Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

STATBANK: Charlton 0-1 Portsmouth

many thanks to the 65 Lifers who gave marks
couple of stats that I particularly noticed were that it took us until the 35th minute to have a shot a goal,and in the whole game Magennis didn't have a single shot at Pompy's goal.

Comments

• Options
    Quite rightly the front four occupy the bottom four positions.
  • Options
    When your goalkeeper is the best player at home then it tells you haven't done enough
  • Options
    Solly being better than 4 other players in that game is madness.

Gave away a penalty and let Lowe run past him non stop for 90 minutes.
  • Options
    I hope Josh Magennis had a few shots at the Christmas Party, as he had no shots in the match, which is dismal for a centre forward in a game when we had 55% possession
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

I hope Josh Magennis had a few shots at the Christmas Party, as he had no shots in the match, which is dismal for a centre forward in a game when we had 55% possession

Two many high crosses when he was outgunned by two massive defenders. Our final ball into the box is appalling - I've been saying it for ages.
    Another worrying stat is that he seems to have zero assists for the season.
    JamesSeed said:

Two many high crosses when he was outgunned by two massive defenders. Our final ball into the box is appalling - I've been saying it for ages.
    The problem is that he's offering no threat on the ground either at the moment, as he's not mobile enough to find space. I don't know whether it's tiredness, lack of confidence or lack of effort, but he's not having an impact at the moment

Incidentally, looking at the programme, I notice that KAG's goal vs Posh last week was the FIRST one scored by one of our substitutes in the league this season, which is another damning stat concerning the attacking options he's had on the bench.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

YESSSSSSSS you and me both mate. So many terrible
    lofted crosses lofted into the box, usually with Holmes' weaker foot (Marshall rarely beat the first man). At best we usually have Big Josh and JFC up against 3-4 defenders and it's just meat and drink for League One center halves.
  • Options

Solly being better than 4 other players in that game is madness.

Gave away a penalty and let Lowe run past him non stop for 90 minutes.

To be fair, the penalty decision was a really, really poor one. But I agree, he was awful and he got second worst mark.

Also, I find it strange, and harsh, that Aribo is above Sarr and Konsa. He had a good first half but he disappeared in the second. To be fair to him, I suspect something went terribly wrong in the coaching instructions in that he and JFC didn't seem to know which one was meant to sit deepest, but he still had a bad game. And just because he wasn't good on Saturday doesn't mean he's not good enough for a team chasing promotion in this league, I personally think he's more than good enough and he just had a bad night like most of those around him.

By contrast, I thought Sarr was very solid and that Konsa was good. Portsmouth didn't create a whole lot. Maybe it felt like they did because we created so little.
  • Options

JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

The problem is that he's offering no threat on the ground either at the moment, as he's not mobile enough to find space. I don't know whether it's tiredness, lack of confidence or lack of effort, but he's not having an impact at the moment

Incidentally, looking at the programme, I notice that KAG's goal vs Posh last week was the FIRST one scored by one of our substitutes in the league this season, which is another damning stat concerning the attacking options he's had on the bench.
    Or maybe Karl's bringing them on too late?
  • Options
    Magennis 5 goals, zero assists!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Mag replaces Solly at the bottom of the averages for the regular starters.

• Options
    Redhenry said:

and we are playing him as the main (and only) striker. Top decision to continue playing that way.
  • Options
    Part of the set up is presumably for Marshall to get to the by line and cross for Magennis, which isn't happening.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    seth plum said:

Part of the set up is presumably for Marshall to get to the by line and cross for Magennis, which isn't happening.

Well there have been dozens of crosses from both sides, but other than Best's, can't remember a single header on goal.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

seth plum said:

Well there have been dozens of crosses from both sides, but other than Best's, can't remember a single header on goal.
    But to be fair to Magennis he was always alone up against 3 defenders whenever the ball was played into the box. He did well to win as many as he did. When he did win them there was no one within 100 yards to reach the knock down.
  • Options
    Redhenry said:

I'd have expected a few by now and he's not playing well, but assists doesn't completely show how effective a striker is (or isn't).

To compare to 11/12 Hayes got 5 assists in 12 starts (plus 7 sub apps) while Yann also got 5 but in 33 starts (plus 3 sub apps). Everyone would have Yann over Hayes.

BWP got the most assists in the squad with 10.

https://us.v-cdn.net/5000498/uploads/FileUpload/1c/ace34b1fb561403f23dadf3d3cd82b.pdf
  • Options
    Redhenry said:

Doesnt help the fact he's winning headers yet our players are too slow to react - Almost a case of "lets see where the ball goes" rather than taking a risk and anticipating where the ball might go if the header is won
  • Options

Redhenry said:

Doesnt help the fact he's winning headers yet our players are too slow to react - Almost a case of "lets see where the ball goes" rather than taking a risk and anticipating where the ball might go if the header is won
    Agree 100%. None of our forward players take a gamble on where the ball will go off JM's head.

Similar with their reactions to Clarke's lay offs.