Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

national lottery

despite the lack of success in trying to win it, i still religiously pay my weekly idiot tax.
i am in a number of syndicates, bonus ball draws etc and still do the same numbers since it started.
i lay out £8 per week and the most ive won is £124 for four numbers.
how much do other people do, whats the most a lifer has won?

Comments

• i have never even won a tenner, despite largely doing two lines a week, and our work one has 6 lines, since day 1, and has never won more than a tenner
  • my dad once got 5 numbers and the bonus ball at work in a syndicate of 8. he went absoutely mental, was jumping around the room, spending the thousands...

....until he realised that it was that freak week when 20 people when the jackpot, he ended up with £64!!!

Oh how i laughed.

Personally i never do it, might buy a scratchcard if ive got a spare quid
  • I've used the same 6 numbers since it started and play every wednesday and saturday.....have won numerous tenners and once had 4 numbers and won about £40
  • Yeah mug punter here too. After years of non success on the Pools I welcomed the Lottery with open arms and was convinced I'd win big time!
    Hardly missed a draw in over 12 years, must have spent loads. I stupidly do more lines on Rollovers and ridiculous amounts for "Super Draws".
    I guess I have won a tenner about 30/40 times and I have had 4 numbers twice, netting £84 and £73- Wow!
    I only personally know two people who have had 5 numbers, both won about £2.5k.
    I just can't leave it though - it's the hope that kills you - as someone once said!
  • Do you play online or buy your ticket at the shop? Just wondering whether you have less chance of winning online?
  • edited June 2007
    I just do the lottery when I feel like it these days. Never spend more than £5 per week. Have to say that I've been fairly lucky over the years and have had a good number of wins ranging fro c£7 on the Euro to £3,500 (5 numbers) on the main draw. The very first week it got going I won £96.

Edit:

My mum was the lucky one in our family. Before her death she hit the Jackpot on Verons pools in 1958 winning £13k and in 1972 won £2k on littlewoods pools. She also won £7,777 on a lottery scratch card in 1995.

Futher Edit:

The Rugby club that I'm associated with have a monthly draw to win £750 and I've won that five times
  • I have one loads on the lottery! Never played it, so i say i won a pound every week since it started. I was very critical of it, as i am with all gambling, and said that i would never play it and be better off for it!

PBS says he spent 8 squid a week, anyone know when it started, i would like to no how much that adds up to? So i can see if i was right and if i am up!
  • [cite]Posted By: NorthStandUltra[/cite]Do you play online or buy your ticket at the shop? Just wondering whether you have less chance of winning online?
    Please tell me you're joking!

I had a massive argument with someone at work that lasted about 4 hours after i told him that buying two tickets doubles your chance of winning. he was convinced that was not the case!
  • [cite]Posted By: MCS[/cite]
    PBS says he spent 8 squid a week, anyone know when it started, i would like to no how much that adds up to? So i can see if i was right and if i am up!

i was gonna work it out when i first posted the thread. worked out what it is for a year (£400) then didn't wanna know when it started.
  • Ive been in two syndicates since it started with rare successes; £300 win and the odd tenners. So still waiting in hope for the biggy!
  • Sponsored links:

• I got four numbers once worth about £52. But other than that the odd tenner.
  • what an utter waste of time it is! If i had of been stronger when i was younger i should of just put a pound a week by, i would of had a nice tidy sum now!
  • £1500 for 5 numbers 10 years ago. the numbers came in while i was on honeymoon.was very handy as it made a slight dent into the bills.it was the week there was one winner who won £14m
  • Where I used to work, my old syndicate won £110,000 with 5 and a bonus between 11. Kept telling them I should have got a cut as I had left about 3 years earlier, but no luck. ;(
  • I know of a guy in his mid 50s who works for a well known supermarket chain, who about 3/4 years ago won 1.28million and you guessed it, he still works there,when I asked him" whats the point of doing"it , he told me the moneys in the bank for a rainy day!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Got 4 numbers in successive weeks winning £75 and £87. Had a few £10 but spent much, much more than I've won.

Ollie is right. It's a mugs game. Like Chirpy I do it instead of the pools.
  • [cite]Posted By: MCS[/cite]I have one loads on the lottery! Never played it, so i say i won a pound every week since it started. I was very critical of it, as i am with all gambling, and said that i would never play it and be better off for it!

Been going nearly 13 years (started in Nov 94), so we'll base it on 12 years, allowing for a few missed weeks....

So, 12 x 52 x 8 = £4992....
  • I run the syndicate at work.

hate doing it. everyone blames me when i don't report that we've won millions when i have to force them to hand over their £8 a period.

every month i send reminders about pay dates and if anyone will take over running it, and no one ever volunteers :-(

the most we won was 5 numbers and bonus and got £70 each. i've been here 3 years, and it was going for a couple before that. we win a tenner every now and then, and had 20 lines wed and sat, but now only 17 lines.
  • i remember being on a coach coming back from an away game the evening of the first draw.

Everyone on the coach had their tickets, lotto starts and it comes over the radio '5' and i go 'YES, GOT IT', but it turned out i was prematurely celebrating the countdown !
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: NorthStandUltra[/cite]Do you play online or buy your ticket at the shop? Just wondering whether you have less chance of winning online?
    Please tell me you're joking!

I had a massive argument with someone at work that lasted about 4 hours after i told him that buying two tickets doubles your chance of winning. he was convinced that was not the case!

I've just realised what a stupid question this is, I am sorry *hangs head in shame*
  • Sponsored links:

• The triple rollover tonight on the lotto was won by a single ticket holder. £17.8M.

Nice.
  • [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]The triple rollover tonight on the lotto was won by a single ticket holder. £17.8M.

Nice.
    For them, aye. F***ing horrible for the poor suckers who shell out a quid, fiver or tenner every week on what amounts to little more than another tax on the needy
  • edited March 2011
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]The triple rollover tonight on the lotto was won by a single ticket holder. £17.8M.

Nice.[/quote]
    For them, aye. F***ing horrible for the poor suckers who shell out a quid, fiver or tenner every week on what amounts to little more than another tax on the needy[/quote]

If they are so needy and poor why are they spending money on an optional lottery. Not a lot of sympathy for them from me! Especially when they have a licence to print money right here on the CL Grand National Thread!
  • A tip for anyone yet to start, don't do the same numbers every time, do lucky dips. Reason ? If you forget to buy your ticket one week and your numbers come up, you will know it and it will haunt you for the rest of your life.
    Also, when this Super 5 was added I was forced to play at extra cost for no reason other than to avoid my usual numbers coming up on a different night. Very clever marketing.
  • I do one line on a wednesday.
    Two lines on the friday/saturday.

Never done the lottery though.

Seriously, annoys me when people say it is a tax on the stupid.
    Only stupid if you spend money you have not got, added to the expectation you are gonna win.
    For me spending 4 quid a week to have the chance to win millions is not stupid.

No more a tax on the stupid than buying a Charlton season ticket !!!!
  • Friends young Daughter (21) just won £250,000.00 on a scratchcard!
  • I must have spent fortunes over the years on the Lottery. I don't do it religiously but do most draws when I remember. The most I have ever won is £40ish but that is probably my outlay in a month or two.

The thought of winning the life changing amount keeps me doing it but I haven't got anywhere near to date.

Hopefully I'll get an e-mail today saying I've won £17m though....
  • [cite]Posted By: Granpa[/cite]A tip for anyone yet to start, don't do the same numbers every time, do lucky dips. Reason ? If you forget to buy your ticket one week and your numbers come up, you will know it and it will haunt you for the rest of your life.
    Also, when this Super 5 was added I was forced to play at extra cost for no reason other than to avoid my usual numbers coming up on a different night. Very clever marketing.

Snap, too late for me, I've had the same 6 numbers since it started, have forgotton to do them a couple of times and literally watched the draw in a cold sweat.....I also now do that super play thing for the extra quid
  • 4 of us at work got 5 numbers a couple of years ago, worked out to about £450 each. Gutting this was we were one number away from the bonus ball.

Guy who was in my class at school won about £2.5m a few years ago.
  • Do 2 or 3 lines every week and have never even won a tenner.