Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Adam the peanut man.

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2017

My memories are he sold at Charlton and Millwall and walked round with a paper sack, the nuts were already bagged in small paper bags in the sack, and were Percy Daltons. He was called Polack ( therefore assume he was Polish) . An before anybody gets offended this was the 60s /70s and was not regarded as offensive back then. Poles in the UK then we're a rarity.

I’m highly Discustard by this remark
    Do you prefer the term creme anglaise
  • Options
    Used to buy from him regularly on the East terrace in the 60s. Did his price ever change from a tanner a bag? Can't recall if he was still going post-decimalisation!
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

I remember him from the early sixties. Guess he was around for at least 10 years.

Think he always wore a white coat, strange nobody mentioned that, or is my memory playing tricks.

You're right. The peanut man I remember always wore a white coat.

Interesting thread to fill in some detail on a small but integral memory of childhood Charlton.

Digressing a little have I made this up or was there an Old Boy with a brazier selling sweet chestnuts after matches around the same era?
    Yes I remember the chestnuts seller, Len
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

I remember him from the early sixties. Guess he was around for at least 10 years.

Think he always wore a white coat, strange nobody mentioned that, or is my memory playing tricks.

Interesting thread to fill in some detail on a small but integral memory of childhood Charlton.

Digressing a little have I made this up or was there an Old Boy with a brazier selling sweet chestnuts after matches around the same era?
    Yes and they smelt fanastic on a cold day/tuesday night.
  • Options
    What's a tanner...Is it something to selling leather handbags?
  • Options
    Solidgone said:

What's a tanner...Is it something to selling leather handbags?

Somebody who soaks cow hides in urine.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

There definitely was, I remember trying them for the first time at The Valley.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Yes, in Floyd Road.
  • Options
    What was amazing to me was catching the excursion bus after a Saturday game, and being able to read a report of the first half, and get all the other scores in the evening "pink" when I got off the bus in Forest Hill.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

i remember him from the 70s- I also remember the white coat.

• Options
    edited December 2017

I think he was there in the 50's, and all the years he done the peanuts were always a tanner a bag, so he's overheads could not have gone up much

It wouldn't have made sense to increase the price to, say, 61/2d or 7d as that would have required too much fiddling with change so he probably reduced the number in the bag.
  • Options
    Stig said:

I've searched the British Library's online archive and there's nothing (yet). If someone is in St Pancras though, it may be worth popping in and asking.

https://www.bl.uk/collection-guides/british-newspaper-archive

Nice one Stig......a positive suggestion but one I myself cannot follow up as I no longer live in the south.
    Anyone out there prepared to follow this up?
  • Options
    Just to reiterate......the article was ‘definitely’ in The Mercury.
  • Options
    It goes without saying for me

Memories with Dad on the east terrace with his ludicrous flask of sweet tea.

And there was a guy who would hound the Lino following him up the line to give some friendly advice including that of his wife's activities ( the Lino that is)

Late 60s early 70s.