Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Checkatrade last 16 - Charlton v Oxford at the Valley - 9th Jan 2018

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5a2ffeee41a22/date-and-kick-off-time-confirmed-for-oxford-united-checkatrade-trophy-tie

A date and kick-off time have been confirmed for Charlton's last-16 Checkatrade Trophy tie against Oxford United.

Hosted at The Valley, the knock-out match will be contested on Tuesday, January 9th and will kick-off at 7.45pm.

A winner must be decided on the night and if it is level after 90 minutes, it will go straight to penalties.

After finishing as runners-up in Southern Group A, the Addicks beat Swansea City U21 in the round of 32 to progress into the next round.

Youngster Reeco Hackett-Fairchild bagged a brace in that match and Karlan Ahearne-Grant also notched, and highlights from the game can be viewed on Valley Pass.

The last-16 draw, which is the last stage of the competition to be regionalised, can be seen in full below.

Northern section

Oldham Athletic v Leicester City U21
Rochdale v Lincoln City
Bury v Fleetwood Town
Shrewsbury Town v Blackpool

Southern section

Yeovil Town v Forest Green Rovers
Chelsea U21 v Portsmouth
Charlton Athletic v Oxford United
Luton Town v Peterborough United

Comments

• Chelsea v Leicester in the final ?
  • edited December 2017
    When will this tournament ever end? Or am I getting it mixed up with the Carabau cup thing?
  • Chelsea v Leicester in the final ?

If it is then it will be the end of the competition for good.

Leicester playing international over age players from their 1st team squad is nothing short of cheating and has made it even more farcical.
  • https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league-academies-stay-as-efl-clubs-vote-in-favour-of-keeping-current-checkatrade-trophy-a3537831.html

League One and League Two clubs were presented with the option of retaining the current format – the subject of some criticism this season – reverting to a 48-team knockout tournament or scrapping the competition entirely.

Two-thirds of clubs voted to retain the status quo until the end of the 2018-19 season though there will be some revisions to the structure of the competition, in which Coventry beat Oxford at Wembley to claim the prize.

Article from last May in the substandard. Firstly, I wasn't aware that League 1 and 2 clubs were given the option of scrapping the tournament altogether. Secondly, I can't believe that at least 2/3rds of clubs voted not to scrap it - I've never heard a manager show any enthusiasm for the tournament, I've certainly never heard any supporters show any enthusiasm for it (apart from the clubs that have got to Wembley), and with gates of comfortably under a thousand I can't believe the owners want to keep it going either - must be costing them money to turn the floodlights on, staff the stadium and pay the appearance fees to play a game in front of a handful of diehards.

Anyway, hope it's Leicester vs Chelsea in the final.
  • MrLargo said:

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league-academies-stay-as-efl-clubs-vote-in-favour-of-keeping-current-checkatrade-trophy-a3537831.html

League One and League Two clubs were presented with the option of retaining the current format – the subject of some criticism this season – reverting to a 48-team knockout tournament or scrapping the competition entirely.

Two-thirds of clubs voted to retain the status quo until the end of the 2018-19 season though there will be some revisions to the structure of the competition, in which Coventry beat Oxford at Wembley to claim the prize.

Article from last May in the substandard. Firstly, I wasn't aware that League 1 and 2 clubs were given the option of scrapping the tournament altogether. Secondly, I can't believe that at least 2/3rds of clubs voted not to scrap it - I've never heard a manager show any enthusiasm for the tournament, I've certainly never heard any supporters show any enthusiasm for it (apart from the clubs that have got to Wembley), and with gates of comfortably under a thousand I can't believe the owners want to keep it going either - must be costing them money to turn the floodlights on, staff the stadium and pay the appearance fees to play a game in front of a handful of diehards.

Anyway, hope it's Leicester vs Chelsea in the final.

B Teams pay an initial fee to enter the tournament, which guarantees all football league teams a certain amount cash. It's easier to take premier league clubs money instead of trying to raise it yourself.
  • When's next season's draw?
  • Having been to every home game v a proper team in this competition so far this year I'll be there and I'll be at Wembley too when all you glory boys turn up.
  • Apparently we're second favourites to win the trophy behind Shrewsbury.
  • Apparently we're second favourites to win the trophy behind Shrewsbury.

I take it thats because we're the second highest league team left in the competition?
  • Sponsored links:

• These glamour fixtures keep piling up.

Would be marginally less soporific if it wasn't always Milton Keynes, Oxford or Huddersfield.
  • Would love to get Forest Green Away, only 30mins away for me, I’d probably be a very lonely Addick
  • While many Charlton fans see this cup as a two bob job, many teams in league two and some in league one take this very serious.
    Why not? It's offers a good opportunity for those teams to have a cup run, with the potential to get to Wembley.
  • PopIcon said:

While many Charlton fans see this cup as a two bob job, many teams in league two and some in league one take this very serious.
    Why not? It's offers a good opportunity for those teams to have a cup run, with the potential to get to Wembley.

We are one of "those teams" now.
  • Redrobo said:

PopIcon said:

While many Charlton fans see this cup as a two bob job, many teams in league two and some in league one take this very serious.

Well we are a league one side, a not particularly good one at that. I think we should have a good go at it.
  • edited December 2017
    PopIcon said:

To be fair we've taken it pretty seriously as a club over the last five seasons in League One.

Prior to the last two attempts we've reached the Southern Semi-Final (lost on penalties to Brentford which would have setup a local final before Wembley against Exeter) and then the year before that we reached the Quarter-Finals only to lose to a Southampton side who were damned strong.

Trouble with these competitions is the prize money is lame whilst there is no reward... Maybe a better idea would be for the FA Cup / League Cup winners to have a Play-Off tie to determine who goes into the Champions League instead of 4th spot - For the Football League Trophy winners maybe they should be guaranteed the final spot in the Play-Offs provided they're not relegated or already in the top six
  • PopIcon said:

Redrobo said:

PopIcon said:

Well we are a league one side, a not particularly good one at that. I think we should have a good go at it.
    Are you suggesting we should play a full strength side? Promotion must be top priority so the policy of giving "returning from injured" and fringe players game time along with blodding youngsters, sounds a good policy to continue with to me
  • I think there is a slightly different mentality between a club which "expects" promotion from L1, or at least a good effort, and a team happy to be midtable in L1, for which this is a rare chance of glory

If we finished 8th and won the Checkatrade, nobody would be dancing in the streets, whereas if Bristol Rovers or Oldham did it, they'd be delighted with their season
  • I think there is a slightly different mentality between a club which "expects" promotion from L1, or at least a good effort, and a team happy to be midtable in L1, for which this is a rare chance of glory

If we finished 8th and won the Checkatrade, nobody would be dancing in the streets, whereas if Bristol Rovers or Oldham did it, they'd be delighted with their season

To be fair there wasnt much dancing in the streets when we won League One last time as like you say; a club of our size arent expected to be at this level so many will have seen it as taking two years too long to get out of the Division.