Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Help wanted - Windows Photo Editor

I have looked this up on Google and there is no apparent answer to it there, at all.

When I try to fix red eye in photo editor, it ends up putting a blue circle around the eyes - see attached.

Anyone any idea how to prevent this? In the previous incarnation of photo editor it worked absolutely fine.

Any help gratefully received.

Comments

• Options
    Get yourself a free Gimp download.
  • Options
    PC runs through Brother-in-law's company server, I don't want to download anything Stig, but thanks for the suggestion.
  • Options
    Or google "gimp" I'd imagine

• Options
    Good point well made Dave...
  • Options
    Surely Frank Skinner can just send you another photo without red eye?
  • Options
    Funny enough Rob is from the West Midlands...
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    You're not alone, I've just tried & the same happened to me but I have no answer to your problem sorry.
    Do you copy your original & process the copy ? I was talking to a professional at Sony World Photography awards this year & he told me that Windows Photo Editor is one of the worst processors out there & will ruin your photos. I assume that if you're using WPE you're shooting in jpeg, I also read recently that if you just rotate a jpeg pic you destroy pixels & I think that that is what the pro was getting at, doesn't sound good does it ? :smile: I'm still using WPE but only on copies but I've just bought Lightroom 6 (& the bastards have just announced that they're not going to support or update this & you'll need to pay a monthly fee for as long as you want it although you can still buy it for a one off £100 approx) & I also downloaded DxO OpticsPro 11 free but i think that was a gift from a mag & is normally 80/90 quid. I don't know your reasons for using WPE but mine was because it was there & I was terrified of more "complicated" processing software. I've since found lightroom etc is pretty easy to use for basic stuff & you can do so much more than on WPE & there are so many tutorials on you tube it really isn't that bad at all. I apologise if i'm jumping to the wrong conclusion but if you do feel the same as I did & you would like to do more on the processing it's not that frightening at all once you get into it. Just go on you tube & watch some videos.
  • Options
    To be fair, it seems to have fixed the red eye
  • Options
    Adobe are one of those awful companies that corner the market and then take the piss. Their products are good but boy do they know it. I'm on Lightroom 5 that's great, but unsupported. I refuse to get succered into subscription services though. When that keels over I'll be using something else.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hmm just tried again, clicked on redeye drew a square around the eye & it turned it black, try again Algarve
  • Options
    Looks like a Tory party after-conference show....
    ;-)
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    I understand why you'd not want to download software in the circs. GIMP is fine although it does take a while (well for me anyway, to get to grips with).
    An alternative for your simple(ish) requirements might be to set up an account with a photo printing company like Snapfish, upload your photos and use their (fairly rudimentary) editing tools.
  • Options
    With all due respect if that is how you and your wife are going to apply eye makeup I'd not bother if I were you!
  • Options
    Stig said:

Adobe are one of those awful companies that corner the market and then take the piss. Their products are good but boy do they know it. I'm on Lightroom 5 that's great, but unsupported. I refuse to get succered into subscription services though. When that keels over I'll be using something else.

Absolutely Stig, as per my post above I bought Lightroom 6 as didn't want to pay what ever it is they want a month for ever more & then they announce they won't be supporting it for much longer & it isn't that old is it ? As mentioned above I downloaded DxO OpticsPro 11 free through a magazine & there's two levels that you can get & the company are making big claims about the software but I haven't used it much yet so couldn't comment but might be worth looking into
  • Options
    Try this free online tool https://pixlr.com/ upload your picture using the online editor and there's a red eye reduction tool on the left of the image
  • Options
    Thanks for all your replies gang. I am not downloading anything for reasons stated. It is not as if I am a serious photographer, I would just like to get rid of red eye on my "snaps". Seems like I will just have to live with it. Thanks again. :+1:
  • Options

Thanks for all your replies gang. I am not downloading anything for reasons stated. It is not as if I am a serious photographer, I would just like to get rid of red eye on my "snaps". Seems like I will just have to live with it. Thanks again. :+1:

Sorry didn't see your post re "not downloading* but do try again with WindowsPE, as i said I tried & had the same result as you but went back later & it worked :smile:

Also do click on "make a copy" if you wanted to make changes & process the copy thus keeping the original .... erm original. If you haven't used the other controls you should, you will be amazed what a difference it can make to your photos. Lift the shadows it will bring out so much detail on a dark photo, lower the highlights to enhance the sky. Just experiment it can be a lot of fun & can make such a difference.
  • Options

Sorry didn't see your post re "not downloading* but do try again with WindowsPE, as i said I tried & had the same result as you but went back later & it worked :smile:

Also do click on "make a copy" if you wanted to make changes & process the copy thus keeping the original .... erm original. If you haven't used the other controls you should, you will be amazed what a difference it can make to your photos. Lift the shadows it will bring out so much detail on a dark photo, lower the highlights to enhance the sky. Just experiment it can be a lot of fun & can make such a difference.
    I do that Bob, and sometimes, when I use red eye filter, it works after a few tries, but most of the time I get the blue. Very annoying when you have three pairs of eyes to do and you can sort out the first five but not the last one... Thanks for your kind advice.
  • Options
    edited November 2017

Stig said:

Absolutely Stig, as per my post above I bought Lightroom 6 as didn't want to pay what ever it is they want a month for ever more & then they announce they won't be supporting it for much longer & it isn't that old is it ? As mentioned above I downloaded DxO OpticsPro 11 free through a magazine & there's two levels that you can get & the company are making big claims about the software but I haven't used it much yet so couldn't comment but might be worth looking into
    Adobe don’t really provide ‘support’ though do they? If things go wrong, they don’t help you, you mainly get information via the forums.

It’s true they won’t support any new camera models they come out with Lightroom 6 but if you aren’t changing your camera it should keep on working just fine, shouldn’t it?

Edit: and if you do get a new Camera and shoot RAW you can use their free DNG Converter I think.