Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Justin Gatlin

Given the latest drug allegations is it fair to say the whole drugs battle in athletics is effectively lost? I'm sure there are clean athletes but really as a sport like cycling It's hard not to view as laden down with cheats.

Comments

• Thought we had signed him then
  • Just let them all take drugs.

Level playing field then. Plus who doesn't want to see the 100m run in 6.1 seconds.

Javelin might get a bit risky for the spectators (and other runners) down the other end of the field if they're able to throw further and further having taken drugs?
  • Just let them all take drugs.

Level playing field then. Plus who doesn't want to see the 100m run in 6.1 seconds.

Javelin might get a bit risky for the spectators (and other runners) down the other end of the field if they're able to throw further and further having taken drugs?
    Bigger stadiums paid for by the drug companies.
  • World champion sprinter Justin Gatlin says he is "shocked and surprised" at doping allegations made against his coach and an agent.

Athletics anti-doping officials have begun an investigation into what the president of the sport's governing body called "serious allegations" about Dennis Mitchell and Robert Wagner.

The Daily Telegraph said Wagner - an agent linked to Gatlin - offered to "illicitly supply performance-enhancing drugs" to undercover reporters.

A video released by the Telegraph features a man the newspaper says is Wagner insinuating Gatlin is taking banned drugs, "just like every other sprinter in America".

The paper also said Gatlin's coach, former Olympic gold medallist Mitchell, told reporters that athletes are able to get away with doping because the drugs they use cannot be detected by tests.

Both deny the allegations.

Writing on Instagram on Tuesday, Gatlin said he "fired" Mitchell "as soon as I found out about this".

The 35-year-old American said he is "not using and have not used" performance-enhancing drugs.

So a guy who got quicker the further into his 30s he got and has been banned twice before for drugs, is 'shocked and surprised' at his coach saying everyone's on drugs.
  • edited December 2017
    Waste of time watching it. Why watch a race when you can’t be certain that those competing are not cheating. Used to love watching athletics. Don’t give it the time of day now.

Gatlin has been banned twice before for drug taking. Where’s the punishment or deterrent in that. Banning for life is only answer and I bet it still won’t be a clean sport.
  • So a guy who got quicker the further into his 30s he got and has been banned twice before for drugs, is 'shocked and surprised' at his coach saying everyone's on drugs.

Shocked that its taken them so long to twig!!
  • A guy who beats Usain Bolt, the fastest natural sprinter to have ever lived, despite being 4 years older than him despite being a drugs cheat before is surprised his coaching team have said everyone is enhancers...

It would be amazing if Gatlin was stripped of his gold from this year.
  • Right, let’s appoint Gatlin’s trainer as our first team coach.
  • Sponsored links:

• Dazzler21 said:

A guy who beats Usain Bolt, the fastest natural sprinter to have ever lived, despite being 4 years older than him despite being a drugs cheat before is surprised his coaching team have said everyone is enhancers...

This is in no way a defense of the odious cheat and toxic hypocrite that is J Gatlin but the chief reason he was able to beat Usain Bolt was because UB wasn't fit and probably carrying the hamstring issue that literally felled him in the relay, days later.

I was at the 100M final in London this year and the atmosphere dipped dramatically as we all realised UB hadn't won and then crashed as we learned the despicable, cheating reptile had crossed the line first. Then the booing rang out, which was really loud and heartfelt all around, plus surprisingly cathartic. JG at least had enough about him to get off track swiftly rather than risk the opprobrium cascading from the stands getting any more intense.
    JG might well be "shocked and surprised" but not that his people are claiming to source performance enhancing substances, just that they are being outed. One thing common to so many of the american based athletics cheats has been the scale of their arrogance. Like JG, get caught twice, deny the findings, dispute the results, then take the punishments through the US courts where only money talks, then return to the sport indignant that you're about as welcome as a fart in a lift.
    I hope Gatlin turns out to be as rotten as I think he is, gets done for a third time, then reaps the karmic reward for his loathsome character and develops numerous debilitating, painful pulmonary impairments, which blight his remaining days in this mortal coil. Twunt.
  • A video released by the Telegraph features a man the newspaper says is Wagner insinuating Gatlin is taking banned drugs, "just like every other sprinter in America".
    Maybe the US, like Russia should also be banned from the Olympics...
  • Dazzler21 said:

A guy who beats Usain Bolt, the fastest natural sprinter to have ever lived, despite being 4 years older than him despite being a drugs cheat before is surprised his coaching team have said everyone is enhancers...

This is in no way a defense of the odious cheat and toxic hypocrite that is J Gatlin but the chief reason he was able to beat Usain Bolt was because UB wasn't fit and probably carrying the hamstring issue that literally felled him in the relay, days later.

I was at the 100M final in London this year and the atmosphere dipped dramatically as we all realised UB hadn't won and then crashed as we learned the despicable, cheating reptile had crossed the line first. Then the booing rang out, which was really loud and heartfelt all around, plus surprisingly cathartic. JG at least had enough about him to get off track swiftly rather than risk the opprobrium cascading from the stands getting any more intense.
    JG might well be "shocked and surprised" but not that his people are claiming to source performance enhancing substances, just that they are being outed. One thing common to so many of the american based athletics cheats has been the scale of their arrogance. Like JG, get caught twice, deny the findings, dispute the results, then take the punishments through the US courts where only money talks, then return to the sport indignant that you're about as welcome as a fart in a lift.
    I hope Gatlin turns out to be as rotten as I think he is, gets done for a third time, then reaps the karmic reward for his loathsome character and develops numerous debilitating, painful pulmonary impairments, which blight his remaining days in this mortal coil. Twunt.
    If you're alone a fart in a lift can be quite theraputic. If others are there too... it is the most terrifying thing gambling on whether it is silent and deadly or loud and you're not proud.
  • Given the latest drug allegations is it fair to say the whole drugs battle in athletics is effectively lost? I'm sure there are clean athletes but really as a sport like cycling It's hard not to view as laden down with cheats.

You think so? At world level I'd beg to differ.
  • Dazzler21 said:

I find it funny that Gatlin is pinned as the devil and Bolt as whiter than white, when they're most probably on exactly the same stuff currently.
  • He is a cheat. And probably still less doped up than the average person on the tour de france who finishes in 50th place.
  • edited December 2017

I find it funny that Gatlin is pinned as the devil and Bolt as whiter than white, when they're most probably on exactly the same stuff currently.

Bolt shows many of the signs of being doped up. I just don't WANT to believe it.

• I find it funny that Gatlin is pinned as the devil and Bolt as whiter than white, when they're most probably on exactly the same stuff currently.

Bolt shows many of the signs of being doped up. I just don't WANT to believe it.
    I prefer to go along with the 'Bolt was just a freak of nature'. He won gold in the world junior championships at 15 years old. He was running close to 20 seconds in the 200m at just 16 years old. First ever junior sprinter to go under 20 seconds in the 200.

He was always good, probably didn't need drugs. Plus he's very tall with an unorthodox style, he's not your usual stocky, muscular, powerhouse sprinter.

But......given the fact that seemingly every other top sprinter is on something, then you can certainly understand why people would assume he was too.