read it, maybe meant more along the lines of we'll not be affected as players...
  • Options
    No ifs no buts Johnnie.
  • Options

No ifs no buts Johnnie.

You're right. We haven't seen him on the pitch as much as we should have this season.
  • Options
    It's an opinion, not proof. Proof would be to play the same games twice, once with a protest and once without and see if the results and performances are different in one vs the other, but you'd need to play a lot of games to average out other variables that can affect a result.

We'll never know either way if the protest help, hinder or have neutral effect on results, but either the bigger picture of getting Roland out out weighs any short term impact on the league table.
  • Options
    Ben18 said:

us???????

Wow really,

To be fair Paulie, you bump 3/4 year old threads all the time.
    When i do it, its never to dig someone out,

I do it just to re-open old discussions
  • Options

It's an opinion, not proof. Proof would be to play the same games twice, once with a protest and once without and see if the results and performances are different in one vs the other, but you'd need to play a lot of games to average out other variables that can affect a result.

We'll never know either way if the protest help, hinder or have neutral effect on results, but either the bigger picture of getting Roland out out weighs any short term impact on the league table.

That's a ridiculous level of proof.

The clear evidence given again and again and again by the players in public and private is that it doesn't impact on their performance. Nick Pope even told me and Fanny that if anything it helped as we're ready for it and others sides werent.

Statistically results were better than the norm on protest days.

Proven beyond reasonable doubt IMHO
    Agree though some will argue players don't want to upset fans so will always say it doesn't affect them.