Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

November Budget

Just putting this here so it doesn't encroach on all the arguments on the Brexit thread. If anyone wants to talk about it feel free

Comments

• Growth cup from 2% to 1.5%. Not sure if that was already expected. Doesn't sound great
  • McBobbin said:

Growth cup from 2% to 1.5%. Not sure if that was already expected. Doesn't sound great

As long as they don't mess with the furry cup.
  • Scrapped 1st time buyer stamp duty 2 months after i buy my first place. Good idea, shit timing.
  • Selling my current flat in the new year which is ideal for a FTB so the stamp duty announcement is good news for me as it should encourage some more buyers into the market.

Concerned about the growth predictions though.
  • Thank fuck they dropped the vat threshold drop, absolutely ridiculous thing to do when the likes of Facebook still don’t pay tax
  • Very bland an a non-budget to me. No changes to any real taxes (income tax rates, IHT, pension etc) and the ones he did (personal allowance & higher rate thresholds) were in line with inflation & as per previous announcements. Headlines will be for Stamp duty abolished for FTB but for the man in the street no real change.

Unless I missed something (or he turned 2 pages over at once ala Mugabe) there was no changes to pensions (tax relief, Lifetime & Annual allowance) which was one of the expected ways he was going to raise money.
  • edited November 2017

Thank fuck they dropped the vat threshold drop, absolutely ridiculous thing to do when the likes of Facebook still don’t pay tax

Very bland an a non-budget to me. No changes to any real taxes (income tax rates, IHT, pension etc) and the ones he did (personal allowance & higher rate thresholds) were in line with inflation & as per previous announcements. Headlines will be for Stamp duty abolished for FTB but for the man in the street no real change.

Unless I missed something (or he turned 2 pages over at once ala Mugabe) there was no changes to pensions (tax relief, Lifetime & Annual allowance) which was one of the expected ways he was going to raise money.

I assume both were the classic tactics of "putting rumours about really unpopular changes out" so that when they don't happen everyone is happy with the lack of content in the budget!
  • Bit of a nothing affair to be honest wasn't it.
  • Does the stamp duty change take effect immediately ?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2017
    se9addick said:

Does the stamp duty change take effect immediately ?

Yes, it is immediate, just read...
  • Pedro45 said:

se9addick said:

Does the stamp duty change take effect immediately ?

Most of this is due to come in next April I believe...
    That's what I thought but on further research since I asked the question it looks like this change actually applies from today!
  • Help for businesses that are trying to scale up could hold great news for small business owners well worth investigating that part alone
  • He didn't do the excepted are students over even more for an additional 20 years so that's a winner...
  • Sponsored links:

• wonder what growth would be if they cancelled Brexit..

(see what I did there?)
  • Yup, the stamp duty thing is more of an attempt to give life support to a market that’s in danger of bursting whilst looking like you’re helping the young. Once the housing market goes it’ll send us into another pretty deep recession.
  • razil said:

wonder what growth would be if they cancelled Brexit..

(see what I did there?)

Well i would certainly get about an extra 4 inches
  • He didn't do the excepted are students over even more for an additional 20 years so that's a winner...

9 grand a year for that !!!
  • se9addick said:

He didn't do the excepted are students over even more for an additional 20 years so that's a winner...

Huh ?

He didn't do the excepted are students over even more for an additional 20 years so that's a winner...

liquid lunch ??
    I meant to say screw students over for an additional 20 years.

It was widely rumoured that the repayment period for posts 2012 system of graduate tax, sorry student loans was to be extended from 30 years to 50.

I know this was internally costed by DFE. Im bloody glad they didn't do it.
  • se9addick said:

Huh ?

liquid lunch ??
    I meant to say screw students over for an additional 20 years.

It was widely rumoured that the repayment period for posts 2012 system of graduate tax, sorry student loans was to be extended from 30 years to 50.

I know this was internally costed by DFE. Im bloody glad they didn't do it.
    Bloody students, sitting around all day watching Blockbusters and eating pot noodles.
  • Thank goodness they have addressed the time bomb of Social care.
  • Years of austerity for tax cuts for their billionaire funders and kin and growth collapses. Who'd a thought it!