Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ben Reeves

I'm not one to be overly critical of our players if they put in a genuine shift but I am struggling to understand the purpose of Ben Reeves.

The best I can say at present is that he is a (very) poor man's Billy Clarke but that seems unfair on Billy whom I've liked since his arrival.

Can someone knowledgeable like @Tutt-Tutt or @ColinTat for example please educate me and, from reading recent post match views threads, others too?

Comments

• Did seem very lightweight last night... Felt he was a Midfield version of Simon Church; did a lot of running around but has a spongefoot when he tried to tackle as was either brushed off by the Rochdale player or he bounced off them.

Am sure there is more to come from him as he's shown that he can finish (I know it was only against Truro etc.)

Really think he'd be doing better had he not pissed around over Pre-Season
  • edited November 2017
    I think he got crowded out quite a lot last night, as did a few of our players in the final third - but not quite as badly as he did.

The difference between him and Clarke does seem to be that Clarke has settled straight into that 'number 10' role and Reeves just runs around like a lunatic in that vague area.

Clarke seems to know what he's doing when he gets on the ball, moves it quickly and plays with purpose whereas Reeves does the opposite. Technically they look similar. Am hoping that Reeves will be a better played once settled into the side, but it's taking a while.

As mentioned by @ForeverAddickted, I'm sure that being fit at the beginning of the season with a full pre-season fixture list under his belt has helped Clarke to slot in as quickly and well as he has - something Reeves didn't have for one reason or another.
  • edited November 2017
    LenGlover said:

I'm not one to be overly critical of our players if they put in a genuine shift but I am struggling to understand the purpose of Ben Reeves.

The best I can say at present is that he is a (very) poor man's Billy Clarke but that seems unfair on Billy whom I've liked since his arrival.

Can someone knowledgeable like @Tutt-Tutt or @ColinTat for example please educate me and, from reading recent post match views threads, others too?

Reeves is a much better finisher than Clarke. He's clearly rated by other clubs because they've spent a lot of time fouling him in the last two games. Clarke started the season really well (I like him...he can play) but he's looked a bit lightweight too in his last couple of games (maybe playing with injury). I think Saturday was the first time Reeves had played any sort of decent time with Magennis, so it may take a while.

If we can work the play so Reeves can get the ball on the edge of the box, then I think we'll see the best of him. He's got four goals already from those sort of situations. He also sees a killer ball in those areas but maybe needs a more nimble forward in front of him to take advantage?
  • The problem is he was very hyped up by Robinson so we all expect a lot better. Robinson knows him better than anyone so we have to trust him. Few more games and bit more fitness I’m sure we will see the talent Robinson has seen in the past
  • Is he now injured / playing through injury?
  • Fouling him is possibly a overstatement, he looked for a foul every time and goes down far too easy for me.
  • I personally think he has been good so far, was average last night but got kicked up in the air about 5 times in the first 10, seemed like a plan from Rochdale to me
  • Looks pony to me
  • The couple of times I’ve seen him play against us for MK Dons he has run the show and looked a class act.

I don’t think he is fully fit or at the very least not match fit.

Not helped by playing against teams who are very much anti-football and looking to spoil their way to a result. He is clearly a number 10 and again I don’t think we are playing to his strengths by rotating him across the front 3.

Expect him to prove a valuable signing and to push on in the nee year. He will score a fair amount of goals too. His finishing is excellent.
  • Is he now injured / playing through injury?

Had a tight hamstring, and doubtful for Saturday
  • Sponsored links:

• I personally think he has been good so far, was average last night but got kicked up in the air about 5 times in the first 10, seemed like a plan from Rochdale to me

I think that applied to most of the team TBH. First ten Rochdale were averaging a foul about every 90 seconds (They calmed down a bit in the second half but I just checked BBC stats and over the whole game Rochdale fouled every 234 seconds. Given the disruption and the amount of time spent on the 'this is definitely, definitely your last warning before a card' talks by the ref, I reckon we were lucky to see 45 minutes 'play' last night)
  • CatAddick said:

I personally think he has been good so far, was average last night but got kicked up in the air about 5 times in the first 10, seemed like a plan from Rochdale to me

I think that applied to most of the team TBH. First ten Rochdale were averaging a foul about every 90 seconds (They calmed down a bit in the second half but I just checked BBC stats and over the whole game Rochdale fouled every 234 seconds. Given the disruption and the amount of time spent on the 'this is definitely, definitely your last warning before a card' talks by the ref, I reckon we were lucky to see 45 minutes 'play' last night)
    Perhaps Rochdale had also invited Sam Allardyce in for a day's coaching - how to reduce each game from 90 minutes to 60 ?
  • was holding out for a better club before he signed for us, robinson admitted this at city addicks, lower spanish la liga sides apparently. so even more of a reason to keep yourself fit.
  • For me, the jury is still out.
  • edited November 2017
    I've said it before (many times) and I'll say it again. He did himself no favours (in terms of fitness & to endear him to us fans) by basically sitting out the summer, not having a proper preseason & dicking everybody about. Because of that he has made things doubly difficult; 1) that he still appears not to be fit (or is just uninterested & doesn't really want to be here), lightweight and therefore not very effective and 2) by sticking all our hopes on him we missed out on another player (a striker perhaps ?) which is now really coming home to roost.

I don't blame him entirely, but shared 50/50 with KR as he made the decision to wait for him & not give a deadline & then move on.
  • He played two or three great balls last night but didn’t get involved. It takes tome to settle at a new club and he will come good
  • I think he got crowded out quite a lot last night, as did a few of our players in the final third - but not quite as badly as he did.

The difference between him and Clarke does seem to be that Clarke has settled straight into that 'number 10' role and Reeves just runs around like a lunatic in that vague area.

Clarke seems to know what he's doing when he gets on the ball, moves it quickly and plays with purpose whereas Reeves does the opposite. Technically they look similar. Am hoping that Reeves will be a better played once settled into the side, but it's taking a while.

As mentioned by @ForeverAddickted, I'm sure that being fit at the beginning of the season with a full pre-season fixture list under his belt has helped Clarke to slot in as quickly and well as he has - something Reeves didn't have for one reason or another.

Agree with this. He seemed to be targeted quite a bit with 2 Rochdale players going into the tackle on him. MK did a similar thing. That should free up space for others, and draw fouls in dangerous areas of the pitch. I think in the last 2 games the ref's have let far too much go in terms of cynical fouls when our players have run into space, particularly Reeves and Holmes. If they had been carded earlier would have put a stop to that.
  • I never have expectations of players, prefer to see what they can do for myself. However, if I did, Clarke would have exceeded them, but Reeves would not have lived up to them. On what I've seen so far, not impressed at all.
  • was holding out for a better club before he signed for us, robinson admitted this at city addicks, lower spanish la liga sides apparently. so even more of a reason to keep yourself fit.

we should have kept him hanging on till deadline day then told him to do one

• Sponsored links:

we should have kept him hanging on till deadline day then told him to do one

He was a free agent so could sign for a club outside of the window...
  • Big fan of Clarke's and Saturday was the first time I've seen Reeves play. Thought he did well without being outstanding. Looked busy, saw plenty of the ball and we were noticeably worse at holding onto and using the ball after he went off.
  • Reeves is clearly not fit and needs time and patience to bed in. So many people are quick to jump onto a player if they are not playing well when they first join us.

We are watching league one football, 80% of the players smash it up other players. Reeves need protection and will in my opinion come good.

He is a Charlton player after all, what went on in the summer is behind him.

Lets hope he is in the running for POTY.
  • robroy said:

Reeves is clearly not fit and needs time and patience to bed in. So many people are quick to jump onto a player if they are not playing well when they first join us.

We are watching league one football, 80% of the players smash it up other players. Reeves need protection and will in my opinion come good.

Haven't laughed so much in years. In the POTY stakes he is likely to be at the back of the queue alongside KAG. Currently the top 5 (imo) are: Marshall, Fosu, Da Silva, Sarr, JFC.
  • robroy said:

Reeves is clearly not fit and needs time and patience to bed in. So many people are quick to jump onto a player if they are not playing well when they first join us.

Haven't laughed so much in years. In the POTY stakes he is likely to be at the back of the queue alongside KAG. Currently the top 5 (imo) are: Marshall, Fosu, Da Silva, Sarr, JFC.
    I assume that what robroy meant is that by the end of the season he is playing so well he could be POTY
  • robroy said:

• robroy said:

Marshall? - He's barely played, you'd surely have to have Amos ahead of him at the moment

Nor have you mentioned Ricky Holmes
  • robroy said:

Marshall? - He's barely played, you'd surely have to have Amos ahead of him at the moment

He must have meant Holmes - the "other winger", I guess...
  • PaddyP17 said:

robroy said:

Holmes has been poor for the last few games. Still a good player but nowhere near the standard of last season. Maybe he has a knock or trouble at home - his free-kicks have not found the intended target (either goal or a player) and his corners have been just as bad.
  • PaddyP17 said:

robroy said:

Holmes has been poor for the last few games. Still a good player but nowhere near the standard of last season. Maybe he has a knock or trouble at home - his free-kicks have not found the intended target (either goal or a player) and his corners have been just as bad.
    Best player in our squad by a distance.