Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton flashback memories

"Dave get your coat on where going to see the reserves tonight"

Coat gets thrown towards my head

"Our manager Alan Curbishley has signed an Iranian superstar that's supposed to be the next zidane. His name is Karim Bagheri and curbs pinched him for a bargain of 1million."

Me: "I'd rather stay home, it's cold"

"Tough, get in the car"

On approximately the 25th minute, Baggy side foots in the back of the bet a left footed screamer from 20 yards out with Derby county's keeper at full stretch. The valley erupts.

Bagheri gets subbed at half time. We go home.

The following Monday, KB makes his charlton debut away at Ipswich coming on off the bench with 20mins left.

May be a case that Curbs wasn't impressed by what he saw, or the Iranian superstar picked up a career ending injury at Portman road. Either way, he never played for charlton again.

1. This flash back may have been partially influenced by Middle East chat on the takeover thread.

2. A lot of it may not be factually accurate.

3. If you want to write a charlton flashback memory yourself, the rule is you can't use google to help beforehand.

Comments

• Options
    1982. I'm a paperboy. Walking from house to house I often read the back pages of the various papers, although the tabloids were obviously the best ones for football news. One story kept running & running. Charlton were going to sign world superstar Alan Simonsen. In those days the only football outside the UK you would see or hear about were European cup games (on Sportsnight) or during the World Cup. I admit I'd never heard of the guy & was intrigued. Surely we couldn't sign an ex European player of the year - this was Charlton we're talking about. The club that signed players like Billy Landsdowne, Tony Towner & Phil Ferns.

The saga rumbled on..........and on.........and on. Then, one day, I read that he was signing & he was going to play that weekend. No, the signing was delayed & he was signing during the week & he was going to play in the midweek reserve game. I'd never been to a reserve game before but me & my brother decided we had to go & see this great player. We turned up, along with another 4,000 other fans (yes, 4,000 for a reserve game), only to find that he wasn't there........well, he didn't start which must have meant the transfer had fallen through. But wait, we hear at half time that he was indeed in the ground & he was going to come on in the 2nd half...........

I can't remember much about the actual match, apart from 1 piece of action in the 2nd half. Simonsen had come on & he played a sublime 1-2 with our very own superstar, one Derek "Killer" Hales. This was not just a 1-2, but a 3-4 & even a 5-6......ending with a cross by Simonsen & a shot by "Killer" that almost went in. In my memory it hit the bar - if it had gone it then I think I'd have packed it all in as there could never have been a better goal in history.
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

...May be a case that Curbs wasn't impressed by what he saw, or the Iranian superstar picked up a career ending injury at Portman road. Either way, he never played for charlton again...

It seemed to me (I'm not saying this is accurate, but it's my perception) that KB played for Iran several times whilst at Charlton, each time he returned from international duty he brought back a knock that kept him out of the team for the exact period until his next international appearance. Something funny going on I think.
  • Options
    I also have vision/memory of him looking similar to Borat but might be way off.
  • Options
    Any through-ball from Murphy or Reid to Benty where he is only going to get one touch............
    Goal !
    The fella was mustard.