Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Plan B

People say that we don’t have a Plan B.

But what would a Plan B look like, personally I haven’t a clue but many of you seem to think you do? And is the problem, we simply don’t have the players and depth in our squad to implement a Plan B, even if there was one?

Comments

• edited December 2017
    Dammit. Beaten to it.
  • People say that we don’t have a Plan B.

But what would a Plan B look like

Ha Ha I forgot about him, is he still going?
  • People say that we don’t have a Plan B.

But what would a Plan B look like, personally I haven’t a clue but many of you seem to think you do? And is the problem, we simply don’t have the players and depth in our squad to implement a Plan B, even if there was one?

Two words why we don't...

Roland Duchatelet
  • He needs to be more willing to adapt rather than have a second system. Peeters and Luzon had the same problem, so set on their own style. It got so ridiculous with Luzon that we played 3 left backs in a 4-4-2, 2 out of position on each wing in midfield.

As laughable an appointment Fraeye was at least he'd try different systems.

I like the idea of high tempo, high pressing, passing out from the back etc but results have to be the priority. That doesn't mean we need to play a direct 4-4-2 but I've said before I think trying to play this way at this level and get results is difficult to do.

Although Curbs and Powell didn't always play the best football both used different formations and styles of play to get results. That's got to be more important over playing your ideal way. Teams know exactly what to expect and we're not always good enough to deal with it.

If he had his ideal squad in terms of options, quality and cover he might do things a bit differently. Never going to happen with RD owning the club, instead it's about hoping youth make the step up and offer what's needed.
  • Was hoping this was going to be a thread about Dexys Midnight Runners.
  • Scoham said:

He needs to be more willing to adapt rather than have a second system. Peeters and Luzon had the same problem, so set on their own style. It got so ridiculous with Luzon that we played 3 left backs in a 4-4-2, 2 out of position on each wing in midfield.

As laughable an appointment Fraeye was at least he'd try different systems.

I like the idea of high tempo, high pressing, passing out from the back etc but results have to be the priority. That doesn't mean we need to play a direct 4-4-2 but I've said before I think trying to play this way at this level and get results is difficult to do.

Although Curbs and Powell didn't always play the best football both used different formations and styles of play to get results. That's got to be more important over playing your ideal way. Teams know exactly what to expect and we're not always good enough to deal with it.

If he had his ideal squad in terms of options, quality and cover he might do things a bit differently. Never going to happen with RD owning the club, instead it's about hoping youth make the step up and offer what's needed.

Don't forget, Luzon also had 3 more left backs on the bench, just in case Plan C was needed....always thinking that guy, always thinking and crouching....
  • We haven’t really got one. We waste so much time (Amos in particular) at the back, the ball doesn’t get forward quick enough, and when we do get it up the pitch it more often then not comes back. I would personally look at going with 3 centre backs. DaSilva higher up the pitch would be a good move - maybe Marshall at Right Wing Back.

Robinson is obsessed with his 4-2-3-1 formation - it’s fine when we are winning and he has his first choice XI in the pitch and they are on top of their game...... but he has to be more flexible when it’s going to shit.
  • Sponsored links:

• We always talk about a managers stubbornness but I find it incredible, if all you lot can see what needs changing, why can’t he?

Or is it about being undermined or losing face?
  • We always talk about a managers stubbornness but I find it incredible, if all you lot can see what needs changing, why can’t he?

Or is it about being undermined or losing face?

He has coached at some of the big clubs in this country, and he used this formation to be so successful at MK???, so why should he take any notice of fans of Charlton, who really know nothing about tactics, we should just stop thinking we are watching shi, sorry boring, tactically thinking football and be excited by the football we are watching
  • We see the desperate plan B with 5 minutes to go. With the personnel we have, only the desperate plan B is viable. That is push Sarr up and go three at the back. The issue until we can bring some more in is that if Plan A is never going to work, as was clear on Saturday, you have to go to the risky plan B much earlier. But if you are losing and creating nothing, what is there to lose?
  • Plan B is bring in a new manager and buy more strikers so we have the personnel to change formation to make a difference.
  • I think all managers have certain set principles and ways of playing. One thing I've noted under KR is that we are more flexible in terms of who takes throw ins, whereas for example under Curbs and Powell I don't think a short thrown in was ever taken by someone other than the full back, even if the winger had the ball. To them, keeping the shape was key
  • I think all managers have certain set principles and ways of playing. One thing I've noted under KR is that we are more flexible in terms of who takes throw ins, whereas for example under Curbs and Powell I don't think a short thrown in was ever taken by someone other than the full back, even if the winger had the ball. To them, keeping the shape was key

Agree with most of this. KR wants us to play a fast game and keep the ball moving, whereas as you say shape was all important to Curbs and Powell.
    The one odd thing about dead balls, is that possibly our best kicker, Aribo, didn't take any Saturday. I seem to remember him last season being very accurate with corners and free kicks.
  • My personal favourite has always been Plan D.

Feel we should just ditch plans C & D and go straight to D. Plan D is fool proof.
  • I think both KR and the players struggle to adapt to a different style/formation. They only work on one formation pretty much all week AFAIK. But it shouldn't be beyond their ability. Even if it isn't a substitution then push a Clarke or similar into a front two.

Portsmouth just nullified our style and formation, wasn't difficult. The full backs had the better of Holmes and Marshall almost all day, if they were about to get the better they just hit them with a foul knowing full well their defence could easily cope with our aerial attack from crosses (or free kicks) into the box.

The only way we were going to get a goal was a striker running the line and splitting the defence and getting through on goal, that was never going to happen with just Bic Mac up front. If Clarke was tiring I'd have put KHG on with 25 minutes to go and played 442.

But we are all armchair experts, Karl knows best :wink:
  • was hoping this was about a new album he was releasing....ah well
  • Not playing at home with only one up front would help!
  • Sponsored links:

• Plan B get bought by Mega rich Charlton nut who loves the club. Spend £10 million in January to get us out of leauge one. SIMPLES.