Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Walsall v Charlton | Tue 26 Sep | 7:45pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Walsall v Charlton Athletic
Tuesday 26th September 2017 … 7:45pm Kick-Off
Referee: Carl Boyeson (East Yorkshire)

Introduction

September hasn’t been the greatest of months, despite a victory over Southend, performances have been lacking and just one point (coming against Bury on Saturday) in the last three games hasn’t been good enough for Karl Robinson and his side, especially when you take into account our last three opponents. This Tuesday night sees the Addicks travelling to the Midlands where they’ll face Walsall. Its still early in the season yet anything but three points and you have to think that regular service is slowly beginning to resume.

The Opposition
Name: Walsall | Manager: Jon Whitney
League Form: (P)-9 | (W)-3 | (D)-3 | (L)-3 | (GS)-13 | (GC)-16

When Dean Smith departed Walsall for Brentford many fans wondered what would become of their club, a question greatly enhanced when key players: Rico Henry and Ronnie Sawyers made the trip down to London to rejoin their Manager… Incoming was the unknown; Jon Whitney and fans perhaps feared the worst… Yet those fears were unfounded as Walsall never really struggled last term and finished just a place and two points behind a Charlton side that should have been much further up the League table.

This season it’s been very much the same, with three wins / draws and defeats… The Saddlers sit in 13th place and look set for another comfortable year in mid-table. The goals for Erhun Oztumer keep coming and having scored five this term, the ex-Charlton youngster will certainly be one to contain tomorrow night… Over recent weeks, it’s been a case of struggling against impressive Goalkeepers for our attacking line and against Walsall that should be no different with Mark Gillespie joining in the summer from Carlisle.

Special mention should go to the Walsall academy who despite having the likes of Aston Villa on their doorstep, keep churning out youngsters for their First-Team… One of latest players is now 21-years old; yet having played on Saturday could now appear against a club whose fans regard his surname as legendary. Of course I refer to Liam Kinsella… I need say no more!!

Charlton Team News
The good news about Tuesday is the fact that Ricky Holmes will return to the squad having served his suspension, yet the bad news that fans will be forced to sweat upon is the fact that Jason Pearce left the Valley on Saturday using a pair of crutches could mean that there will be no involvement from one of the early Player of the Year favourites… In addition to Pearce, the second of those favourites: Billy Clarke, could also be missing tomorrow evening after he was substituted against Bury after struggling with back problems.

Of course we continue to wait on the fitness of Ben Reeves and with Mark Marshall discussed more by Karl Robinson its more likely we’ll see the latter appearing in the league before we get to see the former… Should Jason Pearce be missing though it’ll surely be a straight swap at the back with either Ezri Konsa or Naby Sarr coming into Defence… Should both Pearce and Clarke be missing, then who knows how the squad will line-up as for the first time this season, our lack of squad depth will be clear for all to see!!

Amos
Solly | Bauer | Sarr | Dasilva
Konsa | Forster-Caskey
Holmes | Clarke | Fosu
Magennis

Substitutes Bench: Phillips | Jackson | Dijksteel | Aribo | Dodoo | Ahearne-Grant | Hackett-Fairchild

Prediction
The overall result will completely depend on who starts really yet Walsall has always been a mixed bag when it comes to Charlton results… Tis the season of bad results and for some reason don’t see that changing with there being another two points lost.

Comments

• The Poles will do us 2-1
  • Good pre-match analysis - but Walsall are the Saddlers, not the Shakers.
  • Good pre-match analysis - but Walsall are the Saddlers, not the Shakers.

FFS!! thanks for the spot... Now amended
  • Charlton draw
    Charlton draw
    Now you've drawn once you'll draw more

2 - 2 and Reeves and Marshall rise to the status of Messi and Ronaldo.
  • back to winning ways, 0-2 Holmes and Josh
  • 0-1 Holmes to the rescue.
  • Like most, I got Wigan and Gills wrong so went for a defeat against Bury, at least only partly wrong, so I am going for a 1-0 defeat again and hope at last I am wrong for the good reasons
  • 1-1 JFC....Will start well, concede the first goal then struggle to get back into it but WILL get back into it.
  • RHF playing for the U23s today, which presumably rules him out for tomorrow. If Clarke isn't fit, I'd like to see Aribo come in for him, with Sarr replacing Pearce

Either way I have no confidence for tomorrow, expecting another disappointing result...
  • Comfortable away win 4-0.
  • Sponsored links:

• Comfortable away win 4-0.

Its my birthday tomorrow and i would love this present :smile:
  • Another 1-1 draw , Charlton to score first through the return of the Prodigal Holmes, but we concede a late equaliser after 80 mins from a corner.
  • Not sure to be honest. Glad Holmes will be back but got a feeling the best we can get out of this will be a draw
  • Kashi not mentioned in the pre match. Is there something wrong with him?
  • redman said:

Kashi not mentioned in the pre match. Is there something wrong with him?

He's tired.

• MrLargo said:

Robbo is really starting to get my heckles up again, with his ridiculous pre and post-match witterings. For the second week on the spin, more "I can't believe we didn't win" waffle. The facts are, you generally don't hear managers of promotion/title challenging clubs moaning about missed chances, because they usually have players who are capable of converting chances. You should have stuck up for yourself over the summer, when it was abundantly clear that your boss needed to spend some proper money to get us out of the situation that they've got us into.

Post Gillingham: “You can’t go away from home and miss four, five, six chances. Everyone in there is frustrated. Our effort was there. Our job was to create chances but we have to take them.

Post Bury: We did enough to win. It was frustrating. When the whistle went, it was like you could hear a pin drop around the stadium. I don`t know who was more frustrated - the supporters or us.

And what the farck is this about:

Everyone knows Bury are in a false position. Everyone knows they`ve got top players that will compete against teams in this league and their goal shows that. It was a great finish by one of the best strikers in the league.

I didn't know this. Was anyone else aware of Burycelona, the Galacticos of League 1? Even though they finished 19th last season and are down in 21st this year. And there was me thinking that it was just a totally unsatisfactory result against a team that'll be pleased if they stay can clear of relegation.

Incidentally, if Jermaine Beckford really is one of the best strikers in the league then why on earth didn't we sign him? Released by Preston at the end of last season, so we could have picked him up on a free transfer.

Another draw at Walsall, another couple of places we slip down the table, another chapter of excuses from Rent-a-Gob.

Agree to an extent ... the last few post match comments have been very much of the infamous 'Mowbray middlesborough' ilk!
  • MrLargo said:

Robbo is really starting to get my heckles up again, with his ridiculous pre and post-match witterings. For the second week on the spin, more "I can't believe we didn't win" waffle. The facts are, you generally don't hear managers of promotion/title challenging clubs moaning about missed chances, because they usually have players who are capable of converting chances. You should have stuck up for yourself over the summer, when it was abundantly clear that your boss needed to spend some proper money to get us out of the situation that they've got us into.

Post Gillingham: “You can’t go away from home and miss four, five, six chances. Everyone in there is frustrated. Our effort was there. Our job was to create chances but we have to take them.

Post Bury: We did enough to win. It was frustrating. When the whistle went, it was like you could hear a pin drop around the stadium. I don`t know who was more frustrated - the supporters or us.

And what the farck is this about:

Everyone knows Bury are in a false position. Everyone knows they`ve got top players that will compete against teams in this league and their goal shows that. It was a great finish by one of the best strikers in the league.

I didn't know this. Was anyone else aware of Burycelona, the Galacticos of League 1? Even though they finished 19th last season and are down in 21st this year. And there was me thinking that it was just a totally unsatisfactory result against a team that'll be pleased if they stay can clear of relegation.

Incidentally, if Jermaine Beckford really is one of the best strikers in the league then why on earth didn't we sign him? Released by Preston at the end of last season, so we could have picked him up on a free transfer.

Another draw at Walsall, another couple of places we slip down the table, another chapter of excuses from Rent-a-Gob.

Priceless
  • Sponsored links:

• 1-2. Holmes (again) and Nobby comes good...
  • Walsall 3 - 2 Charlton
  • I think we will struggle to score and the game is likely to hinge around who gets the first goal. I think we will need 2 to win and 1 to draw!
  • Having predicted the last 2 games results spot on can I be right three in a row.......

3-2 Charlton, winner in the last 5 minutes.

Robinson, listen up, if it's 2-2 with 5 minutes to go, get Jackson and his magic head on, he'll hold his hand up as he runs up for the corner and bury it in the top corner. Or alternatively put Doodoo on and settle for the draw.
  • Konsa for Pearce
    Holmes for KAG
    1-2 to Charlton
    Holmes and JFC
  • 4-0, Sarr Hat-Trick and Amos.
  • tricky game (aint they all proving to be so) against another club that punches well above its weight .. they have been there or thereabouts over the past couple of seasons despite losing players and managers

I'll be happy with a point from this despite being totally p&%$£ed off with 1-1s, still better than a 0-1 or worse

Walsall 1 v CAFC 1

(as mentioned @ForeverAddickted .. no Kashi in your line up .. I suspect a slip of the finger, yours not his)
  • 2-0 Walsall but hoping that won't happen really! There's the positively gone
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!