Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Southend v Charlton | Boxing Day | 1pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Southend United v Charlton Athletic
Boxing Day … 1pm Kick-Off
Referee: Graham Horwood (Bedfordshire)

Introduction

Football might have finished at the Valley for 2017 yet it doesn’t mean there aren’t more matches to come this calendar year… Yesterday saw the Addicks leading 1-0 against Blackpool only to concede at the death, meaning that you have to go back to mid-November to find a Charlton victory… This Tuesday will see us travelling to Essex for a Boxing Day clash against: Southend United.

The Opposition
Name: Southend United | Manager: Phil Brown
Reverse Fixture: Charlton 2-1 Southend

Just one re-arranged fixture stands between Charlton and the fact they’ll have played every side at least once this term – Our game against Southend on Boxing Day should be the last time we’ll face the Shrimpers this season and is a chance for the Addicks to complete a double over their opponents for the first time since 2009/10.

In September though it was a case of two strong sides facing off in an early season encounter – After a tight first half, the Addicks would take a quick 2-0 lead with Jake Forster-Caskey scoring one of the best finishes this season… John White for Southend would get a goal on 78mins to setup a nervy last 10- minutes yet Karl Robinson and his side would stay strong and so record our fourth win on the trot.

For Southend though it’s been a mixed season after just missing out on the Play-Offs last year… Currently occupying 13th spot; the Shrimpers sit on 28-points. A win for Phil Brown and his side on Tuesday will see them edge slightly closer whilst defeat for our opponents could see them just drop to within two points of the relegation zone

Proof that the Addicks need to return to form and soon to avoid being dragged back into that scrap.

Charlton Team News
Saturday’s performance against Blackpool was notable for the absence of eight First-Team players – That number was briefly extended to nine when Leon Best limped off with a hamstring injury and so rule himself out for the next three games… Thankfully; Karl Robinson confirmed afterwards that three un-named players are set to return on Tuesday yet with no names given we can only guess as to who they might be.

Despite that assurance two players who will be missing are Jason Pearce and Chris Solly with Robinson confirming that the two have been ruled out for at least three weeks… For one player it would be a surprise to see Johnnie Jackson appearing for a second time in such a few days, and with Ahmed Kashi back against Blackpool you’d expect to see a straight swap between those two.

Amos
Dijksteel | Konsa | Sarr | Dasilva
Kashi | Forster-Caskey
Holmes | Reeves | Marshall
Magennis

Substitutes Bench: Phillips | Lennon | Jackson | Lapslie | Aribo | Ahearne-Grant | Dodoo

Prediction
Having not lost at Roots Lane this season taking three points from Southend will certainly be a tough ask – With three players apparently back on Tuesday it’ll certainly increase our chances of getting a win. Yet I believe with our recent run its going to be too much to ask and another draw is all we can hope for.

Comments

• Options
    Bauer will be fit. Forster- Caskey will not be fit.
  • Options
    I know the ref. He don't take any nonsense, so beware if gets any back chat. After yesterday's result, then 3 points is now a must
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

A few weeks for both.
  • Options
    Front four of Holmes, Reeves, Marshall and Magennis at the start of the season would probably be Robinson’s first choice imo. Is there enough goals in them? Probably not!
  • Options
    Comfortable away win 4-0.
  • Options

Need to keep playing Aribo, while he's in form.

If not needed as DM, play him further forward in the 10 role or wide.

• Options
    Hope we get a result.
  • Options
    I see Southend haven't lost at Roots Lane.

What about their own Roots Hall stadium?
  • Options
    Southend lost their last game at home against Bradford

I can’t see it being two on the trot unfortunately

I would bring Kashi in for JJ and give Josh a rest although I don’t think the latter will happen because of the lack of bodies

0-0
  • Options
    5am kick off here means I might be depressed at 7am.

As we get players back I think our results will improve. We had a good opening 45 minutes yesterday but such is the way this season, didn't take out chances.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

dickplumb said:

A few weeks for both.
    Baeur said to me yesterday in the Club Shop that he hoped to be fit for the Southend game.

• Options
    After his performance on Saturday Aribo has to start.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Macronate said:

I see Southend haven't lost at Roots Lane.

What about their own Roots Hall stadium?

Hoping for a draw, but seems unlikely.
    2-2 or 2-1

Bauer to score.
  • Options
    Aribo and KAG should start.
  • Options
    Tough place to go and get a result but there is always hope. Returning players will help but i think this will be a very difficult end of year for Charlton. 2-0 Southend. Merry Christmas to all Addicks!!
  • Options
    Can only see a Southend win given our toothless attack
  • Options
    3-0 Southend
    Charlton life goes into a bigger meltdown.
    Seeing as it's Christmas I will give Karl a breather
  • Options
    Lose at Southend and a big defeat at Wigan, mid table beckons.
  • Options
    My predicted team (being optimistic here with injury returns):

..........Amos
    Konsa Bauer(C) Sarr DaSilva
    ........Aribo.......Kashi
    Marshall...Reeves......Holmes
    ............Magennis

That starts to look like a good team. I think having Bauer back will make a huge difference. I think he brings a calmness to the defense that we lack without him.
  • Options
    1-3. Marshall and Magennis 2
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yet another defeat..................................................
  • Options
    I assume KR will play his strongest team possible in this match, with any tired legs rested for the Wigan match which is (far) less likely to produce a return

Another 1-1, Ricky Holmes scoring our goal to a crescendo of boos from the home fans
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Can see this one going wrong too...3-1 Sarfend....☹️
  • Options
    Southend's keeper was injured yesterday and is doubtful .
  • Options
    Boring 0-0.
  • Options
    With all our injuries I would park the bus and try to nick a 0-1 but dont think Robinson has it in him!
  • Options
    Big game this, 1-2 to the addicks , josh back firing on all cylinders
  • Options
    Q
    SDAddick said:

My predicted team (being optimistic here with injury returns):

..........Amos
    Konsa Bauer(C) Sarr DaSilva
    ........Aribo.......Kashi
    Marshall...Reeves......Holmes
    ............Magennis

That starts to look like a good team. I think having Bauer back will make a huge difference. I think he brings a calmness to the defense that we lack without him.

Dropping Dyksteel?

I would play

Amos.

Dyksteel, Baur, Sarr, Lennon.

Aribo, Konsa, Kashi, DeSilva.

Homes, Maginnis.

Aribo and DeSilva offer a good attacking option and can also defend. If we must play 4-3-3 then I would play Aribo further forward.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    I’d try this formation up at Southend in preparation for the Wigan match.

I have total confidence that Karl will do the same.

Amos
    Bauer | Konsa | Sarr
    Dijksteel | Dasilva
    Kashi | Aribo
    Holmes | Ahearne-Grant | Marshall

Substitutes Bench: Phillips | Lennon | Jackson | Lapslie | | Magennis | Dodoo

With this formation, 2-1 to the Addicks.

• Options
    JamesSeed said:

I’d try this formation up at Southend in preparation for the Wigan match.

I have total confidence that Karl will do the same.

Amos
    Bauer | Konsa | Sarr
    Dijksteel | Dasilva
    Kashi | Aribo
    Holmes | Ahearne-Grant | Marshall

Substitutes Bench: Phillips | Lennon | Jackson | Lapslie | | Magennis | Dodoo

With this formation, 2-1 to the Addicks.

I assume you are going narrow as Brown does not tend to play wingers?

It is why I have gone with my team so we can really get the tackles in midfield. I have also gone with a formation that all would understand. I think a radical change of tactics with new personal maybe a step to far.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!