Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Probably Papertalk But

edited June 2007 in Rumours
it is Friday.

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/sport/default.asp?article_id=32584

Comments

• Not a million miles out I'd hazard a Guess ..!
  • Can't see a lot wrong with that although i think they'd only sell Diawara if they got a large part of his fee back and i can't see that happening. Wouldn't have thought he'd be on massive wages either as he came from France.
  • can't see holland and hughes turning down new deals if they're offered, neither will get a prem club and we'll start as championship favourites, surely any move is a backwards one?

would love to see song back and ambrose staying

and as above, diawara will not go for anything less than 2mil

hardly a shock article like the way it's presented, comes across a bit amateur
  • Depends if Holland and hughes are offered 2 year deals anywhere else i guess as we've only offered 1 i think?
  • 9k Fortune a week your having a laugh

I could do better than him FFS

He should be on no more than 900 a week
  • more like we are trying to get rid of Fortune but no one will take his 9k wage demand...

:)
  • Song, I think ,is pivotal .. but I unfortunately cant see it happening ... i think he would do a fantastic job for us in cc...
  • sounds to me as if we are already getting rid of a fortune by paying that joker over £400k a year.
  • ha ha..
  • Some of the article is already common knowledge but a lot looks pure speculation - why clear out our defence when it was looking good at the end and we'll need some quality should we return at the first attempt. I'd love it if Song returned on loan or permanently. Holland, Hughes and Kish can all do a job for us next year so I wait to see what really happens by Sept 1

The whole article is based on a guess of the new wage bill but I think two massive variables figure in the shape of Charlton for the next two years - how much for and when does Darren Bent go and how much is available / how much is the board prepared to borrow to get back up as quickly as possible. Personally I don't think it matters how much we lose next year if we can go straight back up
  • Sponsored links:

• Personally I do think it matters how much we lose next year - because going back up again is one mighty big "if".

As for the board borrowing to get back up - are you for real?
  • I reckon Diawara put in pretty decent showing, and showed some class, and therefore may have some value - but I guess time will tell.
  • Harry will have him surely!
  • there was a rumour harry wanted faye back... i'd drive him there if it was me
  • And i'll pay for your petrol!
  • If Darren Bent goes then this + the parachute money covers any losses for one year - if he stays but we have some interest then that's insurance.

What I'm saying is that Pardew must be aloowed to build on what he's done and that if we are real contenders in January he must be given whatever is needed to get us up + keep us there in 2008/9

Look at it the other way - in two years time if we don't make it back then the high earners will be gone and we will be starting again. So binning everyone now who is expensive is not going to help but they need to go within two years if we become mid-table - personally I don't think that will happen because Pardew has been here before and succeeded.
  • Pardew will be realistic in our financial position, but if he doesn't get the opportunity or backing to build his own side, he won't stay very long and parkinson will be in charge.
  • We need to take a calculated gamble, borrow to get promoted, within a agreed amount
    which the board are happy with (same gamble they chose last season giving Dowie 12m to spend ! )

I'd rather the board risk something this season with the momentum Pards has built
    since Christmas, if it don't happen this season then we accept that we will have to start
    again with a youth system.
  • how do you measure risk though ?

there is a massive difference between calculated risk, and sheer stupidity.

The board took a calculated risk last summer; spend more than we had, if it goes wrong we had Darren Bent to fall back on. If the same risk was taken this season, then there would be no player of Darren Bent's marketability to fall back on.
  • Look none of us want the board risk everything, but there has to be a middle ground.
    Maybe the is risk is that if DB is happy then he don't get sold.
  • Sponsored links:

• Afternoon all!

I don't like the thought of it, but we should get rid of Bent (15m?) and Young (4m?) to whoever has the cash, even if it 's West Ham. They're out of our financial reach now so local rivallry goes out of the window.

A few fringe players like Ashton etc will go, but I'd try and keep hold of El Kak and Diawara as they formed a reasonable prtnership at the end of last season. Not up to the Prem standard, but good enough to get us in contention for a return. You don't wanna rip the whole team to bits really do you?

If we don't come straight back up, have a clear out...
  • [cite]Posted By: YTS[/cite]Afternoon all!

I don't like the thought of it, but we should get rid of Bent (15m?) and Young (4m?) to whoever has the cash, even if it 's West Ham. They're out of our financial reach now so local rivallry goes out of the window.

A few fringe players like Ashton etc will go, but I'd try and keep hold of El Kak and Diawara as they formed a reasonable prtnership at the end of last season. Not up to the Prem standard, but good enough to get us in contention for a return. You don't wanna rip the whole team to bits really do you?

If we don't come straight back up, have a clear out...

EL Kak is going 100%
  • Comment YT!

If we rip the team to bits then it will take at least a couple of months for a new team to bed down. My only worry is that we didn't really have that much of a "team" last year anyway - just a collection of (pretty poor) individuals, so maybe major surgery is needed? Who knows, but I back our mate Tony .... sorry, I mean Alan ..... Pardew to be the one to sort it.
  • Heh heh...good point, we were sh*te last year, no arguements!!

However, Tony (sorry i mean Pards) did get a bit more out of 'em towards the end, including creating a bit of team spirit! It's important we carry that over to next season and "hit the ground running" as they say.

I'd back Pards to sign the right players though, just don't wanna see us get rid of a load of capable players (at Champ level) just to save cash...we're not that skint surely?
  • Bullshit article, most of it is already known and they've chucked some speculation in there as well.

Diawara will be very hard to offload, especially as Pompey have now signed HH, Holland will find it hard to get another deal close to ours and I can't see their point about Fortune's wages either as he will obviously have a relegation clause.
  • edited June 2007
    However, Tony (sorry i mean Pards)

Am i missing something??
  • If we don't make it back up first time then how many of the 17,000 will renew? So the board have to pull out all the stops including finding new backers? Selling more than one of our centre backs just does not make sense since we looked OK since Christmas and now have two new strikers.

So let's hope Darren is here until at least Christmas and the midfield clicks with whoever stays is signed - and we are in the top two or thereabouts looking forwards to a great return. Then the board won't have to worry about losing £10M next year - typed that quickly so it didn't crash my laptop! lol

I know new backing has been discussed on several threads before but I relly cannot see Charlton spending another 7 consecutive years in the premier league with all the mid tier clubs attracting buy-outs for £80M with similar transfer budgets over the next couple of years.