Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Incident At Oxford Circus

Comments

• Options

I really want to show him the 'no evidence of gunshots' tweet and see what he says. But I'm scared he will punch me so I fear I will miss out on seeing his face when he realises we all know he is chatting shit.

Going back to something he said earlier, recognizing gunfire out of context, let alone semi-automatic fire--knowing the type of weapon, can be really difficult even for those trained with, or used to, firearms. Hope he's wrong for many reasons but to me that detail stands out given that unless he's a Veteran he's unlikely to be able to distinguish the type of gun being used.
  • Options
    Only takes one person to panic and run from platform shouting that someone is firing, and all those nearby who heard a noise will believe it and do the same. Probably something like an eCigarette going off in someone’s pocket.
  • Options
    Might have been a 'prank'
  • Options
    I was on the Central Line about 5.10 and saw the news then. First tweet I read about that time was from an eyewitness who said it was a gang fight. Went for a beer at London Bridge and my mate was late as he was locked in his workplace near the area. He said people were shaking and when asked “what did you see?”, the answer was nothing.

• Options

Only takes one person to panic and run from platform shouting that someone is firing, and all those nearby who heard a noise will believe it and do the same. Probably something like an eCigarette going off in someone’s pocket.

Yes, the panic on Oxford Street was very much based on what people heard other people say, rather than social media related as most people were too busy running to check their phones until they's got a safe distance away from Oxford Streetnanyway
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited November 2017
    Meanwhile in Egypt 235 killed by anti humane Daesh death cult whilst they pray by people who believe they are more religious than anyone else. I guess people are jumpy because there is so much illogical madness in the world.
  • Options

Guy in front of me on the train claiming he was there and heard shots. Said 'terrorist attack on oxford circusstation' 'most likely it was semi-automatic weapons' and 'a bunch of gunmen decided to take Oxford circus station'.

He also claims to have been the one who alerted security at all the surrounding buildings and told then all to go onto lock down.

Something doesn't quite add up as he didn't get inside a building and continued with his journey. He was at Victoria a matter of minutes later though he was out of breath. Not sure what to believe. He does strike me as a bit of a bullshitter so I reckon there is at least an element of exaggeration.

Olly Murs was on your train?
  • Options
    I work in Selfridges & was right by the cleaning helpdesk when one of their operatives radio'd to say shots had been fired on the ground floor & you could hear shouting & screaming. I phoned security & they told me to call all engineers to the office & stay there. 5 minutes later security were coming round telling everyone to get out, when I asked which exit they said "the nearest" Out on the street there was absolute chaos thousands were wandering around, untold police cars/vans but not one policeman directing anything. If there was a problem we could have been walking towards it, terribly difficult for the old bill of course but surely we should have had some guidance. Good to know everyone ok. Definitely not a hoax, more a genuine mistake, certainly where I was anyway.
  • Options

I work in Selfridges & was right by the cleaning helpdesk when one of their operatives radio'd to say shots had been fired on the ground floor & you could hear shouting & screaming. I phoned security & they told me to call all engineers to the office & stay there. 5 minutes later security were coming round telling everyone to get out, when I asked which exit they said "the nearest" Out on the street there was absolute chaos thousands were wandering around, untold police cars/vans but not one policeman directing anything. If there was a problem we could have been walking towards it, terribly difficult for the old bill of course but surely we should have had some guidance. Good to know everyone ok. Definitely not a hoax, more a genuine mistake, certainly where I was anyway.

I think shops at that time weren't sure whether to keep people in or let them go. A bit later I think the instructions were to stay inside
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I think shops at that time weren't sure whether to keep people in or let them go. A bit later I think the instructions were to stay inside
    No initially we were told to stay in our office & it was later we were told to evacuate
  • Options

No initially we were told to stay in our office & it was later we were told to evacuate
    & in a store like Selfridges our security are in constant touch with the police to the extent that police are often eating in the contract staffs canteen. We would of taken guidance from the police
  • Options
    Yes heard radio news say a gang fight involving a dozen or more people started the panic.
  • Options

Yes heard radio news say a gang fight involving a dozen or more people started the panic.

That's basically one bloke knocking another on the platform, the other chirping back and they start scrapping
  • Options
    Has Donald Trump blamed it on Muslims yet?
  • Options
    vff said:

Reports on Twitter, suggesting it started from a fight on the platform at Oxford Circus tube that escalated into mass panic. A fevered Black Friday sales & start of Christmas shopping frenzy didn’t help. On a positive note nothing actually happened & no one was hurt. Also, it allows the emergency services to test out & fine tune emergency protocols/response & that’s a good thing. Oxford St Shops can also get to consider advice & responses.

Unfortunately not true.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42117311

Sixteen people were treated after they were injured fleeing the station.

One patient was transferred to a major trauma centre for leg injuries, while eight people were taken to central London hospitals for minor injuries.

A further seven patients were treated at the scene.

The London Ambulance Service said the injuries were sustained as passengers fled from Oxford Circus station, in what witnesses said was "a stampede".

• Options
    Scoham said:

vff said:

Reports on Twitter, suggesting it started from a fight on the platform at Oxford Circus tube that escalated into mass panic. A fevered Black Friday sales & start of Christmas shopping frenzy didn’t help. On a positive note nothing actually happened & no one was hurt. Also, it allows the emergency services to test out & fine tune emergency protocols/response & that’s a good thing. Oxford St Shops can also get to consider advice & responses.

Unfortunately not true.

One patient was transferred to a major trauma centre for leg injuries, while eight people were taken to central London hospitals for minor injuries.

The London Ambulance Service said the injuries were sustained as passengers fled from Oxford Circus station, in what witnesses said was "a stampede".

There was panic all over the area, very easy for people to trip, get crushed etc
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited November 2017
    Scoham said:

vff said:

Unfortunately not true.

Sorry to hear that. I hope no one was seriously hurt.

This Black Friday sales thing is not a good idea IMO. Online deals I can see the benefit but the frenzy generated in shops is irresponsible.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

No, he blamed it on Millwall!
  • Options

Sounds like a 'bit' of a punch up.

This is what an eyewitness said on R5L.
  • Options
    vff said:

Scoham said:

vff said:

Unfortunately not true.

Sorry to hear that. I hope no one was seriously hurt.

This Black Friday sales thing is not a good idea IMO
    . Online deals I can see the benefit but the frenzy generated in shops is irresponsible.
    Agreed. Lakeside was at complete gridlock last night by all accounts with many people unable to get out until midnight.
    No sympathy for the deal mad bargain hunters but I should think if you work there it's a bit of an inconvenience.

• Options

You've beat him to it mate
  • Options
    Worrying stuff. My wife was in a tube recently and someone noticed a bit of smoke. What followed was an 'every man for himself' type stampede, with people being knocked over and shoved or off the way in the panic. I don't want to judge too harshly because I wasn't there, but the climate of fear seems to be eroding any sense of community spirit.
  • Options
    Uboat said:

Worrying stuff. My wife was in a tube recently and someone noticed a bit of smoke. What followed was an 'every man for himself' type stampede, with people being knocked over and shoved or off the way in the panic. I don't want to judge too harshly because I wasn't there, but the climate of fear seems to be eroding any sense of community spirit.

The same fear didn't erode Londoner's community spirit during the Blitz, in fact it enhanced it from what I've bwen told by folk who were there.
  • Options

Uboat said:

The same fear didn't erode Londoner's community spirit during the Blitz, in fact it enhanced it from what I've bwen told by folk who were there.
    I think the jury is out on that one.
  • Options
    I was locked into a building during the 'incident'.
    The security guard and management dealt with the situation in a calm and efficient manner. Obviously well trained.
  • Options

Uboat said:

A bit different when the threat is from above, when compared to the thought of a mad gunman roaming the tube/streets, which is what people were fleeing