Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

British footballers playing abroad

Comments

• Vincenzo said:
    Stephy Mavididi came on for Juventus today. Amazed he's good enough for that level.
    Says it all about the level of the other top divisions in Europe
    I'm not sure it does. You reckon the Charlton team Mav played in would have seen off Udinese?

It might be that Mav's skill set and build can flourish a bit more in Continental football, but not because it's a lower level, I'd contend 
  • Meanwhile I was checking up on Jamie Lawrence, whom I think I mentioned  before. His proud Dad is Steve, the architect whom I worked with on the Olympic Stadium debacle (he worked on the original plans for the stadium and is well pissed off with what happened). His son was at Ajax when aged 17-19.  He was the first British player in Slovakia. He now plays for Anderlecht, but also got his first call up for Wales in November.

Mind you his Wiki has a bit of a back-hnaded compliment about his success in his first season at Anderlecht : 

On 16 April 2019 he won the "Golden Steer" award for the best car driver of the club.

• Jack Harper has just signed a pre contract agreement with Getafe (currently with Malaga) 
  • edited July 2019
    Aaron Ramsey signing for Juventus and Kieran Trippier for Atletico Madrid - two big moves for them and definitely feels like more British players are trying their luck abroad these days.
  • Can only be a good thing, It would be nice if they didn't have to and the likes of Chelsea/ City/ Arsenal would give their youngsters more of a chance, but it just doesn't work like that so better to go abroad to Germany, or somewhere more technical.
  • Nick Blackman who we were linked with earlier in the summer (although not sure how true the interest actually was on our part), has signed a permanent deal for Maccabi Tel Aviv.
  • Chris Smalling looks to be joining Roma on loan.
  • I always like keeping an eye on English players who are playing abroad and although there aren't many well known players doing it at the moment there are loads in general as this website has them all. Wonder if anyone on here recognises any names or if there are any Charlton connections. 

https://us.soccerway.com/players/players_abroad/england/
  • I always like keeping an eye on English players who are playing abroad and although there aren't many well known players doing it at the moment there are loads in general as this website has them all. Wonder if anyone on here recognises any names or if there are any Charlton connections. 

Dillon Phillips 
  • Sponsored links:

I like that the only Brit playing in Brazil has gone local having just the one name whilst also staying British - "Eric".

Could become Ericinho in due course I suppose.

Andre Green plays Slovakia for Slovan Bratislava.
  • Dele Ali is going to Besiktas.
  • Dele Ali is going to Besiktas.
    Why what happened? 
  • shine166 said:
    Dele Ali is going to Besiktas.
    Why what happened? 
    His career has fallen to pieces.

Lee Buchanan got himself out of his Derby contract when they were going bust and signed for Werder Bremen. He scored against Dortmund last weekend.
  • With Kane and Bellingham scoring for fun for two of the biggest clubs outside of the UK, has there ever been a time like this when two or more players were having success with such big overseas clubs? Not a fan of either Bayern Munich or Real Madrid but it's great to see both players doing so well for their new teams.
  • With Kane and Bellingham scoring for fun for two of the biggest clubs outside of the UK, has there ever been a time like this when two or more players were having success with such big overseas clubs? Not a fan of either Bayern Munich or Real Madrid but it's great to see both players doing so well for their new teams.
    Beckham and Owen both played for Madrid during their Galactico's era.

David Platt and Gazza were both in Serie A in the early 90s.

Hoddle and Hateley both played for Monaco under Arsene Wenger in the 80s.
  • The last two are good examples but Owen had a poor time here in Madrid and didn't play much or have a good time by all accounts. The others all did well but I still can't think of a time when two players were doing so well for clubs as big as Bayern or Real.
  • The last two are good examples but Owen had a poor time here in Madrid and didn't play much or have a good time by all accounts. The others all did well but I still can't think of a time when two players were doing so well for clubs as big as Bayern or Real.
    Ironically for the same 2 clubs, when Beckham was at Madrid and Hargreaves at Bayern, when he had a period when he wasn't injured
  • Sponsored links:

• Great example with Hargreaves - he did really well.
    Beckham and Owen both played for Madrid during their Galactico's era.

David Platt and Gazza were both in Serie A in the early 90s.

Hoddle and Hateley both played for Monaco under Arsene Wenger in the 80s.
    Souness, Trevor Francis and Liam Brady out in Italy.
    I think Owen did better than a lot of people realise that season. He scored 16 goals but only started 26 games. And he was competing for a spot with Raul (club legend) and Brazilian Ronaldo (one of the best strikers ever) so it was always going to be tough for him.
  • I don't think anyone, even Owen himself, would regard his time at Real Madrid to have been successful to be honest. He never settled in and didn't get a lot of time on the pitch at all. But yes, I suppose the goals to games ratio is decent. I just don't think his time here is really comparable to the impact Bellingham and Kane have already made though.
  • Great example with Hargreaves - he did really well.
    Not sure Hargreaves entirely counts, seeing that he never lived in England before being called up for England!

Both Bale and McManaman won plenty of trophies at Real
  • Cunningham, Archibald, Hughes, Woodcock 
  • Woodgate 
  • The Gazetta era had Gascoigne, David Platt, Des Walker, Paul Ince all smashing it especially David Platt 

Before that Ray Wilkins, Mark Hateley in Italy 

Chris Waddle and Glenn Hoddle in southern France and I'm sure Gary or Trevor Steven was out there too 

Steve Mcmanaman is still a hero in Madrid and I distinctly remember working in Scotland watching him absolutely tear it up in the European Cup final for Real. Beckham was a class act out there, Chris Smalling is doing really well in Italy and the two mentioned. Harry Kane in Germany hitting the ground running and Jude Bellingham calmly making his claim as the best footballer in the world at age 20. 

English players have a lot to give, the language I think is a barrier but I would love more English players to roll the dice and play abroad 
  • edited September 2023
    Carter said:
    The Gazetta era had Gascoigne, David Platt, Des Walker, Paul Ince all smashing it especially David Platt 

Before that Ray Wilkins, Mark Hateley in Italy 

Chris Waddle and Glenn Hoddle in southern France and I'm sure Gary or Trevor Steven was out there too 

Steve Mcmanaman is still a hero in Madrid and I distinctly remember working in Scotland watching him absolutely tear it up in the European Cup final for Real. Beckham was a class act out there, Chris Smalling is doing really well in Italy and the two mentioned. Harry Kane in Germany hitting the ground running and Jude Bellingham calmly making his claim as the best footballer in the world at age 20. 

English players have a lot to give, the language I think is a barrier but I would love more English players to roll the dice and play abroad 
    He certainly was - only for one season though.  Agree with your last point -  more should do it. 
  • I would generally want Bayern Munich and Real Madrid to lose games, but I really want both Kane and Bellingham to be big successes at their new clubs, so I’ve softened a little to those teams getting positive results - as long as the English boys have an influence!