Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

xBox Live Gold membership

My son twisted my arm to allow him a free trial of this last month and now Microsoft have taken £5.99 out of my PayPal Account. Ignoring the fact that the console was £350 and the games are £50 each it would seem that to play online I have to pay an extra £72 a year.

I've seen twelve month subscriptions for £35 but don't know if they are a con. Does anyone on here buy a year at a time and if so can you recommend a retailer that won't end up taking my money for nothing?

Thanks

Comments

• You can buy the year through the xbox itself for 35.99 i believe. Never pay monthly. You can buy from someone like game for roughly the same price
  • i buy 12 months from cdkeys.com,you buy the item then they will send you a code to type in on the xbox,go to the marketplace then the store and use a code to type the code in.When you have done this check your xbox live profile because he may have signed up to a different service such as EA access.If you go to my profile then subscriptions all that should show after is the 12 months that you have brought.If you dont trust this website you can buy 12 months from xbox live on your console for £39.99

use this link:https://www.cdkeys.com/xbox-live/memberships/12-month-xbox-live-gold-membership-xbox-one-360
  • i buy 12 months from cdkeys.com,you buy the item then they will send you a code to type in on the xbox,go to the marketplace then the store and use a code to type the code in.When you have done this check your xbox live profile because he may have signed up to a different service such as EA access.If you go to my profile then subscriptions all that should show after is the 12 months that you have brought.If you dont trust this website you can buy 12 months from xbox live on your console for £39.99

use this link:https://www.cdkeys.com/xbox-live/memberships/12-month-xbox-live-gold-membership-xbox-one-360

Thanks, I had found cdkeys but I didn't want to use them without someone recommending them.
  • edited October 2017
    i use them all the time they are very good

i buy 12 months from cdkeys.com,you buy the item then they will send you a code to type in on the xbox,go to the marketplace then the store and use a code to type the code in.When you have done this check your xbox live profile because he may have signed up to a different service such as EA access.If you go to my profile then subscriptions all that should show after is the 12 months that you have brought.If you dont trust this website you can buy 12 months from xbox live on your console for £39.99

Thanks, I had found cdkeys but I didn't want to use them without someone recommending them.
  • edited October 2017

i use them all the time they are very good

i buy 12 months from cdkeys.com,you buy the item then they will send you a code to type in on the xbox,go to the marketplace then the store and use a code to type the code in.When you have done this check your xbox live profile because he may have signed up to a different service such as EA access.If you go to my profile then subscriptions all that should show after is the 12 months that you have brought.If you dont trust this website you can buy 12 months from xbox live on your console for £39.99

very good or great? Make up your mind ;)

EDIT - You edited your post and made me look stupid lol
  • i use them all the time they are very good

very good or great? Make up your mind ;)

EDIT - You edited your post and made me look stupid lol
    I havent mastered the commenting system on here yet ahaha i am sorry
  • edited October 2017

You can buy the year through the xbox itself for 35.99 i believe. Never pay monthly. You can buy from someone like game for roughly the same price

2 of my Boys have the yearly Gold subscription - as you say, direct from X-Box. £34.99
  • My son twisted my arm to allow him a free trial of this last month and now Microsoft have taken £5.99 out of my PayPal Account. Ignoring the fact that the console was £350 and the games are £50 each it would seem that to play online I have to pay an extra £72 a year.

I've seen twelve month subscriptions for £35 but don't know if they are a con. Does anyone on here buy a year at a time and if so can you recommend a retailer that won't end up taking my money for nothing?

Thanks

12 month subscription is the way to go.
  • I've been buying 12 months subscriptions up front since 2006 or so. Wouldn't think twice about it. The service Microsoft offers is very, very good IMO. Especially since they introduced 'Games with Gold'. It's a vastly better online service than PlayStation in my experience.
  • Sponsored links:

• JiMMy 85 said:

I've been buying 12 months subscriptions up front since 2006 or so. Wouldn't think twice about it. The service Microsoft offers is very, very good IMO. Especially since they introduced 'Games with Gold'. It's a vastly better online service than PlayStation in my experience.

I think Kings Hill is quite right though. The console price is be high enough to include online gameplay for free IMO.

Having said that, I do agree that I have had very little problems with Microsoft over the last 8/9 years.
  • JiMMy 85 said:

I've been buying 12 months subscriptions up front since 2006 or so. Wouldn't think twice about it. The service Microsoft offers is very, very good IMO. Especially since they introduced 'Games with Gold'. It's a vastly better online service than PlayStation in my experience.

I think Kings Hill is quite right though. The console price is be high enough to include online gameplay for free IMO.

Having said that, I do agree that I have had very little problems with Microsoft over the last 8/9 years.
    Especially as both players need to fork out £50 for the game. Still, all the while people will pay it (like I have this afternoon) there is no reason for Microsoft to stop it. The real insult is that it is twice the price for paying monthly and they induce children to convince their parents that it's a free trial and then start taking the money. If I didn't have notifications on my phone from PayPal I might have been paying £6 a month for, literally, years before I realised - and they must know that. It is also, outrageously, difficult to stop the auto renew. The xBox wouldn't allow it. There was no option. I had to google instructions and go online on a computer - something else that I consider sharp practice!
  • I got my copy of windows 7 from CDKeys - very good. Then it auto upgraded to 10 and is poop.
  • edited October 2017
    Dazzler21 said:

I got my copy of windows 7 from CDKeys - very good. Then it auto upgraded to 10 and is poop.

You should be able to go back if you have a Windows 7 CD or USB Image.

It might even make your computer faster.
  • edited October 2017

JiMMy 85 said:

I think you get what you pay for. XBL is a premium service, and if you play through just one ‘free’ game that you otherwise would have bought, it works out pretty well. If you look at the free online console services, there’s no real comparison.
  • JiMMy 85 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

I think you get what you pay for. XBL is a premium service, and if you play through just one ‘free’ game that you otherwise would have bought, it works out pretty well. If you look at the free online console services, there’s no real comparison.
    It's the same as EA with Ultimate Team though. You are paying a fair price for the game, and then there is all these added extras.

I also get the feeling the original poster may not necessarily have been 100% aware that further costs would be added to play online. I certainly remember not being aware that I would be paying either £6 a month or £35 for a year on top of the wedge I had already forked out for the console.

• Ebay it get codes never paid more than 25 quid a year
  • JiMMy 85 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

It's the same as EA with Ultimate Team though. You are paying a fair price for the game, and then there is all these added extras.

I also get the feeling the original poster may not necessarily have been 100% aware that further costs would be added to play online. I certainly remember not being aware that I would be paying either £6 a month or £35 for a year on top of the wedge I had already forked out for the console.

That comparison doesn’t really work. Ultimate Team can cost you an infinite amount of money. Gold doesn’t feature micro-payments, it’s a one-year subscription.

Having not bought an Xbox for a few years I can’t comment on how clear it is that a subscription is required to go online. That might be an issue, but like I said, it’s a premium service and you get what you pay for. OP has done the homework now and is very much able to get a PS4 instead!
  • My son twisted my arm to allow him a free trial of this last month and now Microsoft have taken £5.99 out of my PayPal Account. Ignoring the fact that the console was £350 and the games are £50 each it would seem that to play online I have to pay an extra £72 a year.

Thanks

As some people have mentioned, he'll have access to 'Games with Gold' which is basically 2-3 free games each month. You just download and install. Some of them are quite good. Might ease the need to keep buying new games.
  • Sponsored links:

• JiMMy 85 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

That comparison doesn’t really work. Ultimate Team can cost you an infinite amount of money. Gold doesn’t feature micro-payments, it’s a one-year subscription.

Having not bought an Xbox for a few years I can’t comment on how clear it is that a subscription is required to go online. That might be an issue, but like I said, it’s a premium service and you get what you pay for. OP has done the homework now and is very much able to get a PS4 instead!
    Admittedly yeah that comparison doesn't work.

But with the Xbox, the point is that you buy the console, should you really have to pay again to then play it online? I can see the issue people have with it, it is indeed a double whammy.

I also doubt buying an xbox, paying for a months subscription and then going and buying a PS4 is a suitable solution!
  • JiMMy 85 said:

Especially as both players need to fork out £50 for the game. Still, all the while people will pay it (like I have this afternoon) there is no reason for Microsoft to stop it. The real insult is that it is twice the price for paying monthly and they induce children to convince their parents that it's a free trial and then start taking the money. If I didn't have notifications on my phone from PayPal I might have been paying £6 a month for, literally, years before I realised - and they must know that. It is also, outrageously, difficult to stop the auto renew. The xBox wouldn't allow it. There was no option. I had to google instructions and go online on a computer - something else that I consider sharp practice!

Erm.. servers are not free to run and maintain you know? It is a reasonable price to pay for a good onlinr experience.
  • edited October 2017
    Join the PC Master race. Cheaper games, better graphics and game play, more games, and free online play. Plus decent VR :smile:
  • DRAddick said:

Join the PC Master race. Cheaper games, better graphics and game play, more games, and free online play :smile:

No chance if he is complaining about the cost of the console lol.
  • JiMMy 85 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

Admittedly yeah that comparison doesn't work.

But with the Xbox, the point is that you buy the console, should you really have to pay again to then play it online? I can see the issue people have with it, it is indeed a double whammy.

I also doubt buying an xbox, paying for a months subscription and then going and buying a PS4 is a suitable solution!
    I did not mean that literally. I was trying to add levity because it feels like you would argue with me until your fingers fell off.

No, I don’t think it’s a double whammy. If anyone is going to spend 350 quid, they should do their homework. That’s all I have to say about that.
  • JiMMy 85 said:

PS has free games on PS Plus as well! Although they have raised the price of it recently.

Have always preferred PlayStation so I buy codes for PS Plus on Amazon. Same with XBL but only do that a month at a time when there’s a game I like out or a 48 hour code for a good games with gold game.
  • SamB09 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

Erm.. servers are not free to run and maintain you know? It is a reasonable price to pay for a good onlinr experience.
    Exactly, admittedly it's been a while since I've used it, but my XBL was always infinity better than the PS version back when I was a CoD fiend.

Paying a monthly fee for access to servers is hardly a new thing, I used to pay monthly to play Ultima Online, then WoW and XBL.

Now consoles are no longer illegal in China I can finally access XBL again here, without a ping killing VPN active, which is nice. Although my Empire: Total War addiction means I have very little spare time for any other games.

Being an adult sucks.