Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

(Today) Let’s not forget the boycotters

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2017
    RedChaser said:

I did consider ending my boycott for today’s game and celebration but in the end decided to stick to my guns, sad as that is.

More importantly to me, I was there on our return, that was the big moment for me and while today would have been nice, it isn’t the same.

I agree with Redrobo, we probably all think the other is delusional for going/not going.

To all of you going enjoy the day and let’s hope we pick up 3 more points.

No sorry Martin disagree on the 'we probably ALL think the other is delusional' bit, I respect everyone's right to do as they see fit but I certainly wouldn't come on here digging out either set of fans irrespective of whether I'm anti or pro regime.

Edit; however I might post the odd gif to try and lighten the mood a tad :wink:
    I don’t think I was digging any one out @RedChaser , delusional was perhaps a poor choice of word, I simply meant we all have our reasons for going or not. Not casting any stones.
  • Options
    Detest the Belgian tossers but struggle to understand the boycott as it's the team and club I support not the owners, there are other ways to show your disdain, however each to their own.
  • Options
    Interesting that on a thread about fans staying away there is an advert for Aston Villa season tickets...
  • Options
    Today wasn't to be, I got a message while out with my dogs that someone had some free tickets. Unable to drive and the coaches having left I phoned around for a lift, with no joy I phone a cab I was quoted £120 but negociated it down to £75 only for the poxy thing to breakdown on route to my house. :(
  • Options
    The legends game was the one to call out boycotters if you're that way inclined. Seems it was the game people chose to boycott.
  • Options
    ssshhh! Pompfans here.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

ssshhh! Pompfans here.

Very charltable for putting him up tonight mate. That's exactly what makes us the fan base we are :wink:
  • Options
    @thickandthin63 I continued my boycott today, haven’t been to The Valley in 2 years - when Roland goes, I will end my boycott & I will buy you a ticket in the Seat next to me, we can have a little chat then
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    You kinda new that today would be a big let down, it’s typical Charlton ain’t it?

So not rubbing anyone’s nose in it and agree with @IdleHans about today’s players and very glad I didn’t relent and go today.
  • Options

Detest the Belgian tossers but struggle to understand the boycott as it's the team and club I support not the owners, there are other ways to show your disdain, however each to their own.

We have a team, (at the moment)we do not have a club.

Before you ask, I do not go anymore.
  • Options

I can't help noticing that fans who boycott ten not to criticise, let alone slate, those who still go. They have made their choice and appear content with it. However, there is a bitter minority who seem to be very angry that some fellow fans have decided to boycott. Somehow, they are no longer worthy irrespective of their pedigree supporting this club. Is it because they, too, subconciously would be happier elsewhere but can't break the habit of a lifetime? The divide is certainly far greater from their perspective, not the other way around @thickandignorant.

Bang on.

There is no right or wrong regards who goes and who does not.

I think we all agree Duchatelet and squirrel face are *****
  • Options
    IdleHans said:

I broke my boycott just for today. Reading this thread has caused me to ask myself why I went.
    In truth it's the nostalgia for the old Charlton, the prospect of celebrating those greatest of achievements, the things that made Charlton special, and one day will again.
    The introduction of some of those players today, from my favourite time supporting CAFC, emphasised just how much my affection for what this fine old club has become has waned. Now watching players I barely recognise nor have an affinity for, instead longing for a Robinson making another lung busting charge down the wing, Nelse not falling over in the box when he should, Sweaty Balmer clattering the ball and the oppo forward into the hoardings...
    The films and memories of the build up to reclaiming the valley had their effect, and rewatching the CARD 2016 advent calendar videos this week reinforced all that, as did the Curbs/Chrissy love-in on the Facebook stream.
    Today, for me, was all about nostalgia. But the game itself was prosaic and mundane, and I felt a huge sense of disconnection. I've never cared less about us losing.
    I won't be back until that stupid girl and her Puppetmaster have gone for good.

We'll be back in August, see you there.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

There’s no right or wrong here as others have stated. I would’ve hoped that many of the boycotters would’ve just come back for this one to pay thanks to all those that helped get us back to the valley and celebrate the 25 years, but the boycott in itself is also them saying thanks to all those that helped us get back there and celebrate the 25 years. By staying away I understand that they have supported the foundations this club was built on and won’t stand for the shower of shit we’ve had under RD & KM

No one has the right to tell anyone how they should be supporting the club. Whether you be one of the 43 who went to Swansea or one of the long term boycotters who won’t return until they’re gone. We’re all still equal fans

100%
  • Options

Also, all this supporting the team etc - I’d rather support the team from afar than line Roland’s pocket with my money - the fact Katrien came on to the pitch at half time shows that they think nothing of the fans who actually went today

Oh ffs, the height of taking the piss/antagonism.

Mel Baroni, I love you all the more.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Didn't go, have to admit it was hard not caving in but I have to stick by my decision to not go until he has sold the club. I just kept telling myself that I'll be there for the next anniversary and any milestone one that comes up in the future.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

Didn't go, have to admit it was hard not caving in but I have to stick by my decision to not go until he has sold the club. I just kept telling myself that I'll be there for the next anniversary and any milestone one that comes up in the future.

On balance, I'd say you did the right thing
  • Options
    Katriens appearance would have been thought about long and hard.
    The presentation really should have been at about 2.40. By having it at half time they new half the crowd would be having a fag in the bogs and the occasion would stop the rest from making a fuss.
    Importantly, she said nothing.
  • Options
    The team is the regime. Having broken boycott for the valley that is clear even more.

We have a team, (at the moment)we do not have a club.

Before you ask, I do not go anymore.
    Um? No

The team is the regime. The club is the fans and the valley.

Broke boycott to support the club and found the team is dross and the support of those that still go pathetic. Portsmouth fans bossed the valley today.
  • Options

To Micks 1950,1) I have never boycotted,although like everyone else,depression has set in at times,2) The team we have now deserves better,we have a good manager,which indicates a change of direction.3) I am going this afternoon to enjoy the day,and stress once again that the boycotters will not be of any concern to me,it is their choice,which they are entitled to make,but I cannot profess to understand why anyone would not wish to be there today.

after what I witnessed today I'm not sure the team does deserve better. And 'we have a good manager' is a matter for debate.

Btw, did you travel up on the Hastings coach?
  • Options
    Let's no forget who???
  • Options

The presentation really should have been at about 2.40. By having it at half time they new half the crowd would be having a fag in the bogs and the occasion would stop the rest from making a fuss.

Saying nothing makes a change, amazing she did not take the microphone to wish us all a merry christmas.
  • Options

Saying nothing makes a change, amazing she did not take the microphone to wish us all a merry christmas.
    I'm sure she would have been told not to. It wasn't long ago she was on the pitch with the mic at every opportunity.
    She knows she's as welcome at the Valley as Ebola.