Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ban on fireworks for sale to general public

I know many of you will disagree with me, but as a person that owns dogs, one of which is blind and of a nervous disposition, I hate those weeks around November 5th. I will try to understand people wanting to spend loads of money on things that they set light to and go bang and last a short time, when they can go to a display for less money and they last longer, except that it is over in one night. Why must people let them off night after night over normally about 2 weeks. I have just spent about £20 for tranquilisers for her, although I hate dosing her up with them, otherwise she is demented with fear. As a kid, I must admit I liked them as well, but as I grew up I realised the fear they give animals as well as some people who are nervous. Please for those who must buy them, have a thought for all animals and other people. Thank you

Comments

• Options
    ross1 said:

I know many of you will disagree with me, but as a person that owns dogs, one of which is blind and of a nervous disposition, I hate those weeks around November 5th. I will try to understand people wanting to spend loads of money on things that they set light to and go bang and last a short time, when they can go to a display for less money and they last longer, except that it is over in one night. Why must people let them off night after night over normally about 2 weeks. I have just spent about £20 for tranquilisers for her, although I hate dosing her up with them, otherwise she is demented with fear. As a kid, I must admit I liked them as well, but as I grew up I realised the fear they give animals as well as some people who are nervous. Please for those who must buy them, have a thought for all animals and other people. Thank you

Only if next doors cat stops shitting in my garden
  • Options
    Jokes aside, selling fireworks was much needed income for my little shop. I remember getting into arguments with people telling me they should be banned though
  • Options
    Get a gun dog and train it up with a blank firer, none of mine give a shit about fireworks
  • Options
    totally agree with you ross, used to be one day but goes on for longer than it should.
  • Options
    In the spirit of live and let live, I’m not big on a ban but as a dog owner I do weary of the fact that it’s effectively a month of fireworks given Diwali, Halloween and Bonfire night with a brief respite before New Year. By all means waste your money and knock yourselves out but could it just be a couple of nights a year please?

Miserable of Dartford.
  • Options
    Yep, 2 aborted walks today because the moment my dog heard the bang she was virtually choking herself trying to pull me home.
    It's only October 20th FFS
  • Options
    Sparklers are lethal. Almost as dangerous as conkers.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I also agree with you ross, none of my dogs have liked fireworks.

It really pisses me off because now we've got Halloween and just about any excuse to use fireworks.

I can time it, when they start going off round my way, 2 weeks before and when they finish, 2 weeks afterwards. Always seem to be set off in the same places at the same time, It's like clockwork.

I've even spoken to the cops, I'm sure they know who the arseholes are but do they give a shit!

I can feel a Charles Bronson coming on!
  • Options
    I think fireworks should only be sold to organised displays. I'm quite keen on a dog licence too. I therefore firmly believe that dogs should require a licence in order to buy fireworks.
  • Options
    Not heard any fireworks in Bromley so far.
  • Options

To play Devil’s Advocate as my son used to be terrified of dogs I would get fed up with them being everywhere.

Not only is it a problem when they walk past on a lead and are inquisitive - especially of children, but in parks, (and just about any patch of grass) dogs seem to be allowed to run free.

If I slapped half of the people that would tell me that their dog wouldn’t hurt anyone as my son was screaming in fear at a dog barking at him and trying to jump up to him I’d be in prison until retirement.

I’m not a big fan of fireworks and don’t appreciate them going off until late every night for two weeks but if I had to choose one of the two to be banned from the UK permanently I’d vote for dogs to go.

Just an alternative view.

What's you view on working dogs @kings hill addick police dogs, guide dogs, assistance dogs, Therapy dogs? Genuine question, incidentally if you would like meet my dogs with your family you would be more than welcome. It may help.
  • Options

Bit drastic innit, bit like saying lets ban Christmas coz Turkeys dont like it.

It's absolutely nothing like that.
    Aw gawd.
  • Options

To play Devil’s Advocate as my son used to be terrified of dogs I would get fed up with them being everywhere.

Not only is it a problem when they walk past on a lead and are inquisitive - especially of children, but in parks, (and just about any patch of grass) dogs seem to be allowed to run free.

If I slapped half of the people that would tell me that their dog wouldn’t hurt anyone as my son was screaming in fear at a dog barking at him and trying to jump up to him I’d be in prison until retirement.

I’m not a big fan of fireworks and don’t appreciate them going off until late every night for two weeks but if I had to choose one of the two to be banned from the UK permanently I’d vote for dogs to go.

When I was a child I liked dogs but only ones that we're smaller than me. When I was 4 a dog considerably taller than me was allowed to roam free in a public park (shouldn't be a problem if the owner has it well trained and it answers commands). The dog proceeded to hassle a number of families playing games or having picnics and the owner never bothered to call it. When it can to is it came running straight at me. It would have stopped I'm sure but as a kid I didn't know that so tried to run. The owner said the usual ohh don't worry he won't hurt anyone. Just as it jumped up and brought it's paws down on my face. The deepest scratch was less than a CM from my eye. I could have lost the eye according to the doctor. I still have a small scar today.

Not sure how it's related other than to say that any dog owner that says 'don't worry he won't hurt you' really pisses me off.

I'm also not a fan of fireworks other than on a few set years a day. I'd also stop kids buying then and letting them odd randomly...
  • Options

When I was a child I liked dogs but only ones that we're smaller than me. When I was 4 a dog considerably taller than me was allowed to roam free in a public park (shouldn't be a problem if the owner has it well trained and it answers commands). The dog proceeded to hassle a number of families playing games or having picnics and the owner never bothered to call it. When it can to is it came running straight at me. It would have stopped I'm sure but as a kid I didn't know that so tried to run. The owner said the usual ohh don't worry he won't hurt anyone. Just as it jumped up and brought it's paws down on my face. The deepest scratch was less than a CM from my eye. I could have lost the eye according to the doctor. I still have a small scar today.

Not sure how it's related other than to say that any dog owner that says 'don't worry he won't hurt you' really pisses me off.

I'm also not a fan of fireworks other than on a few set years a day. I'd also stop kids buying then and letting them odd randomly...
    That sucks I'm sorry mate. With my dog I always ask people if they're ok with dogs before I let her go close to them. It's just a courtesy thing as much as anything else.
  • Options

Think of all the dogs and animals that go round Hospitals, old people’s homes and bring great pleasure, to those that have very little left in life.

I doubt that fireworks would do the same.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I totally agree with the OP and have said so for years. I don't dislike fireworks and our two dogs don't seem to mind them but I think there are too many idiots out there for us to allow them loose with dangerous objects like fireworks. Have organised displays and be done with it.
  • Options

Jokes aside, selling fireworks was much needed income for my little shop. I remember getting into arguments with people telling me they should be banned though

banning shops is stupid
    It's not the shop Dog that's the problem it's the owner. ;)
  • Options
    T.C.E said:

What's you view on working dogs @kings hill addick police dogs, guide dogs, assistance dogs, Therapy dogs? Genuine question, incidentally if you would like meet my dogs with your family you would be more than welcome. It may help.
    Thanks for the offer. Funnily enough you did make that offer before when I came on here to share an experience I had while walking him to school when some wealthy ‘privileged’ women allowed their dogs to run riot and took exception to me telling them that they should be on leads if they are not keeping an eye on them.

Thankfully he is much better with dogs now but I still think that many owners shouldn’t be allowed to have them.

I’m not calling for a ban so I wouldn’t want the working dogs you mention to be banned. I was just putting over the point that dogs can scare people every bit as much as fireworks scare dogs. I don’t think that it is any more justified to call for a ban on fireworks than it is for a ban on dogs.

People need to be respectful with fireworks and dog owners need to care for and manage their pets. It seems unfair to ban either of them due to the bahavioir of a minority.
  • Options
    Cats > Dogs
  • Options
    I have dogs and I can see it being bad news this year as it’s on a Sunday. People will do fireworks on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. If it was just one day, it would be fine - it’s now New Year, Christmas, Halloween, birthdays etc.