Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Steve Gans? No,me neither but he remembers his "time at Charlton"

Last night, stuffed with a cold and unable to sleep, I tuned in to the World Service which went to Alan Green's World Soccer package. Apparently USA Soccer Fed will have an open vote for a new President and Green was speaking to one of the candidates, Steve Gans. Green asked him about introducing promotion and relegation. In a thoughtful and coherent answer Gans explained the complexities, said that one issue is that US football isn't yet tribal enough. To illustrate his point he started to talk about Charlton, his time "with them" and how when they first reached the FAPL they got 27,000, they got relegated and 25,000 still turned up, and saw them go straight back up. Well his memory is playing tricks on him, figures wise, but his point is well made, and it was kinda poignant for him to talk about Charlton to a world football audience as if everyone would recognise the name.

I still had no idea what his connection was but if you read his bio in this general article on the elections you get the picture. He might have been a contact of Mike Stevens, I guess.

Comments

• Am I misremembering or were we heavily linked to signing Eric Wynalda once, back in the day?
  • Not sure about Wynalda. Doesnt ring a bell to me. Are you thinking of Clint thingy, the pretty decent international striker, played for Fulham? But I wonder if this guy was involved with our various American players? I'll give it half an hour before someone blames him for Cory Gibbs :-)
  • Fumbluff said:

Am I misremembering or were we heavily linked to signing Eric Wynalda once, back in the day?

We were. I couldn't name every player we were linked with last summer but for some reason I always remember us being linked with him.

http://www.nytimes.com/1998/12/28/sports/plus-soccer-england-charlton-drops-bid-for-wynalda.html
  • Not sure about Wynalda. Doesnt ring a bell to me. Are you thinking of Clint thingy, the pretty decent international striker, played for Fulham? But I wonder if this guy was involved with our various American players? I'll give it half an hour before someone blames him for Cory Gibbs :-)

Dempsey
  • Scoham said:

Fumbluff said:

Am I misremembering or were we heavily linked to signing Eric Wynalda once, back in the day?

We were. I couldn't name every player we were linked with last summer but for some reason I always remember us being linked with him.

http://www.nytimes.com/1998/12/28/sports/plus-soccer-england-charlton-drops-bid-for-wynalda.html
    Phew, for a moment I thought I may have confused him with Roy Wegerle...
  • Wasn’t Paul Caligiuri (sp?) on trial here once?
  • RedChaser said:

Not sure about Wynalda. Doesnt ring a bell to me. Are you thinking of Clint thingy, the pretty decent international striker, played for Fulham? But I wonder if this guy was involved with our various American players? I'll give it half an hour before someone blames him for Cory Gibbs :-)

Dempsey
    We ended up with Cory Gibbs.

• I noticed that Oguchi Onyewu is available on a free after being released by his MLS team....
  • My gutters need cleaning?
  • Sponsored links:

I was thinking more in terms of having a run up front. Magennis could do your gutters.
  • Fumbluff said:

Scoham said:

Fumbluff said:

Phew, for a moment I thought I may have confused him with Roy Wegerle...
    Speaking of Wegerle, we had an American on trial called Bryce Wegerle.

I was thinking more in terms of having a run up front. Magennis could do your gutters.
    He'd most likely miss though....
  • Yeah it’s my gutters I want cleaned not next door’s
  • edited December 2017
    Oakster said:

I noticed that Oguchi Onyewu is available on a free after being released by his MLS team....

He turned up on a BBC list of teammates having fights last week, apparently him and Ibrahimovich had the mother of all punch-ups when they were at Milan. For once they mentioned that someone in the story had played for Charlton (Onyewu, not Ibra in case you were wondering), he's probably more famous for the ruck than what he achieved in SE7.