Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Do we Fear Silence?

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2017

As I am going a bit deaf, yes

Me too.

Actually that’s a god point, enforced silence, perhaps that’s torture.
  • Options

This being your 3rd post Martin in a matter of weeks where you seem to be at odds with your fellow man I think he should try living away from society - perhaps The Outer Hebrides or The Moon might suit your need for peace & quiet.

I think you might be right, goodbye cruel world.
    you'll be back.
  • Options
    If you’ve ever worked in soundproof chambers you would know genuine silence. It a very strange unnatural experience even with others present, no echo whatsoever.
    I don’t like noise or more specificity other peoples. When I get home from work, (i live in quite a quiet road), I like to crank up the music to number 11.
  • Options
    Great song
  • Options

Great song

agreed.
  • Options
    I love it. One of the most enjoyable books I've ever read is 'A book of Silence' by Sara Maitland.
    Probably has connections with my love for the incubation of the DJ Coach.
  • Options

SDAddick said:

cabbles said:

SDAddick said:

Yes. Silence is when I'm left alone with only my thoughts for company and it makes me uncomfortable.

I can relate to that SD. Not so much the silence part, but the power of your thoughts and being alone. Sure enough, just when you're about to go to sleep, that's when it can hit you
    Oh yeah right before you fall asleep is the worst.

Living in hippie towns and cities I constantly come into contact with people who are big into yoga and meditation. And hey, more power to them. But I just can't do those things. To use the exercise analogy, to me running with music is the most relaxing thing in the world. To find a sort of peace or zen for me requires doing things that tire out the brain and body. It really helps to slow down my thoughts, and on a good day I think I get a similar peace and inner calm that people get through yoga or meditation. It will probably sound incredibly strange to a lot of people.

Again, this is not to knock people who can just walk or sit or meditate in silence and be at total peace. I wish I could do that. My brain just isn't wired like that.
    I think that’s different though SD, what your doing is within your own personal space. Bit like driving down an open road at night, with yer favourite piece of car music up loud, I love that.

I’m thinking more of unnecessary noise. I mean who was the bright spark, who thought it would be a good idea, to play shite muzak while waiting to get through to someone on the phone. It’s never “London Calling” by The Clash or “My Life in the Bush of Ghosts” Byrne/Eno but some dross and it’s always guaranteed to make me hang up, maybe that’s what they’re hoping for?
    Ok I think I see what you're saying now, like awkward noise interjected into places it doesn't belong? If so then yes, 100% with you on that.

• Options

I love it. One of the most enjoyable books I've ever read is 'A book of Silence' by Sara Maitland.
    Probably has connections with my love for the incubation of the DJ Coach.

Let's face it, you don't have any choice on the DJ coach given the pariah you are. Shunned, and rightly so by your fellow coach goers for opting for the trust coach twice last season.

• Options
    Does this guy have a job?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I highly recommend this!...

I agree. A really good read. Worth seeking out.
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:

Does this guy have a job?

who?
  • Options
    An interesting take on this yesterday or could be.

Co facilitating a training programme yesterday, we had two deaf students who required their own BSL Interpreters, which was a first experience for me and a rewarding one.

It could have been interesting to get their take on the Thread Title and hopefully if I remember, I’ll ask when we reconvene for Day 2.
  • Options
    This Terror of Silence.

To me, at least in retrospect, the really interesting question is why dullness proves to be such a powerful impediment to attention. Why we recoil from the dull. Maybe it’s because dullness is intrinsically painful; maybe that’s where phrases like ‘deadly dull’ or ‘excruciatingly dull’ come from. But there might be more to it. Maybe dullness is associated with psychic pain because something that’s dull or opaque fails to provide enough stimulation to distract people from some other, deeper type of pain that is always there, if only in an ambient low-level way, and which most of us spend nearly all our time and energy trying to distract ourselves from feeling, or at least from feeling directly or with our full attention. Admittedly, the whole thing’s pretty confusing, and hard to talk about abstractly....but surely something must lie behind not just Muzak in dull or tedious places anymore but now also actual TV in waiting rooms, supermarkets’ checkouts, airports’ gates, SUVs’ back seats.
    Walkmen, iPods, Blackberries, cell phones that attach to your head. This terror of silence with nothing diverting to do. I can’t think anyone really believes that today’s so-called ‘information society’ is just about information. Everyone knows it’s about something else, way down.

Extract from The Pale King by David Foster Wallace. Written sometime before his death in 2008.
  • Options

I highly recommend this!...

Is it about nature?
  • Options
    I hate noise pollution. People who impose their noise on others should be castrated.
  • Options

I hate noise pollution. People who impose their noise on others should be castrated.

There was a young girl on the bus on Saturday playing music from her phone, without earphones.

I did think about saying something but thought I might get a mouthful, so I moved instead to the back of the bus.

The song, being sung by some teen, who sounded like she was being shoved through a mincer while singing, such was the whine in her voice.
  • Options
    Silence itself can actually lead to insanity.

Personally I like to sometimes hear just the sounds of nature. I look forward to a time when vehicles are electric and bone conduction earphones silence people's music on public transport.
  • Options

There was a young girl on the bus on Saturday playing music from her phone, without earphones.

I did think about saying something but thought I might get a mouthful, so I moved instead to the back of the bus.

The song, being sung by some teen, who sounded like she was being shoved through a mincer while singing, such was the whine in her voice.
    People frequently share their music in public places such as trains, buses, parks, cafes etc with no thought for others even if it's a crowded environment or the music has highly offensive lyrics. Any attempt to ask someone in this situation to stop doing so will invariably result in a mouthful of abuse or at worst a physical attack. If you were to reciprocate by playing music at a loud volume next to them they would invariably find this offensive.

We increasingly live in a society where everyone is obssessed with their own rights and seem to forget the rights of others. Some of the behaviour I see now from children is pretty shocking and if you do say anything to them they invariably give you a mouthful of abuse or tell you that you don't have the right to talk to them - they seem to think they're untouchable.

I did bad stuff as a kid but if I got caught I accepted the punishment and didn't expect my parents to support me.

• Options
    Someone I know who had depression couldn't bear silence, and would have to have radios on all around the house so that when a room was entered it wasn't silent.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

The only acceptable response in such a situation is to play your music out loud as well. I'd guarantee that the person in question will either move, turn their music off or say something to you which would then warrant the response "see what happens if we all do it?".

Keep your music on until one of the above three scenarios plays out.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Its fully grown adults on the DLR facetiming and playing videos on a regular basis out loud. I do ask if they have headphones they can use fairly regularly.

I love the silence me. I assess the train when I get on and if I see someone on the phone, people chatting I go the other direction. Perhaps its just because I don't get enough silence at home... my husband doesn't shut up.
  • Options
    Silence is the natural state. Why anyone should fear or have a problem with that amazes me. Adding noise to the natural state is part and parcel of living. Drilling, lawnmowers, hammering can be annoying but are generally transient and necessary. The noise I detest is generally restricted to music played by some ignorant bastard that is loud enough for others to hear. Windows open music blaring. Smartphone without or sometimes even with headphones.

Whenever I travel by train I always book the quiet carriage but even there it’s fairly hit and miss for an undististurbed journey. Pointing out to an inconsiderate co traveller that they are making too much noise is met with disbelief that they should be challenged for making a racket in a “quiet carriage”

I put it down to a general selfishness and lack of respect that has become the norm in our society and also the fact that people I now find are generally as thick as shit.
  • Options

Silence is the natural state. Why anyone should fear or have a problem with that amazes me. Adding noise to the natural state is part and parcel of living. Drilling, lawnmowers, hammering can be annoying but are generally transient and necessary. The noise I detest is generally restricted to music played by some ignorant bastard that is loud enough for others to hear. Windows open music blaring. Smartphone without or sometimes even with headphones.

Whenever I travel by train I always book the quiet carriage but even there it’s fairly hit and miss for an undististurbed journey. Pointing out to an inconsiderate co traveller that they are making too much noise is met with disbelief that they should be challenged for making a racket in a “quiet carriage”

I put it down to a general selfishness and lack of respect that has become the norm in our society and also the fact that people I now find are generally as thick as shit.

I do feel now people are scared of silence and need constant noise around them. The advent of the smartphone has meant a society that seems incapable of switching off.

Noise pollution is a massive cause of stress.
  • Options

This Terror of Silence.

To me, at least in retrospect, the really interesting question is why dullness proves to be such a powerful impediment to attention. Why we recoil from the dull. Maybe it’s because dullness is intrinsically painful; maybe that’s where phrases like ‘deadly dull’ or ‘excruciatingly dull’ come from. But there might be more to it. Maybe dullness is associated with psychic pain because something that’s dull or opaque fails to provide enough stimulation to distract people from some other, deeper type of pain that is always there, if only in an ambient low-level way, and which most of us spend nearly all our time and energy trying to distract ourselves from feeling, or at least from feeling directly or with our full attention. Admittedly, the whole thing’s pretty confusing, and hard to talk about abstractly....but surely something must lie behind not just Muzak in dull or tedious places anymore but now also actual TV in waiting rooms, supermarkets’ checkouts, airports’ gates, SUVs’ back seats.
    Walkmen, iPods, Blackberries, cell phones that attach to your head. This terror of silence with nothing diverting to do. I can’t think anyone really believes that today’s so-called ‘information society’ is just about information. Everyone knows it’s about something else, way down.

Extract from The Pale King by David Foster Wallace. Written sometime before his death in 2008.

no shit Sherlock

• Options

I do feel now people are scared of silence and need constant noise around them. The advent of the smartphone has meant a society that seems incapable of switching off

Noise pollution is a massive cause of stress.
    Agree.
  • Options

This Terror of Silence.

no shit Sherlock

Take your point but I was simply referring to a date unknown.
  • Options

Silence is the natural state.

Silence is being misrepresented quite a lot on this thread, Silence is the complete absence of sound of any nature.

If a room is completely silent, it can only be so without a human inside it.

Tests have shown that a person in a silent room can start to mess with their mind - their heartbeat becomes clearly audible to them which is suggested to be the cause.

https://futurism.com/can-prolonged-silence-really-lead-insanity/
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Silence is the natural state.

Silence is being misrepresented quite a lot on this thread, Silence is the complete absence of sound of any nature.

If a room is completely silent, it can only be so without a human inside it.

Tests have shown that a person in a silent room can start to mess with their mind - their heartbeat becomes clearly audible to them which is suggested to be the cause.

https://futurism.com/can-prolonged-silence-really-lead-insanity/
    There is all kinds of constant noise that cannot be detected by humans without technology. When I say silence is the natural state I mean it is for humans until the planet or some other means changes that.

I don’t think people are suggesting total silence is desirable but just that noise pollution is one of the worst pollutions you can encounter.

• Options
    edited December 2017

noise pollution is one of the worst pollutions you can encounter.

Sorry to be picky, but that I definitely can't agree with.

Vehicle, Aircraft and Industrial pollution are far, far worse...

It's more irritating in the immediate moment it occurs than those listed above, but it's certainly not the worst we encounter. It's pretty much harmless other than being a bit annoying.