Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Powelly and that Cardiff game

edited November 2017 in General Charlton
Was fascinating listening to him and Curbs talk tonight and if you can catch the Facebook recording then you won't be disappointed devoting an evening to watching.

One question was asked about 'most important team talks given', and SCP said about that Cardiff game. He basically said to Dyer when we were 2-0 down 'we are out a job', and you got the impression Jimenez had been putting a lot of pressure on and Varney / Kavanagh had been acting as a supportive foil, but he said how surreal it was as the crowd showed so much support it was if we were the ones winning 2-0.

Jacko pulled something back and he said he went into that half time knowing it was the most important team talk of his career. Every player took in every word he said, acted on the instructions and we pulled it round to win 5-4. And he highlighted that as one of his most pivotal moments

Was a really special night it was a pleasure to look back on now. Miss buzzing nights under the lights down The Valley like that so bad.

Hopefully we'll get them again soon

Comments

• Options
    Thats one of them games you always rememeber if you went
    5-2 up then 5-3 then 5-4 even though there wasnt long left u still wasnt sure(think they almost got an equaliser if i remember)
  • Options
    good memories, Karl that doesn’t mean we want to win 5-4 tonight a 3-0 demoltion job of Peterboro
  • Options
    It was 2-2 at halftime, we scored in injury time before the break. I know because I always did a ht/ft away/home bet and it didn’t come in.
  • Options
    Oh what a night.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This game will live long in the memory. The atmosphere was electric even when we were the two goals down but no one could say why at the time. I loved going to all the games with all my heart back then, I hope that feeling can return again soon.

BTW is there anything on Facebook of last night we can still watch or see? Or was it a live feed only?
  • Options
    Was the game I thought we were away so didnt take my Season Ticket to work with me

Thankfully I was able to arrange it so I could get the train to Abbey Wood instead of Bexleyheath... Pick up my ticket from my Mum who'd driven down to the station to meet me - I then got straight back on the train to Charlton and made the game with loads of time left... I would have hung myself had I not checked at lunchtime to see what other games were in the Championship else I'd have never known
  • Options
    Fantastic night, hope those days when everyone at the club are united return again, have my doubts at the moment.
  • Options
    Love Jacko to bits.
  • Options
    If anybody ever doubts that the fans can be the 12th man they should be made to sit and watch that game. A dreadful run without a win and we go 2-0 down to top of the table Cardiff. Curtains for SCP except the ground just seems to spontaneously get behind him in a similar way to the spurs game in the PL when the game was stopped for about 10 mins or so and the legend that is JJ takes his cue and leads the way for the rest to follow. When the goals then started flying in in the second half we were all looking at each other and asking what the fuck is happening here.
  • Options

Was the game I thought we were away so didnt take my Season Ticket to work with me

Thankfully I was able to arrange it so I could get the train to Abbey Wood instead of Bexleyheath... Pick up my ticket from my Mum who'd driven down to the station to meet me - I then got straight back on the train to Charlton and made the game with loads of time left... I would have hung myself had I not checked at lunchtime to see what other games were in the Championship else I'd have never known

Your match previews can't have been so informative back then! ;)
  • Options
    edited November 2017

Your match previews can't have been so informative back then! ;)
    Haha - I've actually realised I wasnt on CharltonLife at the time of the match

So was a time when this website was reputable before it allowed riff raff like me on board ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2017
    Deleted - seen the video link on the other thread.
  • Options
    Great game, had a season ticket then.
    Believe Dale Stephens and Danny Haynes both scored.
    Shows the ups and downs in football. One playing
    regularly in the Premiership, the other one playing
    for Cray Wanderers (used to be my local team)!
  • Options
    Obviously such nights are rare in football,at the moment the atmosphere at the Valley,is depressing,in spite of the great support those that attend create.For what it is worth my opinion is,that all you Roland Haters,should get of you arses and get down to the Valley,stop looking for excuses not to go,you wont change a thing by staying away.When Roland wants to go he will go.The team we have at the moment is running its nuts off in front of 10000 crowds and deserve better.Imagine what it would do for these guys if they could play in front of 15000,that could be the difference between going up or not.I am a supporter of over 60 years,and I just do not understand how supposed true supporters can desert the club on principle.
  • Options
    edited November 2017

For those that want to kill a bit of time with Nostalgia, below is one of the greatest Match Threads on here, and Post Match Thread etc

http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/51452/charlton-vs-cardiff-teams-match-thread/p1

I'm having a read through now... Is making me smile reading when it went 2-0 as think we all thought it would be a long night at the time

Whats brilliant is the run that we went on... after this game

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012%E2%80%9313_Charlton_Athletic_F.C._season#Championship
  • Options
    I have to say that the Cardiff game was the last time I went to an evening match and came away exhilarated. In the last decade much of the midweek stuff I've been to has been drab, disappointing or nondescript. This was a rare exception.

Hoping for better tonight....