Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chislehurst School for Girls, Bromley - Ofsted report or lack thereof

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2018

I see that, and take your point, but if the issues no longer apply, why highlight them? I have to say if I were in charge I would highlight them, because if I were the school I would be quite proud to show that I could react so quickly and learn from my mistakes (are you watching Roland... :wink: ). I would consider it a positive, as a prospective scholar's parent.

That they have taken less than three months to show such a marked improvement shows that it can be done, and therefore I still see no reason why that grace period cannot be applied in future to all other schools, and as I said, save taxpayers money?

Agree with all of that especially your 1st paragraph and what I put to the school some months ago, but I don't think it is appropriate to actively withhold vital information from parents like that (or prospective parents at the time). It leaves a very sour taste.

ps, I've been trying to obtain a copy of the OFSTED report for nearly 6 months or you could say at least 4 months since it's delayed issue to the school back in September. Only a FOI request has meant I have obtained it.
  • Options
    Have just become a governor at my kids school and we are on OFSTED alert so have followed this thread with interest - thanks @Rob7Lee
  • Options
    As an “old girl” of the school (I was a pupil in the 60s when it was still a grammar school), I find this thread very sad reading.

I can understand the frustration of parents waiting so long to see last May’s Ofsted report, but having been a teacher myself I am also well aware of weaknesses within the inspection process, and why a school might have cause to challenge aspects of a report if they feel it is not a fair representation of the facts. A difficult situation all round.

I very much hope for all concerned that the publication of both reports will now settle concerns all round, and that teachers and students alike can now settle back into their core tasks of teaching and learning! Trust lost is a very difficult thing to regain, but I hope it is possible, if only for the sake of the girls' education.
  • Options

Have just become a governor at my kids school and we are on OFSTED alert so have followed this thread with interest - thanks @Rob7Lee

Good luck, after over ten years as a Governor and 3 ofsteds I don't envy you! Just do the best you can and especially support the staff as it is they who really feel the brunt of OFSTED. I've rarely met a teacher who isn't 100% dedicated and tries to do their best in sometimes difficult circumstances.
  • Options
    N01R4M said:

As an “old girl” of the school (I was a pupil in the 60s when it was still a grammar school), I find this thread very sad reading.

I can understand the frustration of parents waiting so long to see last May’s Ofsted report, but having been a teacher myself I am also well aware of weaknesses within the inspection process, and why a school might have cause to challenge aspects of a report if they feel it is not a fair representation of the facts. A difficult situation all round.

I very much hope for all concerned that the publication of both reports will now settle concerns all round, and that teachers and students alike can now settle back into their core tasks of teaching and learning! Trust lost is a very difficult thing to regain, but I hope it is possible, if only for the sake of the girls' education.

It's not a bad school and never was in my view (over the last 6 years anyway), if I felt it was that bad I would have pulled my children out. But as a parent you can't know everything so rely on the school to be open and honest and to an extent inspections to give you a broader view 'under the lid'. The school should have just been open and honest, as @Algarveaddick has said it could have been seen as a real positive how they have rectified things so quickly rather than withholding the information and report that they've had for 4 months, have still not published and clearly agreed with the majority of the issues as have taken positive action to resolve.

As it was both Staff and some Governors were not exactly discreet about it so most pupils knew the school had a fairly bad OFSTED inspection and specifically around safeguarding issues, yet the school still remained 100% zipped lip leaving us all in limbo as to exactly what the issues were since the summer break.
  • Options
    Watching the OFSTED shenanigans at the school my missus teaches in, I can't help but think the whole system needs a complete and utter re-think. Weeks of preparation when the inspection was due, and by all accounts, the inspection type was incredibly short; an afternoon and one classroom checked. (If the school was bordering on either outstanding or inadequate, there would've been a subsequent inspection IIRC.)

All the inspectors get to see is a very rehearsed and choreographed version of the average school day; where staff will have no doubt had numerous meetings in the weeks (or months) leading up to OFSTEDs arrival, leading to an uncharacteristic late night on the evening that OFSTED informs the school of their intention to visit. Give it a week or two and paperwork will no doubt begin to slip back to the mean, and the classrooms will look rather more like their usual weary selfs.

Add to that the fact that Chislehurst appears to have played a blinder - chanced an inspection, f*cked it up, legally surpressed the document, and put in a bit of effort to get a better outcome at another inspection - you have to question just what the system achieves? (Other than a decent day-rate for the inspectors themselves?)

It's not a system fit for the children it's supposed to protect, it's not a system fit for the well being of the staff it's supposed to support, and based on this thread, it's not a system fit for the parents who would like clarity and visibility either.